Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
Is there a recall on this B58 motor from BMW, for PCV and valve cover?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
Someone on “all girls garage “

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
Excellent write up!! Should be a “Sticky” on this forum! I’ll never have this car long enough to get hose mileage figures!!! But I will get an extended warranty ?

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I’ll never have this car long enough to get hose mileage figures!!!
Then why get an extended warranty? An extended warranty is a losing proposition. The odds are significantly in the warranty company's favor. Think about it. The $$ people spend on extended warranties not only has to cover any claim payouts but also all of the company's operating costs while having enough left over to be profitable and provide a return to shareholders.

If you take reasonable care of your vehicles, you may never have a major failure that would be covered and exceed what you paid for the warranty to begin with. And if you don't take proper care of the vehicle, there's a good chance the claim gets denied because you can't demonstrate proper maintenance. I tried to recall all the vehicles I've purchased in my lifetime and I got to 15. I put more than 100,000 miles on all of them. The Supra is my first new car purchase that I will not put a lot of miles on as it's not a daily driver. Might be forgetting one or two but I think 15 is pretty accurate. I've not had a single significant failure. Replaced an alternator once, a couple water pumps (back in the 80s on my '85 Mustang GT), batteries/tires/brakes. That's about it-that I recall anyway. I'm sure there's some other minor things I'm forgetting but I've had no major failures. My AC did stop working at around 150,000 miles on an '89 Mustang GT but I just removed the system to shed some weight since the car was for AX and occasional track days by that point.

Moral of the story, if I would have purchased an extended warranty on these cars, I would have been out probably $20,000 or more with ZERO to show for it.

If you really are that worried about this, here's an idea. Take whatever money you would have spent for an extended warranty and put it in savings. Do this for every purchase where you think you need an extended warranty (electronics are another big waste in my opinion - I still have TVs and A/V equipment from my college days more than 30 years ago and none of them have failed either) and before long you'll have saved enough to take a really nice vacation. Or, should you be one of the very few and unlucky ones that has a major failure at some point, you've "self-insured" for it.

Just my opinion. YMMV...

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
Jeeze, you writing a book?! You Ever heard of the term “shit happens”?
I usually buy the extended warranty
Towards the end of the OEM warranty
If I still intend to keep vehicle. Plus, an extended warranty is “value added “ for a private sale of vehicle.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Jeeze, you writing a book?! You Ever heard of the term “shit happens”?
I usually buy the extended warranty
Towards the end of the OEM warranty
If I still intend to keep vehicle. Plus, an extended warranty is “value added “ for a private sale of vehicle.
LOL. Got on a roll this morning I guess. :) Just wanted to share a different perspective is all.
Sponsored