Rear brace squeaking

hyang93

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Anyone experiencing squeaking from the rear brace on the 2020 Toyota Supra? I tried to take off the hatch cargo cover, but it didn't really help. The squeaking gets worse on uneven roads, and it's driving me nuts. If anyone has a solution, I would greatly appreciate it!
Sponsored

CC²

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Premium
Are you talking about the silver brace that runs from side to side behind the seats? If you are sure that’s what’s causing the noise(you can grab it with one hand while driving and noise should change or go away completely), you can loosen the bolts and then re-torque it. There may be a specific order to torque it- maybe somebody has service manual with any specs...? If it’s still making noise, you can unbolt it and apply some thin felt strips on the contact points and re-torque it. Noise should go away with that. Haven’t personally had any noise from mine yet...

OP
OP

hyang93

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Hey thanks for responding. After further inspection of the brace, it seems like the noise is coming from the pillar that is attached to the seat belts. Is anyone else having this problem?

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I noticed a noise that pops up every once in awhile. I originally thought it was the cross brace that you were referring to but I uninstalled it and re-installed it and it was solid. The noise re-appeared and I finally realized that it's the cargo cover in the rear hatch. It's on the passenger side and is the second latch that is making the noise. I'm gonna try some tesa tape in there and see how that works out. It's worth looking into because it could be the same source of your noise.

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Anyone else having the issue? My car has 70 miles on it and when pulling into my driveway, the car sounds like a 90 year old women in a wheel chair. I can grab the silver brace and twist it and it replicates the sound, just not sure what to do about it, and also not entirely sure how useful the brace is as it is not super stiff. My other coupes I have owned never had a brace in that section (cayman, 911, M2.)

Brian Clarke

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, P100D X, ZL1 1LE, TRD Pro, STi's, 19 Raptor
My silver brace that also holds the rear cover makes noise, if I grab it, it goes away. I will look to retorque the nuts

KeshyMKV

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra - 3.0 Premium (On order)
Vehicle Showcase
My silver brace that also holds the rear cover makes noise, if I grab it, it goes away. I will look to retorque the nuts
Yea, my brace has squeaked since day 1 when I picked the car up last August. Not every second, but definitely when hitting a bump or something like that. The rear cover also tends to rattle even when locked into place correctly. When I have the windows down with my aftermarket exhaust and intake I don't hear as much of the rattles.

I need to make some time and pull some of this stuff apart and add some felt in places and make sure everything is torqued down properly like you mentioned.

Cheers,
-V

Jree

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Red 3.0P
My seatbelt pillar definitely makes little vibrations/rattles.
Going to take the trim apart tomorrow and check it out. I’ve put rubber tape on the inside of the trim already but I guess that’s not the solution since it’s still happening. Have to unscrew the seatbelt pivot itself.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
My seatbelt pillar definitely makes little vibrations/rattles.
Going to take the trim apart tomorrow and check it out. I’ve put rubber tape on the inside of the trim already but I guess that’s not the solution since it’s still happening. Have to unscrew the seatbelt pivot itself.
Hey, try and see if holding the bottom part of seatbelt resolves it. There is a sleeve down there and probably needs to be longer, thicker, more padding. My noise comes from there. Try it before you rip things apart. Hope you see this

Attachments

Jree

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Red 3.0P
Hey, try and see if holding the bottom part of seatbelt resolves it. There is a sleeve down there and probably needs to be longer, thicker, more padding. My noise comes from there. Try it before you rip things apart. Hope you see this
Hey thanks for the note.
I put my ears to the seatbelt pivot/column and it’s definitely coming from there.
I know what you’re talking about and it does make a noise when I slap it or lightly touch it. I’ll check tomorrow for sure on the drive over to Home Depot.
What material did you use to insulate it?

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I would recommend using Tesa Tape. It has a cloth feel and would provide a squeak free barrier. Plus you can just trim it and put it in any area that you want. It's high heat rated so you don't have to worry about it coming unglued in the summer time too. They use it wrap up wire harnesses in the cars. I've used it to help with squeaks in the past with good results.

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Hey thanks for the note.
I put my ears to the seatbelt pivot/column and it’s definitely coming from there.
I know what you’re talking about and it does make a noise when I slap it or lightly touch it. I’ll check tomorrow for sure on the drive over to Home Depot.
What material did you use to insulate it?
Hey there were you able to successfully troubleshoot and fix this? Where was that noise coming from and how did you fix it?

I don't know 100%, but it sure does feel like it's this plastic panel right here for me...
Sponsored

Attachments