Hai

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.haihoangtran.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium
Hai,

First off buddy, what an awesome reply! You have my gratitude for such a detailed response; I appreciate the time.

Ok, so it is funny you mentioned the dealership. I actually went ahead and picked up a 2020 (originally ordered a 21, but had issues with the dealer being funny on the price, delivery date and running my credit running my credit too early etc,) today, having just got back with the car. At the time, the dealership did offer a lifetime warranty on their paint protection, but they called it "Glasscoat". It is some product by the company "Simoniz". As it did not have the word ceramic in the name and actually described things about being a clearcoat, I was unsure as to what it actually was. In the dealership I declined it, as I did a quick google search and learned that the application of said product only takes 20 minutes or so, when really I know from my estimates that ceramic coating takes a lot more time to do, as you have to factor in the paint correction and detailing prior etc.

Was I mistaken and should I call them back; getting this product /treatment for my car instead? I ask, as the dealer was going to offer it to me for $900, instead of their usual MSRP of $1,199. Note that the lowest quote I have been given from a somewhat local detailing company is $1,250 and with that, I have a warranty of four years (may possible be 2).

Yes, I was also of the same mind, and opted for the toyota PPF, as some protection is better than none.

This is the first car forum I have joined and I am genuinely surprised by how many awesome, helpful and intelligent people there are. I have been skeptical of forums since the advent of "trolls", but this site gives me hope!
I'm glad that my original response was of help to you and congratulations on the new car. Hopefully, the Toyota PPF will last you a long time.

When it comes to the amount of time to ceramic coat a car, I will say that it is possible to get it done in 20 minutes but a lot of conditions have to be met and, of course, it's dependent on the "ceramic" coating. That being said if they are including paint correction, there's little to no chance of it getting done in 20 minutes. It has to be the briefest, just running a pad over the paint job to be able to get anywhere near that time.

I personally coated all the PPF of my car myself and would recommend it as it saves you a lot of money. There's a video of that on my YouTube if you're interested in getting a look at the general concept. https://youtu.be/wXUsZCaPIBk
Sponsored

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
@Hai I'm interested in coating my winter wheels. Do you have any beginner-friendly DIY recommendations that should help in the winter months?

Hai

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.haihoangtran.com
Car(s)
@Hai I'm interested in coating my winter wheels. Do you have any beginner-friendly DIY recommendations that should help in the winter months?
Coating wheels is essentially done in the same way as paint. You wash, decontaminate, paint correct if necessary and coat.

How specific of an answer are you looking for because there’s a bit of explanation if you’re unfamiliar with correctly detailing a vehicle.

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
I'm a complete amateur when it comes to correctly detailing a vehicle. My prior cars were rough on the outside when I got them, so I never gave them any TLC like I'm trying to do with this one.

I know there's a lot of misinformation out there, but if you can share a few good pointers or resources, that would be incredibly helpful.

Hai

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.haihoangtran.com
Car(s)
I'm a complete amateur when it comes to correctly detailing a vehicle. My prior cars were rough on the outside when I got them, so I never gave them any TLC like I'm trying to do with this one.

I know there's a lot of misinformation out there, but if you can share a few good pointers or resources, that would be incredibly helpful.
Contact me via email or my website contact page and I’ll try to make things as simple as possible.

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
Thanks. You've got an email.

Edit:

After some delay, finally got my Supra back from the detailer. Ended up with full Xpel PPF topped with Gtechniq CSU.

Edges were wrapped, though corners were more noticeable than expected. Saw some moisture, but was assured that it'll disappear in a few days. Will keep an eye on it, but will also have a follow-up inspection in a month.

Rainy day today. CSU is definitely more hydrophobic than just paint. Not as much as I would like, but I'll see he recommends EXO.

Last edited:

Cruzifer

First Name
Valente
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra (Renaissance Red 2.0)
Might be a dumb question but is ceramic coat enough to protection the car or is PPF a must as well? Not trying to really cut corners but this stuff gets very expensive lol. I also ran into a problem that no one around my way can PPF anyways.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
Might be a dumb question but is ceramic coat enough to protection the car or is PPF a must as well? Not trying to really cut corners but this stuff gets very expensive lol. I also ran into a problem that no one around my way can PPF anyways.
It's basically how far do you want to take your auto care and how much do you want to spend. Wax would be the cheapest and least protective, ceramic cost more in material plus the time involved to apply it is considerably more as you have to correct the paint by removing any scratches or swirls so it can adhere properly. PPF is exactly what is in the title, protection film, you are applying a rubber/plastic film over the paint. Then you can put coatings or waxes on top of the film for added protection and shine.

I've been doing auto detail for myself and on the side for friends and family for over 10 years. It's definitely a process but all very easy to learn. There are lots of resources out there but check out autogeekonline. There's a ton of how to articles and write ups on auto detailing.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I too do clearbra installs and detail my own cars for hobby and been doing this for a very long time..

If one was going to do clearbra on their Supra's, I suggest going to a place that does custom installation using a roll, not a pre-cut because the edges are pretty ugly. Edges can highlight/outline due to reflection, or can get contaminated from normal use. I am a very picky guy when it comes to garage queens so I went without clearbra on my Supra. I am only using polymer sealant, drive only surface roads, and keep like 5-6 car lengths from other cars. I have zero chips thus far.

My other cars including my daily driver have pre-cut clearbra I installed and they look fine as they are my 'fun driving cars'.. and the protection benefits out weight the edges I can see from a foot away so it is fine.

Samuel Robertson

First Name
Samuel Robertso
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I have been driving my car for a couple of years now with the polyurethane film on it from F-Performance brand. During this time, the film has not turned yellow and no bubbles have appeared on it. There have been cases when stones hit the car body but the film withstood all this!

velocity2325

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Honda Accord, 2009 Scion tC, 2014 Tundra, 2021 A91 Supra
So I found a shop that will ppf entire hood, front bumper, both fenders, and mirror caps with Xpel for 2.8k. Is that reasonable? Just wanted to see your guys opinion

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
If that is not using pre-cuts then I suppose that is reasonable. If the quality of the installation is guaranteed top notch, I wouldn't hesitate.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve read a bit on this topic on other forums and settled on this:

If I get a white car, immediate aftermarket ppf and I’ll wax the car myself.
If I get a dark car (black, blue), immediate aftermarket ppf and ceramic coat.

One question: if you cover matte black with a glossy ppf (like on the mirrors, sills and rear diffuser) will it come out gloss black or matte?
Yes, anything matte finish will turn glossy. Xpel has a special satin PPF for the flat sliver Supra color. Did Xpel PPF on front bumper and rockers, the chin spoiler and side skirts came out glossy, which was OK, because it matches the A-pillars. Went ahead and then did full hood and rear diffuser so it all matches.

Attachments

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
So I found a shop that will ppf entire hood, front bumper, both fenders, and mirror caps with Xpel for 2.8k. Is that reasonable? Just wanted to see your guys opinion
Yes, close enuf if you are in a major metro area.