Replacing Factory Charge Pipe as Preventative Maintenance?

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
Hi Everyone,

I have heard that the factory charge pipe is plastic and can crack and cause engine problems over time.

Is this true?

If yes, any suggestions about the number of miles when it’s probably time for replacement?

Is it a fairly easy DIY?

The car is bone stock with 16k miles and a daily driver only. Thanks!
Sponsored

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
The older BMW charge pipes on gen 1 b58 or n54/55 are known to fail. The stock one on gen 2 B58's are more reliable to my knowledge and only really fail when the car is modified to make a lot of boost aka a highly modified car beyond basic bolt ons. Any stock turbo setup really doesn't need an upgraded charge pipe at all and some are known to have boost leaks at the coupler also. On a stock or "FBO" stock turbo car there's no need for it really unless you like the look or want to run meth

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
OP has a B48, not B58. That said the previous answers are correct about it not being the same issue as in the past. I don’t know how install would be for the 4 cylinder but regardless it’s probably a case of same difference. Nothing major to be concerned of, just maybe tedious/annoying if anything. Very much doable for anyone.

kashuab

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra Renaissance Red 2.0
What about with something like JB4? With added boost would an aftermarket pipe be ideal?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
What about with something like JB4? With added boost would an aftermarket pipe be ideal?
Not needed unless you plan to cpi

I don’t believe stock turbo can do much to oem charge pipe
Sponsored