Cheap ass exhaust mod

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
Hi. I am thinking of manually disconnecting whatever controls the sport exhaust so the valve is open all the time. Before I do this, some questions for anyone who has lived with this “mod” for any length of time:

1. Is it worth it?

2. Are you seeing ANY unintended problems (e.g., a CEL) with a wire being disconnected?

3. What did you do , if anything, with the wire and connector to protect them from the elements?

4. Is it obvious what to disconnect or any words of advice?

Fyi: I know i can just buy bimmercode and code this setting, but I am curios to try this cheap ass approach first.

Thanks!
Sponsored

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Personally I’d just hit the sport button for free when I started it. BimmerCode is easy and cheap option as well, plus it’s not a permanent open valve as it remains an option to close on the fly. Don’t cheap out is my words of advice.

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
Personally I’d just hit the sport button for free when I started it. BimmerCode is easy and cheap option as well, plus it’s not a permanent open valve as it remains an option to close on the fly. Don’t cheap out is my words of advice.
The computer still closes the value sometimes even in sport mode. Fire it up in sport and let it sit for a couple of mins, you will hear it shut and the car go quite even while still in sport.

also of note the factory exhaust must not be balanced pressure wise as 95% of the gases come out the drivers side even with the value open at idle

Jnhalstead

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
First time I parked the car at my house straight from dealer, I made sure it was still in sport, got out, unplugged the valve and never looked back. 2 years and 43k… you will be fine

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Crazy question 🙋‍♂️ I have the AWE track exhaust. Do I need to pull any fuse? I don’t want any extra amplified sound coming from the speakers or anything like that. It’s loud enough 😂 Thanks y’all

mr_sparkle6666

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Crazy question 🙋‍♂️ I have the AWE track exhaust. Do I need to pull any fuse? I don’t want any extra amplified sound coming from the speakers or anything like that. It’s loud enough 😂 Thanks y’all
Two different things. There is a flap that closes off the pass side exhaust pipe on start up and in comfort mode. You can pull the fuse when the car is warmed up and in sport mode and the flap will stay open. The active sound design is the speakers putting out fake exhaust noise which can be disabled via BimmerCode (there is also a way to disconnect it in the trunk area but I just used BimmerCode)

I think some aftermarket exhausts do incorporate the exhaust flap, but I have no idea about yours. I have the fuse pulled on mine but I’m running stock exhaust. If your aftermarket exhaust is loud and it is using the flap you may want to leave it as is

Jammon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, BRZ, MGB, Triumph TR3, AH 100-4,
The computer still closes the value sometimes even in sport mode. Fire it up in sport and let it sit for a couple of mins, you will hear it shut and the car go quite even while still in sport.

also of note the factory exhaust must not be balanced pressure wise as 95% of the gases come out the drivers side even with the value open at idle
You have it backwards, on a cold start the valve is closed, once the car warms the valve will open with balanced flow out of each side.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
You're talking about ASD. Disable it with Bimmercode or read up on disabling it by other means for sound coming from speakers...