Not open for further replies.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
If a driving impression is strong, it's going to be memorable. Still, BMW gave MT the US-spec and I'm sure Toyota is aware. For Toyota to not give a US-spec is unusual unless a US version was not available there.

I believe it was A70 or riley, but one of them mentioned a CE about the Supra is being tracked very hard over in Shibetsu now, in TMC Japan
. Article below about testing LS400 and LFA and also, a snippet about the creation of the track.

"The Shibetsu Proving Ground — or SPG — opened in 1984 after six years of planning and building. Rumor has it that the scale of the construction was so large, the Soviets mistook it for a fort being created by the Japanese.

Hidden behind heavy security and tall metal fences are five circuits, each varying in size and function. The longest of these is 6.2 miles. The tracks are surrounded with tiny villages of buildings and facilities, used to assess and maintain all kinds of vehicles, ranging from production cars to highly confidential prototype models."

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/07/24/inside-the-top-secret-lexus-shibetsu-test-track/
I agree 100% it would be if it were memorable. But fast is relative and driving dozens of cars in between isnt great for comparison.
Sponsored

BlackJet

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
e90M3
If a driving impression is strong, it's going to be memorable. Still, BMW gave MT the US-spec and I'm sure Toyota is aware. For Toyota to not give a US-spec is unusual unless a US version was not available there.
Yup, the Z4 MT was driving was the more powerful US spec without the Euro particulate filters. EU B58 are down 50hp.

MotorTrend:
"Similar to the 3.0-liter twin-scroll single-turbo B58 I-6 in the M240i (335 hp/369 lb-ft), the B58 in our Z4 M40i is torque-rich and more than powerful enough to propel the Z4. However, we were shocked to learn that this version of the B58 in the new Z4 makes nearly 50 horsepower more, at 382 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque in U.S. spec."

HP difference is strictly from driving two different region engine specs. Euro-spec Supra vs US-spec Z4 M40i.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota has to do better than this....they MUST do better than this.

I am betting the folks who have money to buy a $55-$65k car, will not be buying this as is (information reported by the journalists who drove them). The folks who are in love with this car as is, don't have the money to buy it...and will probably get it second hand when it has depreciated more than a third of it's retail cost.

We are talking high-end sports car money for performance (again, as reported by the journalists) that is on par with entry level sports cars.

You MUST do better than this Toyota!

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
That review was a bit disappointing - but I was surprised they couldn't tell the difference between the Supra and Z4 wheel and buttons :|

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Wheel buttons are the last of anyone's worries at this point.
obviously it isn't a priority but how can we trust these people on how the vehicle drives when they are that oblivious to those sort of details...us measly forum members noticed the clear steering wheel differences by just going through photos and this dude apparently sat in both and thought they were the same..yea his idea of vehicle dynamics must really be sharp...like a lot MT reviews/articles, there is so much fluff and marketing even though it should be about the car's performance..the car may be good or bad but that was yet just another shit review..

Last edited:

rtoadyt

First Name
Reto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Fake exhaust sounds. Why. I'm sorry to be budging in and talk abt something unrelated here, but. Ew. Am I the only one pissed off by this, and has anyone throw a feedback to Toyota?

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
obviously it isn't a priority but how can we trust these people on how the vehicle drives when they are that oblivious to those sort of details...us measly forum members noticed the clear steering wheel differences by just going through photos and this dude apparently sat in both and thought they were the same..yea his idea of vehicle dynamics must really be sharp...like a lot MT reviews/articles, there is so much fluff and marketing even though it is should be about the car's performance..the car may be good or bad but that was yet just another shit review..
Put it this way.

I rather think worst case scenario and try to better improve, Then think best case scenario and be disappointed. (As a consumer)

And quite frankly all the clue's from multiple sources and imagery lead towards more disappointment then satisfaction for me personally anyway.

Last edited:

AZSupra

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
Toyota has to do better than this....they MUST do better than this.

I am betting the folks who have money to buy a $55-$65k car, will not be buying this as is (information reported by the journalists who drove them). The folks who are in love with this car as is, don't have the money to buy it...and will probably get it second hand when it has depreciated more than a third of it's retail cost.

We are talking high-end sports car money for performance (again, as reported by the journalists) that is on par with entry level sports cars.

You MUST do better than this Toyota!

Have to agree. The M2 comp is looking much better.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I wonder if all these pre-production reviews, based on ambiguous information (re: A70 question thread) are actually going to do more damage than good

Especially given the penchant for 99% of internet users to not read anything in-depth, completely, or properly.
Considering how the Japanese are never 100% satisfied with their work, this can be taken as "room for improvment"

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Given that we have had some insider information and reading the reviews with keeping that in mind... it seems that

A) car doesn’t handle as well as it was alluded to be..
B) it’s more a GT car than a hardcore track car
C) ok in terms of power.. meaning just enough. Nothing spectacular.. nothing slow.

In other words a MEH car.. hope I’m wrong.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.