SPL front lower control arm clearance issue

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
No problems with mine. 2 sets of 18” Apex wheels. I’m on coilovers, SPL arms and recent replacement bolts.

2e22fac8-6906-4874-8865-7ad2781ecc4e.jpeg

Previously my arm was in the wrong position and rubbing. That was corrected, rub gone. Not a bolt issue. These are two separate issues, not to be confused. Bryan (@razorlab) noticed it right away.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Yeah maybe the standard bolt is shorter now, and that’s been corrected. Would be nice if their customer service would provide some context in their email responses

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Agree with razorlab. I too have the new stud and they are shorter and fit 18” wheels no problems. When they first revised the bolts they were too long. So just need to get the. To send you the correct one.

Oodis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT GR Supra

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Also for others if you still have the original bolts they will need to be changed. I broke both of them on track and luckily in Both cases was able to to go off track straight and stop/ get back to pits. But this is a bad thing if you break one even on the street. Here is what it looks like broken. Both broke in Same spot.
IMG_1555.png
IMG_1556.png

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Also for others if you still have the original bolts they will need to be changed. I broke both of them on track and luckily in Both cases was able to to go off track straight and stop/ get back to pits. But this is a bad thing if you break one even on the street. Here is what it looks like broken. Both broke in Same spot.
IMG_1555.png
IMG_1556.png
Yeah, my mechanic replaced both and SPL sent me both. Looks like mine broke a bit further down. Regardless, neither one wanted me on the old bolt. Kudos to you guys shouting out.

IMG_4979.jpeg

Was like ice skating ⛸ when she broke. I had to limp off track, fist in air, peace ✌🏼 symbol at the corner workers not to black flag the rest of the run group, lol.

xyros

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition Supra
Thank you for mentioning this. Any other SPL components I should be worried about?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Camber plates are all you need unless you think you are at tip of spear time wise on any track. I have run very competitive times and won stuff with just camber plates, sway bars and oem suspension for 3 seasons with nothing breaking. The challenge if you buy and install the entire suite of Verus products is: you have added multiple potential failure points, bolts, etc. You have also introduced A multiplier of adjustments that you may not need, over use, get confused. The OEM geometry is very complex and reacts very differently under load sometimes than what you "think" it should do.

I am not against SPL- 90% of their products are fine. I just think people tend to think they need something that they don't because racer X uses it- and then they over think or over adjust.

.02 and maybe not worth that

Last edited:

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Just to add in support of SPL. I was one of the first to break these bolts. So I talked to them even before they had the new ones redesigned. They have been very good support wise and they sent me the spherical bearings as well as bolt to change. I have all their arms on the car and 80 + track days on them since 2021. I also have gone to full slicks and am TT2 level run groups with big brakes etc. so defiantly have stress tested all of this stuff. I am not concerned about their parts. Race car stuff eventually breaks and wears out.

72195873248__CEE2503F-DAF8-4E45-8ABE-74B6700B0898.png

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Camber plates are all you need unless you think you are at tip of spear time wise on any track. I have run very competitive times and won stuff with just camber plates, sway bars and oem suspension for 3 seasons with nothing breaking. The challenge if you buy and install the entire suite of Verus products is: you have added multiple potential failure points, bolts, etc. You have also introduced A multiplier of adjustments that you may not need, over use, get confused. The OEM geometry is very complex and reacts very differently under load sometimes than what you "think" it should do.

I am not against Verus- 90% of their products are fine. I just think people tend to think they need something that they don't because racer X uses it- and then they over think or over adjust.

.02 and maybe not worth that
Uhh...nobody is talking about Verus here.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Response I received from SPL:
"There was no issue with the old bolts, the problem was improper installation due to not fully reading the instructions. Follow the TSB, and use that to determine if you need to get the new stud."

https://www.splparts.com/tsb-2301/
so they revised a part that had nothing wrong with it, and only broke due to improper installation.

So they’re basically saying…. this new bolt can’t be installed incorrectly, and therefore has no chance of breaking.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I agree that it is not just installation on the old bolt. I ran through two sets of these. And they were tight. In fact the stupid nut on the first ones was so hard to get tight as it us a metal tab lock vs nylock I had to use two big beaker bars to get it on plus the torque wrench. I can see their point if they were loose then the design allowed for play which could bend the bolts. But I talked to the main person early on when first failed and the new bolt design significantly ups the failure load required to break it. Hence the redesign.
Sponsored