Need Help Purchasing Out of State

Vu_jonny

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Rav4
Anyone have any experience purchasing out of state? I have a Premium stratosphere mt reserved for me out in MI but I need to get it registered for CA before I can finance with my bank. Any ideas how to go about that? Also do I need to get a smog checked approved for CA?

sorry for all the noob questions, this will be my very first brand new car purchase ever!
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Anyone have any experience purchasing out of state? I have a Premium stratosphere mt reserved for me out in MI but I need to get it registered for CA before I can finance with my bank. Any ideas how to go about that? Also do I need to get a smog checked approved for CA?

sorry for all the noob questions, this will be my very first brand new car purchase ever!
Your MI dealer will get you a MI temporary tag. They will also get you setup for CA, tag wise. Being in CA you might have to be a bit more proactive when it gets there and talk to your local DMV. Shouldn’t be a problem at all.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Then the sales, etc tax differences will have to be figured out by the MI dealer as well..

Grubb

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT (Jan/2023)
I have purchased out of state a few times. The latest was a Tacoma for my wife. Dealership took care of the paperwork. Temp tag to get home. A trip to the local DMV took care of the rest. It’s done all the time.

OP
OP
Vu_jonny

Vu_jonny

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Rav4
Now my only problem is my bank won’t let me finance unless it’s registered for CA. The dealer has to get back to me if I’m allowed to finance with Toyota first considering I’m not from MI, register the car for CA, then refinance with my bank.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
A lot of wrong information here. If you buy a car from another state other you reside in, the dealership won’t register or take of the taxes from the state you reside in. Yes, you will have a temp tag but you will still need to register the vehicle in your own state. When you go register, that’s when you pay the taxes.
As far as the temp tag, a lot of the temp tags from different states won’t work for certain states because a lot of fraud happening on fake temp tags. Just make sure you add insurance on it right away before you drive and have a copy of it with you(digital/not) and have the vehicle purchase paperwork with you to prove you did just buy it.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A lot of wrong information here. If you buy a car from another state other you reside in, the dealership won’t register or take of the taxes from the state you reside in. Yes, you will have a temp tag but you will still need to register the vehicle in your own state. When you go register, that’s when you pay the taxes.
As far as the temp tag, a lot of the temp tags from different states won’t work for certain states because a lot of fraud happening on fake temp tags. Just make sure you add insurance on it right away before you drive and have a copy of it with you(digital/not) and have the vehicle purchase paperwork with you to prove you did just buy it.
I only know it has been easy as hell here in Florida. Maybe it's because we get so many snow birds 🤷‍♂️ But every time I've bought one I pay for my County sales tax rate at the time of purchase. It's in my final paperwork (tax, title, tag). They give me a temp tag and mail me my Florida tag. Every time. I don't doubt anyone else. I just know that's how it's been for me. As easy as @Grubb is saying.

If you want the car @Vu_jonny, ask the dealer you're buying it from. I'm sure they'd love to sell you the car. Check rates at a few major banks and your credit union and get approved (not pre-approved). Lastly, speak to the finance manager at the dealer. If it's a new car that has never been titled before it really should be very easy.

OP
OP
Vu_jonny

Vu_jonny

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Rav4
I only know it has been easy as hell here in Florida. Maybe it's because we get so many snow birds 🤷‍♂️ But every time I've bought one I pay for my County sales tax rate at the time of purchase. It's in my final paperwork (tax, title, tag). They give me a temp tag and mail me my Florida tag. Every time. I don't doubt anyone else. I just know that's how it's been for me. As easy as @Grubb is saying.

If you want the car @Vu_jonny, ask the dealer you're buying it from. I'm sure they'd love to sell you the car. Check rates at a few major banks and your credit union and get approved (not pre-approved). Lastly, speak to the finance manager at the dealer. If it's a new car that has never been titled before it really should be very easy.
I’m not worried about getting approved, the only problem is the car has to be registered under CA first before my bank will allow me to finance. But I’ll try to ask a few other banks that will allow the finance without the car being registered to CA right off the bat.

OP
OP
Vu_jonny

Vu_jonny

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Rav4
I’m not worried about getting approved, the only problem is the car has to be registered under CA first before my bank will allow me to finance. But I’ll try to ask a few other banks that will allow the finance without the car being registered to CA right off the bat.
I got approved for 3.7% but they said it can be lower once they get the final details through.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
What crap bank are you using that is asking that? I've literally never had a bank say the car had to be registered first before they would finance. You have to "own" the car first before registering and how would that work if the bank isn't financing it yet? (assuming not paying cash)

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Are you talking about buying a car in state? If so, of course, that is how every state works. However, if you buy a car out of your state of residence, you pay the tax of your resident state, when you go to register it.

If this wasn't true, you could go to the couple states that have no sales tax and buy a car tax free. The government ain't going to allow that.

OP
OP
Vu_jonny

Vu_jonny

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Rav4
What crap bank are you using that is asking that? I've literally never had a bank say the car had to be registered first before they would finance. You have to "own" the car first before registering and how would that work if the bank isn't financing it yet? (assuming not paying cash)
Kinecta credit Union 😂 They said it’s not a CA car. If it was from CA than they would have no problem 🤷‍♂️. I had the same thought as you….

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you talking about buying a car in state? If so, of course, that is how every state works. However, if you buy a car out of your state of residence, you pay the tax of your resident state, when you go to register it.

If this wasn't true, you could go to the couple states that have no sales tax and buy a car tax free. The government ain't going to allow that.
No I have to pay my state (county) sales tax. I can only assume they work closely with the DMV since I’ve only been on the purchasing side. Only this post has been harder than my previous purchases 😂
Sponsored