Seat Back “issue”

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
I’m a pretty tall guy and while I fit in the car, I’d fit better if the seat could go back further—but the silver “bar” keeps that from happening—-any way to remove that? Does it do anything??
Sponsored

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I’m a pretty tall guy and while I fit in the car, I’d fit better if the seat could go back further—but the silver “bar” keeps that from happening—-any way to remove that? Does it do anything??
Yeah other people have removed it, it’s basically an internal strut bar for rigidity which is nice but not absolutely necessary as the car is pretty stiff as is. I don’t know how to remove it but maybe someone who has can chime in here

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Remove the plastic panel between the bar and the headliner that curves around towards the back window. Then remove the panel that the seat belt goes through. Be careful as there is a fastener on the side after the slit for the seat belt and I know that could be the easy to break point. Then there are the plastic trim pieces around the metal bar itself, pull those towards the middle of the car. These are 360 degree pieces so they can only come off after bar is removed. This will expose a T50 torx bolt on each side. Unscrew that and the bar can be removed. Place panel pieces back and you have it removed. Both panels are only plastic clips and will pull out. There are no screws holding these panels in.

OP
OP

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
I will add this to my list!! Thanks!!!!!

OP
OP

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
Will this
Remove the plastic panel between the bar and the headliner that curves around towards the back window. Then remove the panel that the seat belt goes through. Be careful as there is a fastener on the side after the slit for the seat belt and I know that could be the easy to break point. Then there are the plastic trim pieces around the metal bar itself, pull those towards the middle of the car. These are 360 degree pieces so they can only come off after bar is removed. This will expose a T50 torx bolt on each side. Unscrew that and the bar can be removed. Place panel pieces back and you have it removed. Both panels are only plastic clips and will pull out. There are no screws holding these panels in.
will this give me more room for the seat to travel back? I’d think there is no way it wouldn’t—-but I’m no automotive engineer!

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
you can also go aftermarket and get the seat lower. For me i wish the front of the seat went down. In the manual it said it does but it turns out that was the i4 version of seats (non electronic)

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
If you end up removing the bar can you make a video/take pics as well please. I'm 6'4" and if it end up helping you i would take the same route.

Thank you!!!
I'm 6'4" and fit fine with the bar in place. The seat wasn't even all the way back for me.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Yeah other people have removed it, it’s basically an internal strut bar for rigidity which is nice but not absolutely necessary as the car is pretty stiff as is. I don’t know how to remove it but maybe someone who has can chime in here

almost certain that bar directly behind the seat is cosmetic, not actually structural. more of a divider.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
the bar is actually only there to stop the seat from going further back

OP
OP

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
If you end up removing the bar can you make a video/take pics as well please. I'm 6'4" and if it end up helping you i would take the same route.

Thank you!!!
Yeah, it’ll be a while before I dive into that—but when I do, I’ll video and post—-however, I’ve become an expert at programming the homelink!! I can help with that right now!! Lol!!!

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Removing the rear bar is relatively easy (3 Steps). You will need to remove piece #1 and #2 to gain access to the T-Bolt.

Piece -1-
This is held in by a few white plastic clips and will simply pry out. Be sure to pull horizontally towards the middle of the car and they will pop out.

Piece -2-
Now just like piece -1-, pull horizontally towards the middle of the car. Be sure to be delicate around the seatbelt area. The trim is split to allow the seatbelt to feed through and there is a clip located right behind the split.

Transverse Bar Removal
Using a Torx T-50 bit you will need to unbolt the transverse bar

49705870113_2e97212c75_h-jpg.jpg

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Another option would be to get a smaller diameter bar (such as Cusco Power Bar). That might allow the rear of the seat to recline more. Odds are you would probably hit the back wall instead of the bar. But I have not seen one in person so I can't confirm 100%. Just throwing out other options that might also work.

cus1c2-492-tp-2.jpg

OP
OP

J’s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium
The bar does not do anything to increase the “seat back” distance, the “speaker box” dictates how far the seat goes back—
Sponsored