Production LED headlights and taillights first look!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
What's the go with the SPX with the four cylinder? The early mules definitely had a four and DCT
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
What's the go with the SPX with the four cylinder? The early mules definitely had a four and DCT
4cyl is still a go atm, but I think I remember overhearing that BMW was doing most of the testing on that car with Toyota putting full focus on the Spec-B. Same chassis and they apply changes to both, but Toyota is far more involved in the top spec at this point.

I havent heard anything about the rumored third spec though, the lower powered 6cyl; at this point, I have to assume that's smoke and mirrors.

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
4cyl is still a go atm, but I think I remember overhearing that BMW was doing most of the testing on that car with Toyota putting full focus on the Spec-B. Same chassis and they apply changes to both, but Toyota is far more involved in the top spec at this point.

I havent heard anything about the rumored third spec though, the lower powered 6cyl; at this point, I have to assume that's smoke and mirrors.
is it safe to assume the 4 cylinder will be a 100% BMW engine while the Spec-B is a BMW/Toyota engine? i just hope the top of the line 6 cyl model has some distinct styling cues so it stands out from the "volume" 4 cyl model...

PREDATOR786

First Name
Ismail
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
EX: 1994 Toyota Corolla AE92 Twincam 16V Turbo (Jade Green). EX: 2006 VW Jetta MKV 2.0 FSi Sportline (Black). EX: 2018 Toyota C-HR 1.2T Plus CVT (Nebula Blue). Current: 2020 Toyota GR Supra (Prominence Red)
the car on the left is SPX spec-A and the car on the right is SPX spec-B; they are different trim levels (hence the different brakes), although that Spec-A isnt wearing some of the updated items.

Spec-B is the one everyone cares about anyways :)
So, in other words:

Spec A
4 cyl engine
smaller brakes and wheels
halogen/xenon headlights
LED tail lights (afterburner similar to JZA80)

Spec B
6 cyl engine
at least 4 piston front calipers with bigger discs
LED headlights with DRL's similar to FT1
LED tails with design close to FT1

I wonder if there will be different bumper/arch design to differentiate the models (like the Audi RS models for example, that have bulkier arches and different bumper design to make it stand out from the lesser models).

South Africa is going to get r@ped with the price though - the Toyota 86 facelift (MT) sells for ZAR 495 000 (USD 35 000 at the current exchange rate)...

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yep^ you pretty much have it there... there will likely be a few other additions as well to set it apart, but it will be immediately evident which car is which once owners are driving them around.

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
yep^ you pretty much have it there... there will likely be a few other additions as well to set it apart, but it will be immediately evident which car is which once owners are driving them around.

so there WILL be a Celica..HA! knew it :)

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so there WILL be a Celica..HA! knew it :)
given how different the models are vs just say an N/A MKIV vs TT, thats a fairly accurate assessment IMO.

That said, for now they're just different trim levels.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ This prototype still looks to be sporting a lot of cladding. Probably going to be several months till we see unpadded production bodies. :coffee:

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
^ This prototype still looks to be sporting a lot of cladding. Probably going to be several months till we see unpadded production bodies. :coffee:
A few months after they unveil the car at Geneva.

Just like the pattern we saw with the FT86II concept - a few months later, prototypes without cladding appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.