Replacing Horn with PIAA sports Horn

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
The problem is that moisture works its way up and inside the shielding. People use taps and call it a day. When ever exposing a wire, use liquid electrical tape to seal the insulation and wires.
Or linemen twist and use a heatshrink tube with adhesive. Wirefy is my go to. Offers a marine grade covering.
Sponsored

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
UPDATE: My wiring corroded?!

My (upgraded) horn stopped working last December, but I havenā€™t gotten around to troubleshooting it until today. My wiring basically disintegrated.

Iā€™m hoping someone with more electrical knowledge than me can tell me what happened and how to avoid it going forward. My theory is that the wire corroded in the one spot I didnā€™t cover with electrical tape šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Iā€™m pretty sure my wiring mirrors that of OPā€™s (refer to my quoted images).

Later, Iā€™m going to check if my OEM horn still works or whether this incident caused other issues. (Update: OEM horn works fine!)
I'm facing same problem.. need to open up and see what's going on. lesson learned and try to implement other's advises. ;)

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
CCA is aluminum wire with a copper coating. Just an fyi.
I'm an idiot. I completely overlooked this when ordering the wire. I'll have to be much more mindful when purchasing wire for outdoor uses, I suppose.

The problem is that moisture works its way up and inside the shielding. People use taps and call it a day. When ever exposing a wire, use liquid electrical tape to seal the insulation and wires.
I had used taps on a vehicle before but looking back, it was internal. It worked well which is why I didn't think twice about doing it again. I failed to consider the additional risks of essentially being exposed to the elements.

Or linemen twist and use a heatshrink tube with adhesive. Wirefy is my go to. Offers a marine grade covering.
Wirefy looks awesome. 3:1 shrink ratio. I will have to pick these up for the future.

Update: I rewired everything with taps still, but I also used heatshrink tubing everywhere possible. Only the tap to the original horn wire is electrical tape only, but that's the one spot that did not show any corrosion after the first part of this endeavor.

Note to future horn upgraders:
  • Try to use pure copper, not copper coated aluminum, wire.
  • Attempt to seal off all wire in the most waterproof manner possible. Heatshrink tubing and liquid electrical tape have been recommended. Pretend like you'd be submerging your work in water.
Sponsored