OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Nothing in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada? I've bought in WA and got it under invoice. You have to pay taxes and registration at the local DMV.

The thing with shipping companies is that they all use a central dispatch system. Be prepared to get bombarded with random calls. So when you're calling around different websites, you're dealing with a middleman. They put out the destination and start a bid. Personally, I'd call Jim at Intercity directly.

Jim
Intercity Lines
1-800-221-3936 x205
[email protected]
www.intercitylines.com

https://reliablecarriers.com/

http://plycargroup.com/

https://www.gtms-quotes.com/
Thanks a lot for the information. Nope, nothing on the west coast. And amazing deals and rebates and a lot of inventory on the east coast. Even with shipping, I will be saving a lot of money.
Sponsored

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Thanks a lot for the information. Nope, nothing on the west coast. And amazing deals and rebates and a lot of inventory on the east coast. Even with shipping, I will be saving a lot of money.
My last quote from Mass to San Diego, enclosed was about $1800 earlier this year before Covid. I'm not sure how much has changed now but be sure to hurry up and finalize a deal before the east coast winter season hits.

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
My last quote from Mass to San Diego, enclosed was about $1800 earlier this year before Covid. I'm not sure how much has changed now but be sure to hurry up and finalize a deal before the east coast winter season hits.
yes trying to. Its just that registration in California is a bit complicated and I am trying to learn more about the process.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yes trying to. Its just that registration in California is a bit complicated and I am trying to learn more about the process.
It's actually not that difficult. Since the car has less then 7500 miles, the inspection will be done at the DMV. As I mentioned before, you'll pay the tax and registration at the DMV. The dealership shouldn't charge you and they'll attach a release of liability form when it leaves the lot. That has to be filled out or it'll be a pain in the ass at the DMV.

After you set up an appointment, they'll verify the VIN, engine number (if they can find it) and verify if it's 50 state/CA compliant. Have the dealer send you a pic of the emissions sticker in the engine bay. I'm pretty sure it's 50 state legal. Most cars have been that way since 2012.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg343.pdf

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
It's actually not that difficult. Since the car has less then 7500 miles, the inspection will be done at the DMV. After you set up an appointment, all they'll is verify the VIN, engine number (if they can find it) and verify if it's 50 state/CA compliant. Have the dealer send you a pic of the emissions sticker in the engine bay. I'm pretty sure it's 50 state legal. Most cars have been that way since 2012.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg343.pdf
That's right. I was just on that pdf which you sent. haha. So there is also a smog check involved which needs to be done in California once the vehicle arrives here. And vin inspection is something which is not being done at the DMV I think. Have to look upon that. But yeah these are the two things I found that need to be done.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's right. I was just on that pdf which you sent. haha. So there is also a smog check involved which needs to be done in California once the vehicle arrives here. And vin inspection is something which is not being done at the DMV I think. Have to look upon that. But yeah these are the two things I found that need to be done.
They'll verify the VIN. Basically the VIN that you enter on the form matches the VIN on the vehicle and their database. I believe you'll forfeit the 5 yr smog exemption with new cars and will resume the biennial.

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
They'll verify the VIN. Basically the VIN that you enter on the form matches the VIN on the vehicle and their database. I believe you'll forfeit the 5 yr smog exemption with new cars and will resume the biennial.
Yes because I am bringing a vehicle from out of state and require initial registration in california, it requires a smog check. That's what I learnt in the last one hour.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Yes because I am bringing a vehicle from out of state and require initial registration in california, it requires a smog check. That's what I learnt in the last one hour.
Just curious if the out of state dealer also included your own state's sales tax? Looking at one of the quotes I got back and it was not included. Never bought out of state before and wanted to know if that was typical to pay your own taxes.

Attachments

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Just curious if the out of state dealer also included your own state's sales tax? Looking at one of the quotes I got back and it was not included. Never bought out of state before and wanted to know if that was typical to pay your own taxes.
no, they usually add tax based on the zip code on your license. And if you are shipping it to California then you have to do two more things (SMog test and VIN inspection) once the car arrives and send the certificate back to the dealer and they will complete the process. But I pay everything only to the dealer and they take care of it.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
no, they usually add tax based on the zip code on your license. And if you are shipping it to California then you have to do two more things (SMog test and VIN inspection) once the car arrives and send the certificate back to the dealer and they will complete the process. But I pay everything only to the dealer and they take care of it.
Appreciate it! Still kicking around the thought of road tripping 800+ miles. Might be worth it for me. :thumbsup:

MitchellGibson

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bmw M3
I realize this topic is old, but I just wanted to say that I have not explicitly worked with this dealership, but I have had experiences with auto shipping. I recommend double-checking the dealership's reputation and ensuring it has good reviews from previous customers. Have you considered looking into local trailer or vehicle rental services? That might be a good option if you don't have anyone to help. You can also try posting on public bulletin boards or social media groups to see if anyone is willing to help with long distance car towing. I wish you the best of luck finding a solution to your transportation problems.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
If anyone is interested, I have a company I’ve used 2x that is independent and cost about a buck a mile. PM me. Cost vary ofc if you want it now or covered. But basic transport is definitely the way to go. Support those dealers willing to sell at MSRP!

ArktidMino

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 2.0
Your plan sounds pretty solid – having your friend check out the ride and the dealership's assistance with coordinating shipping sounds reassuring. The fact that the shipping estimate includes insurance is a nice bonus for peace of mind. It's a good idea to research the auto transport companies you're considering – ask for recommendations or read reviews to avoid those worst auto transport companies that might make your experience a headache. Just make sure to have everything in writing, so you're covered in case anything unexpected happens during transit. Also, don't forget to give yourself some extra patience with the shipping process. Sometimes, delays can happen due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Your plan sounds pretty solid – having your friend check out the ride and the dealership's assistance with coordinating shipping sounds reassuring. The fact that the shipping estimate includes insurance is a nice bonus for peace of mind. Just make sure to have everything in writing, so you're covered in case anything unexpected happens during transit. Also, don't forget to give yourself some extra patience with the shipping process. Sometimes, delays can happen due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
This thread is from three years ago.

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I didn't ship mine, but I did purchase it from an out of state dealer 750 miles away from me. It cost me less than $400 in a one way 3 day rental and gas to go pick it up. So if you find one that isn't completely across the country, consider that option as well.
Sponsored