Repeated Strut Bearing Failure after lowering springs

Mk5phtm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra Phantom
How are they able to use the oem bearing if its an assembly? At any rate, for the price of those mounts might as well just spring for some bc racing coils I figure at least.
The bearings actually come off. It’s a 2 piece assembly and the bearing is removable from the strut mount
Sponsored

OP
OP
What2JZ

What2JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Toyota Supra
The bearings actually come off. It’s a 2 piece assembly and the bearing is removable from the strut mount
i must be dumb, because i can not see how the bearings come off without them being broken already. edit: looking at previous posts, i see that some of you did get the bearing separated from the mount, how please?

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
i must be dumb, because i can not see how the bearings come off without them being broken already. edit: looking at previous posts, i see that some of you did get the bearing separated from the mount, how please?
I just pulled it off, it seemed like it was pressed on.

The bearing container itself just snaps apart, there are clips on the top piece that keep it all together. I packed the top and bottom channels with Royal Purple grease and snapped it all back together. I was surprised about the lack of grease from the factory.

Mk5phtm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

The bearing container itself just snaps apart, there are clips on the top piece that keep it all together. I packed the top and bottom channels with Royal Purple grease and snapped it all back together. I was surprised about the lack of grease from the factory.
Exactly haha. Honestly seems so cheap. Wish it could’ve been better

OP
OP
What2JZ

What2JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Toyota Supra

It boggles my mind how such a critical suspension component is made so cheaply.

Fudgebucket

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21’ Tungsten Supra
I’ve had this issue since I installed mine (swift as well). Almost like a plastic on plastic noise coming from the passenger front strut on full lock to the right. Doesn’t happen when I go full lock to the left. The driving experience doesn’t feel any different. The bearing itself looks totally fine as well on inspection. I think what’s happening is at full lock the bearing itself separates ever so slightly (what’s causing the noise) and returns to normal when straightening the wheel out. It’s just an annoyance really. May go vorshlag plates or MSS springs in the future. I’ve also had a full alignment done.

OP
OP
What2JZ

What2JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Toyota Supra
Hey yall, Just wanted to follow up. I think I solved the issue and that was not getting the dust cover properly seated onto the top hat before applying and sort of compression to the spring. That seemed to solve the noise. However I am onto new issue issue (Perhaps I should start a new thread), when under hard Accel and Decel I a have a very bad bashing noise coming from the car, cant tell if its the front or rears. Any help here would be appreciated.

Mk5phtm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey yall, Just wanted to follow up. I think I solved the issue and that was not getting the dust cover properly seated onto the top hat before applying and sort of compression to the spring. That seemed to solve the noise. However I am onto new issue issue (Perhaps I should start a new thread), when under hard Accel and Decel I a have a very bad bashing noise coming from the car, cant tell if its the front or rears. Any help here would be appreciated.
That’s great to hear that you may have potentially solved that issue. I tried the same thing and it worked for me only for a few days unfortunately then continued with the same issue. Hopefully it works for you :) as for the bashing, I haven’t had that happen…

krumpir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
I had a plastic creaking noise ever since I installed my swift springs too, it happens only when turning wheel to the right at low speeds but nothing to the left, or when at driving speeds. I had the shop that installed them attempt to reinstall the springs in the front and they couldnt figure out what was wrong, I take it that its this problem?

Honestly just considering on getting Ohlins next month because screw dealing with this problem entirely and still having subpar performance.

Mk5phtm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had a plastic creaking noise ever since I installed my swift springs too, it happens only when turning wheel to the right at low speeds but nothing to the left, or when at driving speeds. I had the shop that installed them attempt to reinstall the springs in the front and they couldnt figure out what was wrong, I take it that its this problem?

Honestly just considering on getting Ohlins next month because screw dealing with this problem entirely and still having subpar performance.
Seems like this is an issue that occurs with only swift springs for some reason. I haven’t heard of this happening to others who use springs like h&r or eibach

krumpir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Seems like this is an issue that occurs with only swift springs for some reason. I haven’t heard of this happening to others who use springs like h&r or eibach
Yea me either I tried looking around everywhere and nothing with other springs. I guess just coilovers are gonna be whats needed

OP
OP
What2JZ

What2JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Toyota Supra
Yea me either I tried looking around everywhere and nothing with other springs. I guess just coilovers are gonna be whats needed
Please check that your dust cover completely over your bearings, not squished in anyway, if its not perfect that will cause uneven pressure on the bearing...

Pineconeliquor

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0
I believe I'm having the exact same problem with my Z4 Euro Eibach springs... Front left corner makes a squeak/creaking noise going over speed bumps.

When I put the springs on, the front right bearing stayed together. The front left strut bearing split apart. The car had about ~350 miles at install. I was able to put it all back together and not have any noise until it rained for the first time a month later. ~1200 miles on the odo now and it seems like the noise is getting a little worse.

I'm thinking the moisture and humidity we are experiencing for the first time this summer is worsening the sound.

Where is everybody sourcing the new strut bearings? Does this look like the right part number?

https://onlineparts.freemantoyota.c...yota.com&machineIDT1=xwlqwewidr5hqshv3dud0jgz

Suspension Strut Mount (Left, Right, Front)

Part Number: 48609WAA01
Supersession(s): 48609-WAA01
FRONT SUSPENSION, LEFT; FRONT SUSPENSION, RIGHT.

Fits Supra

Suspension Shock or Strut Mount - Repair or Replace

Strut mounts or strut bearings are often service with the strut assembly, and when they fail they can make a squeaking noise while turning or a metallic clunk noise when going over bumps. If your 2022 Toyota Supra is noisier than usual on bumpy roads or under braking, you may need new strut mounts.

Mk5phtm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I believe I'm having the exact same problem with my Z4 Euro Eibach springs... Front left corner makes a squeak/creaking noise going over speed bumps.

When I put the springs on, the front right bearing stayed together. The front left strut bearing split apart. The car had about ~350 miles at install. I was able to put it all back together and not have any noise until it rained for the first time a month later. ~1200 miles on the odo now and it seems like the noise is getting a little worse.

I'm thinking the moisture and humidity we are experiencing for the first time this summer is worsening the sound.

Where is everybody sourcing the new strut bearings? Does this look like the right part number?

https://onlineparts.freemantoyota.c...yota.com&machineIDT1=xwlqwewidr5hqshv3dud0jgz
Yes correct

OP
OP
What2JZ

What2JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Toyota Supra
I just want to follow up for the people in the future. My advice is to lean away from Swift Spec-R springs for the supra. The design of the spring is inherently flawed where the top of the front springs meet the strut bearing/dust cover. The angle of the top of the spring exerts a not completely flat pressure on the strut bearing, this has caused the the bearing to fail over a very shot period of time. Some people have had a positive experience with these springs, but can once again only be attributed to switching to camber plates or something I can not explain. Unfortunately I had to switch to RSR super down springs to resolve this issue as their spring sits completely flat with the strut bearing as it should!
Sponsored