Purchasing a new Supra 2.0 (Questions about reliability)

feitu232

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
HI Everyone!

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2021 supra 2.0. This car will mainly be my daily until winter hits or when it snows. (I do have two other cars)

I did have a couple questions, when I went to the dealer one of the sales person was telling me that I wasn't allowed to sit in it because it drains the battery whenever they open the door. They mentioned I need to keep the car door locked and drive it at least 3 to 4 times a week otherwise my car will die?

Also I saw on another forum that the supra was burning oil excessively. I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue or if it was mainly a 3.0 problem

Thanks!
Sponsored

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
HI Everyone!

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2021 supra 2.0. This car will mainly be my daily until winter hits or when it snows. (I do have two other cars)

I did have a couple questions, when I went to the dealer one of the sales person was telling me that I wasn't allowed to sit in it because it drains the battery whenever they open the door. They mentioned I need to keep the car door locked and drive it at least 3 to 4 times a week otherwise my car will die?

Also I saw on another forum that the supra was burning oil excessively. I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue or if it was mainly a 3.0 problem

Thanks!
Find a new dealer. That guy is cracked out and knows nothing about cars.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well to be fair who knows what the customers who have no interest in buying the car do to the car once they're sitting in it, from turning on everything, lights, interior lights, etc. which slowly drain the battery and scratching things. Car has been known to keep alive even after you close the door and walk away until delay timer kicks in or someone turns off the radio / system but holding the Radio off button for few seconds. So, from an annoyed dealer having to keep kids out of the car standpoint, I can understand him...
If you're a serious buyer, put down a $500 or $1000 down immediately to shut him up, if he still is like you can't sit in it, they politely flip something to him and leave :D
I don't want to be harsh to any person working at a dealer because of the foot traffic they get and it certainly isn't a reflection of their service, hence I can't easily suggest staying away from them...

And yes, if it's a weekender, it is advised for many cars batteries to be placed on a battery tender and people in the forum had issues with Supra's that sat on dealers for long periods, yet others didn't take care of their battery... So, he's not exactly wrong there either.. Supra has BMW AGM battery, not your typical lead-acid battery... Anyhow, search the forum for battery stuff... Get a battery tender for AGM type battery. Many suggestions on the forum, number 1 being CTEK...

Oil issue on 3.0 2021's hasn't been fully confirmed with many hearsays and unscientific approach of reporting issues, different break-in procedures..
I'm not lurking in the 2.0 sub-forums as much and I don't know how many of those have been sold, but to my recollection, no reports of oil issues with 2.0's...

In the end, don't let him discourage you with battery and oil shenanigans.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Your dealer is kind of right. But not quite. You can sit in it just fine, but the car "powers up" anticipating a start. You do that a bunch of times without actually starting it, it will drain the battery. The car "powers down" one of two ways. By locking the doors, or holding the power button on the radio for a few seconds. It'll do it by itself after 6 minutes, but again, you do that a bunch of times without starting it, it will drain the battery. It needs to be driven for a decent amount of time or put on a tender about once a month. Certainly not 3 or 4 times a week.

OP
OP

feitu232

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Your dealer is kind of right. But not quite. You can sit in it just fine, but the car "powers up" anticipating a start. You do that a bunch of times without actually starting it, it will drain the battery. The car "powers down" one of two ways. By locking the doors, or holding the power button on the radio for a few seconds. It'll do it by itself after 6 minutes, but again, you do that a bunch of times without starting it, it will drain the battery. It needs to be driven for a decent amount of time or put on a tender about once a month. Certainly not 3 or 4 times a week.
That makes sense. But like say I have a couple of friends who just want to get in the car and such as sit around and they do that a few times. Once I start up the car again the battery will go back up in charge is that correct?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
That makes sense. But like say I have a couple of friends who just want to get in the car and such as sit around and they do that a few times. Once I start up the car again the battery will go back up in charge is that correct?
Wow, dealer really scared you. Yeah, you can enjoy the car without starting and it won't die all of a sudden after 5 mins, but if you keep doing it without either charging or driving then yes it will die. Just starting your car barely ever charges the battery, putting a load on, meaning driving it, will let alternator charge it, but don't expect miracles from this if your battery voltage is at laughable stage...
Simply invest in battery charger/tender.. Modern ones have a display showing the voltage it's at and percent full and even modern ones you can monitor from your phone.....

It's good practice for any car you own to take care of the battery especially during winter and other rule of thumbs like overfilling the fuel and/or adding additives, increasing inflation pressure or putting the vehicle on stands, etc. during the winter... or drive it every 2-3 weeks for few minutes to get the juices flowing, the cars, not yours :p

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yup, that's correct. Just like any other car.

OP
OP

feitu232

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Wow, dealer really scared you. Yeah, you can enjoy the car without starting and it won't die all of a sudden after 5 mins, but if you keep doing it without either charging or driving then yes it will die. Just starting your car barely ever charges the battery, putting a load on, meaning driving it, will let alternator charge it, but don't expect miracles from this if your battery voltage is at laughable stage...
Simply invest in battery charger/tender.. Modern ones have a display showing the voltage it's at and percent full and even modern ones you can monitor from your phone.....

It's good practice for any car you own to take care of the battery especially during winter and other rule of thumbs like overfilling the fuel and/or adding additives, increasing inflation pressure or putting the vehicle on stands, etc. during the winter... or drive it every 2-3 weeks for few minutes to get the juices flowing, the cars, not yours :p
Yah I was confused when they told me that haha! Ill go on ahead and get a charger for it once I get the car

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
Cars that are showroom queens can have issues with batteries draining as every asshole that walks by it opens the door, sits in it and presses buttons. With that said, the dealer should be smart and aware enough to know if someone is genuinely interested in purchasing. I'd rather have one that's sat outside since it arrived at the dealership.

US market 2.0s are clearly not purchased as often as the 3.0 versions and I'm currently not aware of anyone experiencing low oil levels....At least no one has posted that I've seen.

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2005 Audi A4b6 2.7
So personal experience from owning mine about 4 months and 14500 miles. I was able to sit in it and actually drive it. As a matter of fact the dealer I got mine from don't get them very often if that. So from my car it was low on oil by the time I hit the 10k service interval, it wasn't till about 5k miles that I noticed it wasn't on Full, granted I kinda run mine a bit to the canyons and a slight aggressiveness. With that being said it was my daily for the last 4 months till I fixed my Fiesta ST which I will be using as a daily and reduce the wear on the Supra.

Ben22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Toyota Sequoia, 2021 Supra 2.0
No Issues here, I am almost at 1K miles and the oil level is still full. I drive my car daily.

ymamoor20

First Name
ymakadrose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Type R
So personal experience from owning mine about 4 months and 14500 miles. I was able to sit in it and actually drive it. As a matter of fact the dealer I got mine from don't get them very often if that. So from my car it was low on oil by the time I hit the 10k service interval, it wasn't till about 5k miles that I noticed it wasn't on Full, granted I kinda run mine a bit to the canyons and a slight aggressiveness. With that being said it was my daily for the last 4 months till I fixed my Fiesta ST which I will be using as a daily and reduce the wear on the Supra.
Hey How much did you get your 2.0 for. You think I can get it for 38,000.

Ben22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Toyota Sequoia, 2021 Supra 2.0
Hey what was the price for your supra 2.0?
42,800 at garden grove Toyota. Includes the Toyota safety sense package( I think that’s what they call it, $3K ) and Carbon fiber mirror caps $950. Everyone else wanted $46-$48K.
Sponsored