SUPRA ULTIMATE JB4 GUIDE AND LOG REVIEW (V1)

Isaleus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT , 2008 Orange GMC Canyon
Here's a tip for MT cars:

Key is to keep ECU_PSI under DME_BT by 2-3 psi. Sometimes you may see an unexplained dip in DME_BT. This indicates that the FF curve is too high at the given RPM before the DME_BT dip.

In this case, I dropped duty bias at 4500 by 2, and dropped duty bias at 5000 by 1.

1710768210989-kh.png

MT cars HATE cylinder-overfill. Any higher boost than was expected is going to make the car unhappy and drop boost targets. This part is really what makes tuning them so tricky.

Changing the JB4 boost targets also alters the FF curve, so it is best to just go additive mode and stick with the same targets and FF-value. That leaves just duty bias as a variable to adjust and smooth things out.

Duty bias used here are similar to any other catless Supra, however FF is set to 12. Everything else is standard settings on the MT firmware.
sorry to prob sound like a broken record.
Is this for basically stock MT? Just got the jb4 and have only done one pull on map 2.
Trying to learn this logging stuff so when im at the track I dont do anything too stupid.

Last edited:

Motts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90, 2014 STI, 2007 FXT
Howdy yall, if anyone wouldn't mind checking over my map 2 logs.

I'm assuming maybe something up with my octane since the ign1-6 are showing 0 during the pull?

Stock 2020 on 93oct
datazap.me | CaptainMotts | Map 2 OTS - Stock
Thanks!
So I did a map 1 and map 0 log as well to try and see if those would change the weird ignition timing I was seeing. Unfortunately I grouped the logs, so pull 1 is map 1 and pull 2 is map 0.

I think the ignition on map 0 looks correct?

Would appreciate some other eyes on these too, thanks!

https://datazap.me/u/captainmotts/log-1713456220?log=0&data=1-11-14-18-25-26-27-28-29

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
So I did a map 1 and map 0 log as well to try and see if those would change the weird ignition timing I was seeing. Unfortunately I grouped the logs, so pull 1 is map 1 and pull 2 is map 0.

I think the ignition on map 0 looks correct?

Would appreciate some other eyes on these too, thanks!

https://datazap.me/u/captainmotts/log-1713456220?log=0&data=1-11-14-18-25-26-27-28-29
Just saw all your logs, Map 0, 1 , and 2. I can definitely say you are quite octane deficient. Even stock has timing corrections. You said this was 93, so that's pretty disappointing. Would recommend filling up at a different pump next time.

Of course if you have any ethanol around, it would also fix this.

SupraGR3.0

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi all!

2023 3.0 AT Prem, catless DP (Armytrix) and intake are the only aftermarket performance mods (well, intake for the sound ... but thought I'd still mention ;)).

Post DP install, I immediately noticed lack of rear wheel traction in 1st through 3rd with WOT - main reason I picked up JB4. This is my daily vehicle so FEMTO unlock currently not an option. Plan to replace tires (with PS4S 275/295 ... or 285/305 if I can squeeze on stock wheels - can anyone please confirm?) sooner than actually needed. This should help, but figure some tuning/adjustments (at least duty bias) are needed regardless... and a little extra power never hurts! Have had her a little over a year and have ran her 8,300 miles, "manually" shifting about 95% of drive time... very familiar with the feel of each gear's (well, at least 1-5) pull throughout RPM band. That said, significant difference with catless DP... likely boost kicking in too early.

Inexperienced when it comes to tuning an engine (bear with me here, please), but have read through the JB4 bible and very eager to learn.

Logs are with 93 octane (should be). Have access to (and 5 gallons in garage) E85 and would like to run a blend once I have a better understanding of what I'm doing.

Lastly, noticed exhaust is louder and raspier immediately following cold start up (while idling, until engine warms/settles) in Map 1 vs. 0/stock. Again, new to all of this, but why that would be?

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback, my friends!

@ColonelAdama, sincere THANKS for this thread and for sharing your knowledge and experience/understanding... much appreciated! ❤🙏

Map 0 - Grouped log (sorry)... think middle of timestamp/log is best pull for analyzing. Didn't manually shift so she dropped to 2nd gear (and pulled through 3rd)

Map 1 - Felt horrendous. Slippage and clunky.

Map 2 - Felt much better than map 1 !

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi all!

2023 3.0 AT Prem, catless DP (Armytrix) and intake are the only aftermarket performance mods (well, intake for the sound ... but thought I'd still mention ;)).

