Streethunter wing/spoiler experiences in the rain

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra MK5
Hello fellow Supra-friends!
I am looking into purchasing the Streethunter spoiler for my Supra. On Youtube I saw some - not too many - hints that after installing the wing, the trunk was leaky when driving in the rain.
One guy even had issues with his battery because it got wet.

Does anyone have experiences like this? Or is everything dry after installing the Streethunter?
Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Dont do it.

Everyone that has one complains of awful fitment or rusting hardware.

If you drill it on you are stuck with it as taking it off involves filling holes and repainting the hatch.

adrian56k

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
I currently have one on my soup but it’s a full carbon rep. Reason being I did research prior to ordering and from what I’ve noticed, more often than not, the reps fit better than the actual SH. Pretty disappointing for a $1.2k SH wing. However, I did also notice some authentic SH owners state they didn’t have issues but it was hit or miss. Majority of people seem to have more luck with the reps. It’s honestly your decision, I just went with the higher odds. As far as installation, I would go to a reputable body shop, it may be a bit more pricey but they’ll do what needs to be done. With mine, the body shop drilled the mounting holes along the side of the trunk in which if water were to seep through, it would go down the trunk lining outside of the trunk seal. They also added thin layer of silicone around the drilling points just as a back up safety measure. We’ve been getting a lot of rain in California recently and I’ve had no issues thus far, trunk is perfectly dry. Hope this helps!

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I'm disappointed, because I thought this was gonna be about sweet wake vortices visible in the mirrors during heavy rainfall and the associated spray at highway speeds...

watkins_glen_racegal_june28_15_8.jpg

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I have the Extemeonlinestore rep street hunter wing.

I love the way it looks.
It’s over less then have the cost of the OG
It fits really well.
I have no leaking just use the supplied gasket.
Being all ABS I think its a tick lighter.

What I don’t like.
Rear visibility in the mirror is pretty crap but you’ll get that with almost anything over a small lip spoiler. I can see but it’s not great.
The wing (middle part) is just plastic they don’t have a CF version when I got mine so it moves a bit at higher speeds And closing the trunk. I’ve learned when I lower the trunk I put my hand under the wing so it doesn’t shake about.

Otherwise if you like the look and install it properly it looks great and doesn’t leak.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
My street hunter wing is one of the few that fit decently, or at least the shop the OP took it to did a good job installing it. There is a very very slight gap on the left side I was able to fix when I removed the wing. IF you get it, throw the hardware away and buy SS hardware. Mine did leak really bad, what I did was used "goop" around each hole waited about an hour or so for it to start drying, then another ring of "goop" after another hour or so the goop was still soft and I installed the wing compressing the "goop" down. it hasn't leaked since. BUT you could use a gasket material to do the same.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I'm disappointed, because I thought this was gonna be about sweet wake vortices visible in the mirrors during heavy rainfall and the associated spray at highway speeds...

watkins_glen_racegal_june28_15_8.jpg
Well you messed up on two counts then. :)The idea of winglets at the tips of a wing is to eliminate wake vortices. Thats why commercial jets and other a/c have them these days. Eliminate the wake vortices, which reduces the drag and the fuel burn so on longer flights you can increase your passenger/freight uplift because you need less fuel for the flight duration. Higher t/off weight for less fuel.
On a race car during an endurance event you would get a measurable fuel saving and maybe eliminate a pit stop.
Phil

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Well you messed up on two counts then. :)The idea of winglets at the tips of a wing is to eliminate wake vortices. Thats why commercial jets and other a/c have them these days. Eliminate the wake vortices, which reduces the drag and the fuel burn so on longer flights you can increase your passenger/freight uplift because you need less fuel for the flight duration. Higher t/off weight for less fuel.
On a race car during an endurance event you would get a measurable fuel saving and maybe eliminate a pit stop.
Phil
I knew "vortices" possibly wasn't the right term, at least, in terms of something we desire, because obviously they're a drag...but then again, does Street Hunter claim their wing is truly functional, or just there for aesthetics?

More or less I was wondering if the vehicle's wake (visible in the mist/kickup) is noticeably different with the wing, like more of a 'rooster tail' than without the wing.

I followed the development of the 787 Dreamliner, and am very impressed with how effective those new winglets are. All great ideas are obvious, aren't they?
Sponsored