tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for some feedback from those that had their shop install XPEL's PPF Precut Bumper Kit...

And I'd also appreciate if you could post some closeups and comment regarding seam locations...
Sponsored

Famo

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra
I just got quoted 6k for a full body custom install of Xpel Stealth this would not be precut. I explained to him that I want all the edges wrapped and the least amount of buildup possible he told me this is normally a 10k+ job. Think this is a no brainer to do. I'm also thinking in the back of mind damn this is a lot of money lol. Told me it'll take about a week I imagine this is normal for a custom job? Quick question for anyone that had a custom job did they remove your body panels / bumpers to tuck in the film/wrap the edges? Thanks.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
I just got quoted 6k for a full body custom install of Xpel Stealth this would not be precut. I explained to him that I want all the edges wrapped and the least amount of buildup possible he told me this is normally a 10k+ job. Think this is a no brainer to do. I'm also thinking in the back of mind damn this is a lot of money lol. Told me it'll take about a week I imagine this is normal for a custom job? Quick question for anyone that had a custom job did they remove your body panels / bumpers to tuck in the film/wrap the edges? Thanks.
The templates can be modified for edge wrapping. This is actually desirable as custom cutting everything means they are taking a razor to your entire car. Nobody has perfect hand control, so nicks can happen. There are a lot of ways to edge wrap to where panels donā€™t have to come off if the panel gap is large enough. At 6k, if they are pulling the car apart in any major way, Iā€™d be surprised. I had some pieces removed on mine and some were not. Standard templates were used on some panels, modified for others, and I believe a couple bulked areas.

Bumpers, trunk, and the hood are the major areas that present difficulties / decisions. Discuss these with the installer. The door vent trim is hard to edge wrap without removal (small gaps). If you expect this, make sure they know how to remove it as it is not readily apparent.

Be clear up front with your installer what you are looking for. If they have done a Supra before, have them show you where they think the areas youā€™d be least happy with are and what the options there are for those areas.

At the end of the day, a good installer can make a kit look great with some smart modifications. A bad installer will struggle no matter what they do.

satindragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
You can see how my car came out here:

This is my Phantom Supra with Xpel Stealth PPF on it. They were able to stretch 60" to cover the entire hood.

supra.jpg

kayos90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2020
New to the forum and looking to engage with the community as I'm learning more about the car. Did most of yall opt to do the full body film or just certain segments. Wondering which is the best option to go for as the jump between how much you cover gets mighty expensive...

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
New to the forum and looking to engage with the community as I'm learning more about the car. Did most of yall opt to do the full body film or just certain segments. Wondering which is the best option to go for as the jump between how much you cover gets mighty expensive...
If you are doing gloss, you can get by with a full frontal fairly well. Maybe add behind the rear wheels. If you buy splash guards, you can do less than that with little risk.

kayos90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2020
If you are doing gloss, you can get by with a full frontal fairly well. Maybe add behind the rear wheels. If you buy splash guards, you can do less than that with little risk.
Does @XPEL offer the option to cover the rear wheels? and the segments underneath the door? I didn't think I saw that option available on their website...

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Does @XPEL offer the option to cover the rear wheels? and the segments underneath the door? I didn't think I saw that option available on their website...
The patterns are modifiable. I have mine wrapped in Suntek but portions are modified XPEL patterns. Any decent PPF shop can modify a pattern for what you need.

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
Xpel did have a kit for under the doors and to do the sections behind the rear wheels. I have both of those on my car as well as a lot of other areas covered.

satindragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
It depends. If you have a color where color matching is reasonably possible, then I'd only do the front clip. That would include the headlights, hood, front bumper, side mirrors and front fenders.

If you have matte paint, I'd do the entire car. Combine it with a good ceramic and you're good to go.

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
My car is going to get wrapped next Monday but I need some opinions. Should I go Xpel stealth or keep it shiny. They will also be ceramic coating it as well. This is on downshift blue. Thoughts?

satindragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Either way. If you go stealth make sure the shop is comfortable with stretching the material to fit the hood. Xpel is currently only available in 60" wide rolls unlike the gloss. That said, the frosted look on a downshift blue would look pretty cool.

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Either way. If you go stealth make sure the shop is comfortable with stretching the material to fit the hood. Xpel is currently only available in 60" wide rolls unlike the gloss. That said, the frosted look on a downshift blue would look pretty cool.
In addition make sure they are going to cut by hand rather than use pre-cut templates because they can hide the seams much better than are designed in the templates. This does require some razor blades near the vehicle so be aware. I did stealth on a nocturnal black and am super happy with the results, but it took time and an experienced shop. There is one very small area on the hood that is noticeable from stretching as mentioned above, but they did it 3 times to get it near perfect.

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes cutting by hand. They have a couple
Supras already but I havenā€™t seen a picture of anyone that had a matted downshift blue. Not sure what itā€™s going to look like. Was hoping someone had one done by now.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Yes cutting by hand. They have a couple
Supras already but I havenā€™t seen a picture of anyone that had a matted downshift blue. Not sure what itā€™s going to look like. Was hoping someone had one done by now.
I would go with matte if I was in your shoes and wanted a complete wrap. I also think the blue would look really damned good matte. If I wanted gloss Iā€™d just do a full frontal, but that is just me.

Who are you going with in Houston? The shop I used just hit me up to have mine redone on the house as they figured out how to one piece my trunk with 8 hands involved. I canā€™t say enough good things about AFS.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.