Selling the Supra - Advice pls

acadapter

First Name
A.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla Model X
Wait, you mentioned at the top that you are back into a Supra, but at the end, it looks like you are dead-set on an EV? Which is it?
It was from the OP’s point of view. It will be quite some time before I consider an EV again.
Ironically, I'm of a similar but opposite stance - I am in favor of 100% EV; right now. I bought my Launch Edition as soon my reservation came off the boat years back. I also said, there would be no more ICE purchases; I've swapped every family member over to EVs comepletely and I have a couple including a Model X (which I got a few years prior to the Supra). My affinity to the Supra is what it is and without that I would certainly be 100% EV. If I was interested in a "driver's" EV, it wouldn't be a Tesla; but there are a few out that that can foot that bill, easy. As far as the EV experience though, the UI/tech and overall ease-of-use, the OP will be happy there.

As far as the OP, opportunity to reserve a 45th Manual came along a couple of months ago. So, just like the OP, I prepped the LE for sale. In my experience, I went the latter route - I got CarMax's offer which the new dealer agreed to match, allowing me to sell and recoupe a bit of tax savings. BUT, since I had some time, I created an Autotrader add for the LE to see what differences I could find.

I ended up selling the LE to a local dealership for about $5k more than what the dealership was willing to match CarMax with and about $1600 more than what I would have recouped in total including the taxes. I would definitely stick to those routes; wasn't interested in letting an "unknown" drive my 15k/mi, pristine car when it was important to sell in that state.
Sponsored

oreobbq

First Name
oreo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91 Refraction Blue
As someone who has owned both of the best Tesla has to offer in the past year (Plaid and M3P), and is now back in a Supra yet again, I'll tell you that you're going to regret it.

Speed isn't the problem, even the normal Teslas accelerate great, and are especially surprising when you're already moving. The problem is the fundamentally flawed suspension, and the cabin. I'll be brief, but want to make sure you have all of the data you need, because you WILL modify the Tesla, it just won't be for power.

Cabin - Actually like how spartan it is, and tons of storage, but there is an absolutely insane reverb from the glass roof. I've tried multiple ways of fixing it, and I've managed to improve it, but not eliminate it. On a completely stock car, my wife absolutely refused to have a conversation in the car, as her hearing is extremely sensitive, and every noise was just like daggers to her ears. Definitely a compounding issue, and one that's mentioned quite frequently if you go searching for it.

Suspension - The geometry is pretty good, but the stock bushings are EXTRA sloppy. They're softer than what they put in most low-end Kias these days, and I'm not exaggerating. You're going to need to spend a bit of money to lock that car down, so that it doesn't feel like a constant wiggle-fest. Bad roads, hard braking, etc. Also a well-documented problem, even on the performance models. It is worse than you think, and the car is not even remotely confidence-inspiring on a good, curvy road. Of course, the suspension on the Tesla becomes a rabbit hole once you start looking at the first problem.

Range is very good, and going on some long trips eliminated range anxiety for me, but I will say that a wider or stickier tire will diminish your range MUCH more than you think. There isn't enough sidewall on the stock setup to drive around here, so smaller wheels and more tire is a requirement, which of course makes you also want to go a bit wider, since the car is so heavy. Going from the stock 235 Pirelli time bombs on the M3P to a 265 PS4S equates to a 15-20% drop in range.

I could get into how they're constantly screwing things up from a software perspective, etc., but they usually fix that, and sometimes they even do so fairly quickly. Elon's idiotic battles with random companies will change what apps are available on your car by the day - like his little feud with Disney eliminating the Disney+ app - but it's fairly rare, but definitely annoying to feel like you're being dragged into someone else's personal BS just because they're the CEO of the company whose car you happen to own.

If I were you, and I was dead-set on going electric, I would take a serious look at the competition. Obviously the Teslas are better than most of what is on the market right now, as far as being an EV goes, but I'd be looking at a Mustang Mach E or something instead. The one thing Tesla DOES really nail is eliminating the dealership experience - the buying process is definitely one of the easiest in the industry.

Anyway, if I wasn't dead-set on an EV, I'd probably be looking at an M340i or something like that... Hell, I'd even consider going with the new Elantra N and saving a ton of money in the process, my daughter has a Kona N and it's a blast.

Just my 2 cents - Regardless of what you do, hopefully you love it!
Interesting. I've owned a couple of M3P and they were great. Zero issues with reverb and I've never seen anyone mention that in the forums. And the new ones have double paned glass on all windows. Maybe your wife just didn't want to talk to you. 😂

The only apps I really used were Youtube and the dashcam. I don't recall the other apps disappearing by the day based off of Elon's battles. The software updates often added helpful features.

