Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Just sharing if anyone else has come across this issue:

https://www.splparts.com/tsb-2301/

IMG_4979.jpeg

?hash=5323adcb57a5b13a30bb6e3b30622fca.jpg

IMG_4988.jpeg

I was able to avoid hitting a wall on turn 17 at Sebring, but just barely. It took a lot of steering wheel scrub to find a contact point where I could get some grip back and stop the car. I was really lucky it wasn’t worse. I was able to drive off track to this location (still inside the track facilities) and get towed home a day later. A local race shop will be putting on the replacement bolt/stud and put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

2e22fac8-6906-4874-8865-7ad2781ecc4e.jpeg

SPL was incredibly helpful with this and no serious fault on my general mechanic that installed the original one. My fault was likely many of the issues mentioned in the bulletin. Now I know.

IMG_4980.jpeg
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Wow dude. I'd lose my mind if I wrecked my car because of a design flaw on the LCA hardware, which the manufacturer knew about and didn't send notices, or at least try to contact everyone that had purchased them.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
ya that is honestly pretty unacceptable, but glad you are okay man! hopefully no other damage or surprises!

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
i bet most people dont buy these directly form SPL so finding everyone would be tough.
That's why I said "try" to contact, because it would be very difficult to track people down, but we're talking about an incredible safety hazard, and if this were an OE part issue, you better believe it'd be an official recall.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Damn! 😳 I was just under my car last weekend correcting some alignment drift. I inspected and lubricated everything and the bolts are still intact and don't show cracking on my LCAs, still though that doesn't mean the material has been compromised.

During installation I had some serious concerns about these bolts and what they're being asked to hold up to, especially during shock loading of the front suspension.

I'm going to have to change these to the studs when I install my coilovers and front caster bushings for next season.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Damn! 😳 I was just under my car last weekend correcting some alignment drift. I inspected and lubricated everything and the bolts are still intact and don't show cracking on my LCAs, still though that doesn't mean the material has been compromised.

During installation I had some serious concerns about these bolts and what they're being asked to hold up to, especially during shock loading of the front suspension.

I'm going to have to change these to the studs when I install my coilovers and front caster bushings for next season.
Overall it’s a better bolt and they recommended changing them both (comes as a set). This is the pair 👇 for our car

https://www.splparts.com/products/lower-control-arm-replacement-stud-kit-g29.html

They sent notices and contacted people. Months and months back.
I bought some things from them direct and others from various vendors I suppose - nothing nada. You’d think there would be a better tracking system. Such as for drugs or guns. LOL that sounds funny but…

Last edited:

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
just saying... shouldn't SPL be giving these upgraded bolts to customers is there is a known issue and bulletin?
The bulletin clearly states all the things we could have done wrong during the installation. Their way of saying we did nothing wrong but…. you should have done this instead. And now - introducing our new upgraded part that solves all those issues you idiots may do to our parts 😂

https://www.splparts.com/trade-up-program/

I just need to figure out how many & which one of my parts are eligible for the trade up program.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
just saying... shouldn't SPL be giving these upgraded bolts to customers is there is a known issue and bulletin?
They damn well should IMHO. I was not too happy about paying $58 + $23 shipping. I seriously looked at the Verkline parts to just replace the damn things, but I can't afford them right now.

To be completely honest, I have been really disappointed with SPL parts and their customer service. I would have gone with Verkline had I known.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Their customer service has been great for me. But I was pretty disappointed about this one. At least it happened on my 3rd track day (Sunday) right before lunch. So I got ½ a day in. And I didn’t get hurt! Another bonus

They damn well should IMHO. I was not too happy about paying $58 + $23 shipping. I seriously looked at the Verkline parts to just replace the damn things, but I can't afford them right now.

To be completely honest, I have been really disappointed with SPL parts and their customer service. I would have gone with Verkline had I known.
Besides the front control arms, I haven’t broken any other SPL parts. Yet 🫣 😜

https://verklineusa.com/collections/toyota-gr-supra-a9x

Holy goodies sale Batman! ☝

Of course it’s out of stock:

https://verklineusa.com/products/was-400
Sponsored