Post DP install, I immediately noticed lack of rear wheel traction in 1st through 3rd with WOT - main reason I picked up JB4. This is my daily vehicle so FEMTO unlock currently not an option. Plan to replace tires (with PS4S 275/295 ... or 285/305 if I can squeeze on stock wheels - can anyone please confirm?) sooner than actually needed. This should help, but figure some tuning/adjustments (at least duty bias) are needed regardless... and a little extra power never hurts! Have had her a little over a year and have ran her 8,300 miles, "manually" shifting about 95% of drive time... very familiar with the feel of each gear's (well, at least 1-5) pull throughout RPM band. That said, significant difference with catless DP... likely boost kicking in too early.

Inexperienced when it comes to tuning an engine (bear with me here, please), but have read through the JB4 bible and very eager to learn.

Logs are with 93 octane (should be). Have access to (and 5 gallons in garage) E85 and would like to run a blend once I have a better understanding of what I'm doing.

Lastly, noticed exhaust is louder and raspier immediately following cold start up (while idling, until engine warms/settles) in Map 1 vs. 0/stock. Again, new to all of this, but why that would be?

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback, my friends!

@ColonelAdama, sincere THANKS for this thread and for sharing your knowledge and experience/understanding... much appreciated! ❤🙏

Map 0 - Grouped log (sorry)... think middle of timestamp/log is best pull for analyzing. Didn't manually shift so she dropped to 2nd gear (and pulled through 3rd)

Map 1 - Felt horrendous. Slippage and clunky.

Map 2 - Felt much better than map 1 !
As you expected, the downpipe needs to be tuned for.

Stick with Map 2, but drop FF to 40 and try out these duty settings that I run (also catless)

Hopefully can get you a cleaner baseline.

As for the louder and raspier exhaust, that is just from the downpipe. JB4 is essentially inactive at idle. It is possible that the JB4 exhaust flap control is activating on cold start (mine does it). you can adjust that by holding the BC button on the turn signal stalk. switch between exhaust flap always open, always closed, or OEM mode.

duty_15duty_20duty_25duty_30duty_35duty_40duty_45duty_50duty_55duty_60duty_65duty_70
30​
30​
30​
32​
34​
34​
34​
46​
64​
64​
66​
68​

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks pretty good! Timing is perfect (that's why we love our ethanol around here). Lets try to get boost closer to target though. Going to try to fit your FF curve to the WGDC a bit better.

duty_15duty_20duty_25duty_30duty_35duty_40duty_45duty_50duty_55duty_60duty_65duty_70
50​
50​
50​
50​
50​
50​
55​
60​
60​
60​
55​
55​

SupraGR3.0

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
As you expected, the downpipe needs to be tuned for.

Stick with Map 2, but drop FF to 40 and try out these duty settings that I run (also catless)

Hopefully can get you a cleaner baseline.

As for the louder and raspier exhaust, that is just from the downpipe. JB4 is essentially inactive at idle. It is possible that the JB4 exhaust flap control is activating on cold start (mine does it). you can adjust that by holding the BC button on the turn signal stalk. switch between exhaust flap always open, always closed, or OEM mode.

30​
30​
30​
32​
34​
34​
34​
46​
64​
64​
66​
68​
Thank you for the quick feedback - will make the changes and will run/post new log!

Completely understand there shouldn't be any changes regarding louder/raspier exhaust from JB4... but I installed the DP in December - I'm used to the louder/raspier sound (louder cold/hot starts ... LOVE the hot start) ... but it is even louder on cold start with any map other than 0/stock. This only started after installing JB4, and only on maps other than 0. I honestly thought something was wrong when I first cold started in map 1/2 and noticed it. Will try holding the BC button/switching exhaust flap open/close to see if it changes and let you know.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm used to the louder/raspier sound (louder cold/hot starts ... LOVE the hot start) ... but it is even louder on cold start with any map other than 0/stock. This only started after installing JB4, and only on maps other than 0.
Almost certainly the JB4 exhaust flap control is opening on cold start. Whereas OEM mode keeps valve closed until cold start is finished.

Glad I could help!

Kevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Poopra, 95 240s(u)x, 91 240s(u)x, 01 Cherocrap
Looks pretty good! Timing is perfect (that's why we love our ethanol around here). Lets try to get boost closer to target though. Going to try to fit your FF curve to the WGDC a bit better.

50​
50​
50​
50​
50​
50​
55​
60​
60​
60​
55​
55​
Awesome! I will try the changes after work and log. Thank you so much man!

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sorry to prob sound like a broken record.
Is this for basically stock MT? Just got the jb4 and have only done one pull on map 2.
Trying to learn this logging stuff so when im at the track I dont do anything too stupid.
Yeah, honestly haven't seen logs from a stock DP MT yet, so not 100% sure. I would assume the same tuning method.

Send one over! It'll probably be even easier to dial in
Sponsored