PSA: Many Carbon Fiber Parts Aren't

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
I see a lot of posts with CF parts here. A quick PSA: many of these aren't actual carbon fiber. They're plastic parts with hydro-dipped decals (edit: or perhaps thin overlays). This is the case for all the steering wheels I've seen, and the majority of interior bits, including the OEM center console. Not that big a deal to me, but may matter to you. Ask the manufacturer about this if it bothers you.

If you're thinking about replacing parts with carbon, a good option is to have hydrographics done to your parts locally. You'll get the same results. That's actually how the majority of parts you order have been done.

Example:

fc3xTbG.jpg

Not a carbon wheel, below. This is a hydro-dipped decal

dYjIUaN.jpg

3jh21m3.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I see a lot of posts with CF parts here. A quick PSA: many of these aren't actual carbon fiber. They're plastic parts with hydro-dipped decals. This is the case for all the steering wheels I've seen, and the majority of interior bits, including the OEM center console. Not that big a deal to me, but may matter to you. Ask the manufacturer about this if it bothers you.

If you're thinking about replacing parts with carbon, a good option is to have hydrographics done to your parts locally. You'll get the same results. That's actually how the majority of parts you order have been done.

Example:

fc3xTbG.jpg

Not a carbon wheel, below. This is a hydro-dipped decal

dYjIUaN.jpg

3jh21m3.jpg
Not true, but okay

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Meh. Either way.

While I love the look of carbon fiber, I really don't care if it's fake or not. As long as it LOOKS real.

It's meant for visual aesthetics in the Supra. This isn't a Pagani Huayra.

OP
OP
diablo2112

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
This was an embarrassing moment for OP.
Why? The parts I listed aren't real carbon, period. Take them off, you'll see the molded plastic, tabs, and imprints. Sure, you can purchase real carbon for many parts, that's great. Other parts you can buy are just overlays and graphics, as I showed.

Drifter

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I have purchased 28 carbon fiber parts for my Supra and have verified that they are all real carbon fiber. It is easy to determine if a part is real carbon fiber or not.
intake.jpg
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
Where did you get those floor mats?

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Why? The parts I listed aren't real carbon, period. Take them off, you'll see the molded plastic, tabs, and imprints. Sure, you can purchase real carbon for many parts, that's great. Other parts you can buy are just overlays and graphics, as I showed.
No you stated they were all hydrodipped which was wrong.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Have you actually purchased these items and inspected them for yourself?

Here is a pic of the underside of the rear cubby piece and as you can easy see it's all CF...The clips shown are actually epoxied onto the CF molded part....And with this part the walls are noticeably thinner than the plastic OE part so it's not an overlay either...

rear CF cubby clips.jpg

Real CF shown below....

CF rear cubby 4.jpg

Last edited:

SupraMK86

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 3.0 Premium
It's embarrassing for you since you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Perhaps, we can make a list of "real" vs "overlay" part suppliers or parts....
Many folks spend $$$ thinking they'll get actual CF.

Blunt comments ahead:
In the end, why do we even care if the cup holder of 500grams goes down to 400grams... Only people who do serious track time or people who cry after losing a street race care about weight savings. Otherwise get quality CF overlay or dipping sauce if it's only for aesthetics...Unless the part actually changes the design, rigidity, etc...
Weight savings of these small parts are debatable anyhow.
Sprung weight...

SupraMK86

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 3.0 Premium
Perhaps, we can make a list of "real" vs "overlay" part suppliers or parts....
Many folks spend $$$ thinking they'll get actual CF.
All of the overlay parts I have seen for this car are made from real carbon fiber using very thin gauge prepreg. The OEM console is a polymer molded part that has been skinned in carbon fiber. It's not a hydro dip, although it may look like one if you smoke crack first.
Sponsored