Pros/Cons 275/35-19 and 295/35-19 on 9.5 and 10.5 rims???

ronncat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche Carrera S, Porsche Macan GTS
:)
Hi there,

First post!! My MY21 Supra will be boarding the ship for the long trip here later this week and I'm trying to get a jump on ordering parts as I see many of them can take months to arrive.

I have historically swapped wheels and tires on any vehicle that I have EVER bought and this one will be no exception. Planning on going the "standard aftermarket" 19X9.5 and 19X10.5 with appropriate offsets. Have a question on tire sizes however....

I am seriously considering swapping the stock rear tires (275/35-19) to the fronts and then purchasing (295/35-19) tires for the rears. In my eyes, this has a couple of benefits:

1) I save a few hundred $$$ because I don't need to buy all 4 tires
2) Since the tires are .55" larger in diameter than stock, they should fill the wheel wells a bit better and possibly I can get away without lowering the car.
3) The 35 aspect ratio on the tire gives a bit more cush to the ride and a little more protection to the rims. This is a benefit in my mind as I had the pleasure of bending one of the HRE's on my C2S with 30 aspect tires.
4) The speedometer on my cars have always read a couple of % high. By going to a tire with a diameter (and thusly rolling circumference) 2% larger, the speedo should be more accurate after the tire swap.

I was hoping that others on the forum would have additional insights as to the pros and cons of my plans. One of my concerns is to make sure there is no tire/fender interference rubbing. My wife has already threatened my life if there is any.... I read where one member switched his rear tires to the front with no problems, but want to make sure. Also, will there be any negative effects to handling with the 20mm wider tire on the front? I know that 275 and 295 tires on 9.5" and 10.5" rims are at the maximum recommended limits (by some websites) but I realize that the slightly more convex sidewall as a result may provide a little extra protection for the rim and help prevent curb rash...

Comments are very welcome. I want to do it right. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
If money is a concern, you can also use all four stock tires on the 9.5/10.5 wheels as-is. Then just replace them whenever they wear out.

OP
OP

ronncat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If money is a concern, you can also use all four stock tires on the 9.5/10.5 wheels as-is. Then just replace them whenever they wear out.
Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I have seen a few pictures where other forum members did as you suggested. I personally am not a huge fan of the stretched tire look and so I would not be moving the stock tires to new rims...

Luckily, a few Benjamins one way or the other won't make or break me either...

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I have seen a few pictures where other forum members did as you suggested. I personally am not a huge fan of the stretched tire look and so I would not be moving the stock tires to new rims...

Luckily, a few Benjamins one way or the other won't make or break me either...
How did you get on with this, I'm in EXACTLY the same position now with identical sizes, any rubbing or negative effects.
Thanks

OP
OP

ronncat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How did you get on with this, I'm in EXACTLY the same position now with identical sizes, any rubbing or negative effects.
Thanks
Thanks

Mark,
I have done a few upgrades to my car along with the tires. I mounted Supra specific Advan Beyond GT's and lowered the car on HKS springs. Lastly, I added the ZL1 Rock Guards. Finally I coded out the Sport Suspension in Bimmercode and run normal suspension at all times.
That being said, there was rubbing of the rear tires at full compression on the inside of the rock guard flaps. Would happen once in awhile, but got a bit annoying, So I trimmed the flaps and the rubbing completely disappeared. Without the addition of the flaps, there would be ZERO rubbing.
Hope this answers your question.

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
Mark,
I have done a few upgrades to my car along with the tires. I mounted Supra specific Advan Beyond GT's and lowered the car on HKS springs. Lastly, I added the ZL1 Rock Guards. Finally I coded out the Sport Suspension in Bimmercode and run normal suspension at all times.
That being said, there was rubbing of the rear tires at full compression on the inside of the rock guard flaps. Would happen once in awhile, but got a bit annoying, So I trimmed the flaps and the rubbing completely disappeared. Without the addition of the flaps, there would be ZERO rubbing.
Hope this answers your question.
What tyre sizes did you eventually go with?

zain2050

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 prem
275/35 in the front and 295/35 in the rear. No issues at all...
Sorry I am bit confused. I am looking to use the stock wheels and stock suspension. I am going to put 275 35 r19 on the front (which has 255 35 r19 currently and I believe the stock rim size is 9"). I am just curious to know if its gonna cause rubbing or anything other issue. Or modifications have to be made.

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
Sorry I am bit confused. I am looking to use the stock wheels and stock suspension. I am going to put 275 35 r19 on the front (which has 255 35 r19 currently and I believe the stock rim size is 9"). I am just curious to know if its gonna cause rubbing or anything other issue. Or modifications have to be made.
No rubbing with mine

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
4) The speedometer on my cars have always read a couple of % high. By going to a tire with a diameter (and thusly rolling circumference) 2% larger, the speedo should be more accurate after the tire swap.
What does that mean? Your speedo is calibrated for whatever size the car originally comes OEM with. Putting taller/shorter tires throw them off.

Bassoonytoon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nitro Yellow / 2017 86 Special Editio
That’s true but most speedometers read a percent or two high. Unless you’re riding motorcycles then they’re often 5-10% high. I think they do this for legal reasons. It’s hard to say “my car was showing the speed limit” if you’re speeding when it’s industry standard for all cars to read high.

There’s even an option in Bimmercode to eliminate (or more likely reduce) the speedometer reading high.

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I get that. But there are other variables like tread wear, and tire pressure that can also impact the speedo reading but at the end of the day, these are immaterial and not what most people are trying to chase after by changing tire sizes. You are more likely going to think about how shorter/taller tires impact your gearing which translates to acceleration and choice of gear on a track. For normal daily driving, your concern is more likely about ground clearance if you choose to run shorter tires.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
So I have 295/35/19 on my TE's right now, they are pretty much done and I bought a set of 305/35/19's to replace them, same tire just larger. my te's are 10.5 in the rear, am I gonna run into any issues? how off is my speedo gonna be?
Sponsored