R888R's - Need advice

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Z4 M40i, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Good reliable year round street tire for my scenario? About to Jb4, Map3, have full exhaust sitting in the garage. Looking to get Eibach Z4 Pro-kit to lower 20mm, drop some new tires. Probably R888R 265 front / 285 rear. Car is garaged and not my DD, just used for spirited weekend drives and probably some track use in the summer. Never sees rain or snow. Going to make the purchase as soon as I have a couple nods, no sense in having the tune and bolt ons installed if i can't drive it like i stole it on the way home.

Also, anyone running 265/285 with spacers? recommendations for those as well?
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
R888R is an excellent track (road) tire. I'd give 2 thumbs up for track day use on any dry day. however, not so much street friendly. it does whine when driving on highway. year round including wet road, I'd look go different route. if you are referring to drag strip as track, definitely not recommended and look for some other drag radial.

1slow_mk5

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra. S2000. 328i
R888r is an R comp not a street tire. Everytime you drive them they will go thru a heat cycle. R comps have a limited number of heat cycles.

OP
OP
delita1

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Z4 M40i, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited
R888R is an excellent track (road) tire. I'd give 2 thumbs up for track day use on any dry day. however, not so much street friendly. it does whine when driving on highway. year round including wet road, I'd look go different route. if you are referring to drag strip as track, definitely not recommended and look for some other drag radial.
Got it, I may get 2 sets for different applications. any recommendations for street tires then? Obviously have no issue with the stock PSS but concern is them being insufficient post bolt ons / tune.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
R888Rs are good for photo shoots and running on a track. Like stated before they are R-comp tires. They are not very durable and are very noisy even for a weekend car.

There's nothing wrong with PSS or it's successor, the PS4S. They have been standard on plenty of high performance vehicles. Any high performance street tire from a reputable company would be fine.

Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I tried driving on r888 tires and will never do it again. It was just plain scary in the rain. I would have to drop my speed down to 25-35mph in the rain espec standing water. Anything above, I was sliding all over the road.

He_drives

First Name
Fayadh aldoseri
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk iv supra, r35 Gtr , ap2 s2000, s14 Silvia , gd sti, grb sti, 997.2 gt3, w12 C-GT
Vehicle Showcase
The R888 whine is bad for the street. even with sound canceling headphones it's bad ive tried. If you can live with it go for it

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
R888Rs are good for photo shoots and running on a track. Like stated before they are R-comp tires. They are not very durable and are very noisy even for a weekend car.

There's nothing wrong with PSS or it's successor, the PS4S. They have been standard on plenty of high performance vehicles. Any high performance street tire from a reputable company would be fine.
Agree.

I feel like OP has to be honest with himself about how most miles will be driven. I think this car has enough torque stock to overwhelm most any tire if the driver doesn't have good throttle control. The stock Super Sport is actually a really, really good tire in terms of dry grip, wet traction, wear, and noise. If OP really needs a stickier tire, I might first look at maybe the Cup2 or RE71 or Supercar3. Gosh, even a SC3R or Trofeo R would be a better tire for a street car than the R888.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I've logged 10's of thousands of street miles (and dozens of 1/2 mile passes) on R888/R888R across several different cars. By far the best all-around performance tire for dry grip, handling, etc.. The only tangible downside is the noise; the wider the louder. I had 295/345's on my ZR1 and they were LOUD. I run 265/295 on my MKIV and they're not nearly as bad (and have gone 190MPH in the 1/2 mile, FWIW). I've never understood the rain hysteria -- totally overblown, IMO. I don't purposely drive the cars with them in the rain, but have been caught by surprise on several occasions and have never had any meaningful concern. I also think the heat cycle concern is pretty silly, too; however, they do tend to harden after a few years and loose grip if they're on garage queen that's rarely driven. Otherwise, they don't live very long, as expected for the compound, but that's the price for traction. In any event, proper alignment is absolutely key for the best results.
Sponsored