Same color?

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
Got this nice little surprise leaving the gym today. What’s interesting to me is that there seems to be a slight variance in color between them. Am I losing it, or do they seem 2 different shades of yellow, with the one on the right being slightly lighter in hue? I’m assuming it’s because their’s (on the right) may be ceramic coated? Otherwise I don’t think any Supras have been out long enough to have faded paint yet. Any thoughts?

IMG_9060.jpeg
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Did you see this difference in person as well?

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
What year is yours? I’ve often thought the earlier year yellow ones were a tad darker and more orange tinted than my 22.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
They do look different, but the good thing is both still look good.

OP
OP
Marsone

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
What year is yours? I’ve often thought the earlier year yellow ones were a tad darker and more orange tinted than my 22.
Mine is the 23 on the left of the photo. Same lighting conditions from more than 1 angle as well. It’s obviously still the same color but there’s enough of a difference to make me wonder.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I find the colour changes drastically depending on lighting and angle. In fact, without post processing, the yellow sometimes looks wrong and nothing like it is in person - particularly with my regular iPhone camera settings.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Very interesting!

Honestly I think most of the arguments in favor of the difference being much to do with camera/angles/lighting etc are invalid in this case, since the man is clearly posting multiple photos the cars are right next to each other, and the difference is still there.

This is definitely a thing.

What I disagree with is on the fading: it is highly possible for a car just 2-3 years old sitting in the sun a lot to fade significantly, both interior and exterior, especially hot countries.

Another factor and probably the most likely, would be PPF.

I don't buy the bs of ceramic coating adding gloss/color depth (it DOES make washing the car easier, that, is a fact), but conversely, ppf is a literally physical added layer on top of the clearcoat, which will change light refraction and color through the lense.

I have PPF fitted only on my front bumper and headlights, since I'm too broke to PPF the whole car (😭) and I can notice a difference in color between the bonnet and the bumper.

Any details of ages of the 2 cars and PPF status to add any validity to my comments?

All out of pure curiosity and interest no beef with anyone here to be clear ❤

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Very interesting!

Honestly I think most of the arguments in favor of the difference being much to do with camera/angles/lighting etc are invalid in this case, since the man is clearly posting multiple photos the cars are right next to each other, and the difference is still there.

This is definitely a thing.
Yeah.. you could be right.

There's just too many variables though. It could be a single car paint anomaly; a coating/PPF; a minor model year paint colour change; lighting and/or angles.. or as suspected, some kind of fading over time.

Or a combination thereof. 😅

OP
OP
Marsone

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
Very interesting!

..it is highly possible for a car just 2-3 years old sitting in the sun a lot to fade significantly, both interior and exterior, especially hot countries.

Another factor and probably the most likely, would be PPF.

Any details of ages of the 2 cars and PPF status to add any validity to my comments?
You make some good points, I somehow thought of ceramic coating but not ppf. 🤦‍♂️ That could be it, but wouldn't ppf make it darker instead of lighter since the clear coat would be covered by a film?

My car is on the left there and has nothing done to it. No PPF and no ceramic coating. Just window tints, but it does sleep in a garage and is not often sitting in direct sunlight for hours at a time. His (or her) car seemed to be well taken care of. I looked at the car for a good 5 minutes straight as I waited to see if they would come out after me. Of course, that doesn't prove that it is garage kept, nor does it prove the age.

Interesting nonetheless!

RaceReX

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium, 2009 SRF
Is yours wrapped? Is the other cars?

could be a tint difference due to one car having a wrap. Or if both cars are wrapped, differing companies wraps.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
As someone who once worked in autobody, I can tell you that paint codes vary enough to make a noticeable difference easily seen by eye.

So when we have to match existing paint, we use several spray cards to find the best possible match before painting and blending. Each spray card is a slight variation of the original base color code.

Believe it or not, we even have to do this on white vehicles.
Sponsored