The handling is better than most sedans although it's lacking when compared to a 2 seater sports car. Traction is rarely an issue and you can rip the M3P through corners in the rain with the AWD and immediate torque that's available anytime.

Tesla is still the EV king and their charging network is far superior to the rest. However, on a road trip, a Tesla will take much longer to "refuel" when compared to ICE. Many EV owners will spin a whole lot of BS about how it doesn't take much longer. Real world range is a lot less in cold and hot weather.

Also the sound system is 10000x better than the supra. And Teslas are a dime a dozen in California.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
People tend to 'get used to" new technology, while forgetting that the older tech was better.
Imagine a new keyboard that is 100% membrane, one that has no tactical feel via mechanical keys (like what we all have with our phones). We could get used to it and follow the crowd that convinces themselves that it is better than what they had, but that doesn't change reality. Knobs and tactical feel buttons are safer in a vehicle that can travel at 70+ MPH. Diverting your attention for 2 seconds can result in your drifting 7 feet into another vehicle or a cyclist on an off-highway street.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium (Nocturnal, Automatic)
Interesting. I've owned a couple of M3P and they were great. Zero issues with reverb and I've never seen anyone mention that in the forums. And the new ones have double paned glass on all windows. Maybe your wife just didn't want to talk to you. 😂

The only apps I really used were Youtube and the dashcam. I don't recall the other apps disappearing by the day based off of Elon's battles. The software updates often added helpful features.

The handling is better than most sedans although it's lacking when compared to a 2 seater sports car. Traction is rarely an issue and you can rip the M3P through corners in the rain with the AWD and immediate torque that's available anytime.

Tesla is still the EV king and their charging network is far superior to the rest. However, on a road trip, a Tesla will take much longer to "refuel" when compared to ICE. Many EV owners will spin a whole lot of BS about how it doesn't take much longer. Real world range is a lot less in cold and hot weather.

Also the sound system is 10000x better than the supra. And Teslas are a dime a dozen in California.
I physically cringe at EV Youtubers absolutely sugarcoating the performance of the Model 3 as if it were a 2 seater sports car 😭 and sometimes the coping is too noticeable when they're saying traveling is almost as fast as ICE vehicles.

OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update: got an appraisal for 50k, bargained for 52k at other places but no one would budge. So I'm selling today for 51k in between 🤧😪

Also much better imo than carvana, and carmax offering 46k! The used car market has truly died down. None of them are over paying like they're were a few years ago

OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am now carless until the Tesla arrives LMAO

oreobbq

First Name
oreo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91 Refraction Blue
I physically cringe at EV Youtubers absolutely sugarcoating the performance of the Model 3 as if it were a 2 seater sports car 😭 and sometimes the coping is too noticeable when they're saying traveling is almost as fast as ICE vehicles.
Yeah on a road trip you have to always consider where super chargers are located. The performance is very impressive which is why I would consider another Tesla. When charging, the wait times can vary from 15 minutes to 45 depending on how much charge you need. That is not faster than the 5 minutes it would take to use the restroom and fill up a full tank. The autopilot is very good so driving a Tesla is less fatiguing.

If you are able to plug in at home, you probably won't have to worry about filling up on your daily commute. So the trade off is worth it in my opinion. It seems like you got pretty good value for your supra.

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I will say the build quality has come a LONG way. Don’t be too worried about that aspect, the vast majority come out just fine, unless it’s the end of quarter crunch.

Do keep in mind that all major manufacturers are going to be using the Tesla charging network soon. Ford and Rivian I believe already have free adapters, and the rest are coming along soon as well.
Just don’t try to charge it in the freezing cold! LOL

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I wonder what I could get for mine with 6500 on it and in excellent condition. Tires still look new.

OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wonder what I could get for mine with 6500 on it and in excellent condition. Tires still look new.
North of 55k probably

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Thinking of buying a Tesla? LOL
No, no thanks. I don't like the pollution but at this point, batteries are too heavy. Not bad but also the charging and the footprint from mining etc.

I saw the Truck the other day. It isn't any better looking in person. More like a kit car, and not a very good one.

OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No, no thanks. I don't like the pollution but at this point, batteries are too heavy. Not bad but also the charging and the footprint from mining etc.

I saw the Truck the other day. It isn't any better looking in person. More like a kit car, and not a very good one.
Yall should wait for the roadster
Sponsored