Car(s)
Supra
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
"This OE sodium-filled valve will not allow you to increase more horsepower without having failures in your engine."

:hmm:

Gearbangin

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 175/1500 2007 TRD Edition FJ Cruiser/Lifted/Murdered out 2016 NT 200T F Sport 2019 RCF Anniversary Edition Matte Nebula Gray
Sodium filled valves are fine. Corvettes use them in race engines. See below. No worries.

Jason at Katech has come out and said repeatedly their is nothing wrong with the oem sodium filled valves and that is what they use on ALL OF THEIR ENGINE BUILDS!!

That's all I need to hear from the Shop that builds countless LS7 High Performance Engines and Racing Engines for GM Racing, and also runs them in their own personal Zs (the oem sodium filled valves). Also, their have been no issues with the sodium filled valves in the battle tested LS6 engine.

That's not good enough for you?

Remember the old expression, if it's NOT BROKE, don't fix it, if you must pull your heads off and get them more bullet proof in your mind put on some bronze valve guides, new oem valve springs, and call it a day and enjoy your car.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yep, basically they're awesome when engineered properly because they are lightweight and they dissipate heat. I have no idea why Ferrea is making such bold claims with such a broad stroke as there are many engines that require no upgrade when modified. Sure, at some point they may become an issue when things start getting real crazy, but I've had them on many turbocharged cars with no issues.

Maybe other engines im less familiar with are more prone to failure, but generally speaking it's a great design.

Webweasel

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GT4 ST205, A90 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, basically they're awesome when engineered properly because they are lightweight and they dissipate heat. I have no idea why Ferrea is making such bold claims with such a broad stroke as there are many engines that require no upgrade when modified. Sure, at some point they may become an issue when things start getting real crazy, but I've had them on many turbocharged cars with no issues.

Maybe other engines im less familiar with are more prone to failure, but generally speaking it's a great design.
The technology itself is very old too. The Merlin engine in the Spitfire had them. It's sorta amusing to see it used as a selling point on modern engines.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yeah, it's definitely nothing new and has changed very little overall in that time

Mk5nut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Hyundai accent 1.6~90k kms
Sodium filled valves are fine. Corvettes use them in race engines. See below. No worries.

Jason at Katech has come out and said repeatedly their is nothing wrong with the oem sodium filled valves and that is what they use on ALL OF THEIR ENGINE BUILDS!!

That's all I need to hear from the Shop that builds countless LS7 High Performance Engines and Racing Engines for GM Racing, and also runs them in their own personal Zs (the oem sodium filled valves). Also, their have been no issues with the sodium filled valves in the battle tested LS6 engine.

That's not good enough for you?

Remember the old expression, if it's NOT BROKE, don't fix it, if you must pull your heads off and get them more bullet proof in your mind put on some bronze valve guides, new oem valve springs, and call it a day and enjoy your car.
The hyundai/kia 3.3t gdi engine, which won best engine of the year award also has sodium filled valves, and i haven't seen owners complain about it's reliability or durability.

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
So are Sodium valves a problem? Na
Sponsored