Supra vs 86 Compared and Contrasted in TFL Review

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
They are two completely different cars. Can’t really compare apples to oranges.

The most impressive thing about the A90 to me, is the instant tq and 0 lag. I was blown away.
Sponsored

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I can agree that for a beginner driver the 86 is the easier car to handle and have fun in.. I can’t agree with anything else.

I personally much prefer the supras steering, feel, comfort, etc. The 86 does feel more “raw” as you say, but if I want a raw feeling car I would buy an evo 8, not the 86. The supra is extremely comfortable and does 90% of what it does better than the 86. There is no denying that.
I would say its a car that every enthusiast will appreciate for what its trying to be. I wouldnt call myself a begginer, I drove a lot of sports cars, from MX5/S2000 to Porsches, Ferraris etc, I'm tracking 86.
Imo steering in 86 is exceptional, almost on the same level as old hydraulic Porsches. Feel is much more premium as a whole car, but I'd prefer less body roll, thats why if I decide on Supra I'll do something like KW Clubsport, more adjustable/suitable for the track. Comfort is on another level in Supra, its much much better daily.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not hating on Supra, its in my top3 "to get" cars at the moment, I liked in more than 718 or M2C. In some areas its miles ahead of 86 (the feel, luxuries, daily comfort, ENGINE!, sound, brakes). It just lacked some rawness and sharpness I get from 86 and that is what I'm looking for, thas why I enjoy 86 more despite it being much slower.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It just threw me off that he was comparing an 86 to a Porsche GT3 lol
Oh cmon, it was just a pararell. Ofc 86 is not even close to GT3. Just bit over exaggerated comparision in feel, for me.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
I would say its a car that every enthusiast will appreciate for what its trying to be. I wouldnt call myself a begginer, I drove a lot of sports cars, from MX5/S2000 to Porsches, Ferraris etc, I'm tracking 86.
Imo steering in 86 is exceptional, almost on the same level as old hydraulic Porsches. Feel is much more premium as a whole car, but I'd prefer less body roll, thats why if I decide on Supra I'll do something like KW Clubsport, more adjustable/suitable for the track. Comfort is on another level in Supra, its much much better daily.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not hating on Supra, its in my top3 "to get" cars at the moment, I liked in more than 718 or M2C. In some areas its miles ahead of 86 (the feel, luxuries, daily comfort, ENGINE!, sound, brakes). It just lacked some rawness and sharpness I get from 86 and that is what I'm looking for, thas why I enjoy 86 more despite it being much slower.
I hope to see you in a Supra soon!

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope to see you in a Supra soon!
Maybe it will sound like a sacrilege but I'm looking for a 2.0 option coz of the lower mass (like I said, I dont need power but.. that 3.0 is so sweet). Its said to be 1395kg only and I like low weight, a lot. Tuning that 2.0 to ~320hp will be also super easy. Good suspension on top of that, CUP2's and we can go :>
Other option is Alpine A110S. That car is mental. Shame its super compact, 0 practicality. But it bites so hard on the turn in its almost unbelivable.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought my 2nd 86 (1st was a '13 FRS). I decided this after driving a '19 718 CS w PDK. I haven't been able to drive a supra, but I haven't heard anyone say the tranny is better than a PDK. As good as the PDK was (and it may have grown on me), I realized that I really wanted to get back into a MT sports car, and after putting a couple of hundred fun miles on my Hakone 86 yesterday, I'm happy. If Toyota offer a MT in the Supra, and the car isn't plaged with typical BMW issues, I could see looking at a Supra, and a GR86 in a couple of years. BTW, there's some good pricing out there right now. For the next couple of years, the 86, with nameless axleback and a raceseng Asiko shift knob, will be a hoot as a weekend car and a couple trips to COTA a year. I really interested in the new 86 chassis...wondering how much heavier it will be.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I just bought my 2nd 86 (1st was a '13 FRS). I decided this after driving a '19 718 CS w PDK. I haven't been able to drive a supra, but I haven't heard anyone say the tranny is better than a PDK. As good as the PDK was (and it may have grown on me), I realized that I really wanted to get back into a MT sports car, and after putting a couple of hundred fun miles on my Hakone 86 yesterday, I'm happy. If Toyota offer a MT in the Supra, and the car isn't plaged with typical BMW issues, I could see looking at a Supra, and a GR86 in a couple of years. BTW, there's some good pricing out there right now. For the next couple of years, the 86, with nameless axleback and a raceseng Asiko shift knob, will be a hoot as a weekend car and a couple trips to COTA a year. I really interested in the new 86 chassis...wondering how much heavier it will be.
First of all, what issues is this car plagued with? Car has been out under a year.. Can you elaborate what BMW issues your talking about? And as far as manual, who cares? The auto is as fun as a manual if not better. I love how people talk smack about a car they don't even own or driven.....

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
First of all, what issues is this car plagued with? Car has been out under a year.. Can you elaborate what BMW issues your talking about? And as far as manual, who cares? The auto is as fun as a manual if not better. I love how people talk smack about a car they don't even own or driven.....
The Supra is too new to have a "known issues" list, but BMW has had more than its' share of issues, which knock them well below Toyota and Porsche in both reliability and resale. In any case, Toyota has a better warranty track record. As far as "who cares" about MT: I do. I've driven many higher end autos, and if the ZF8 isn't better than PDK, I probably won't like it. My preference for MT over auto isn't "smack", it's my opinion, and that seems to be what the OP is asking for...maybe Toyota will come to their senses on test drives...for now, I bought a car I know I like ;)

20200416_121307.jpg

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
The Supra is too new to have a "known issues" list, but BMW has had more than its' share of issues, which knock them well below Toyota and Porsche in both reliability and resale. In any case, Toyota has a better warranty track record. As far as "who cares" about MT: I do. I've driven many higher end autos, and if the ZF8 isn't better than PDK, I probably won't like it. My preference for MT over auto isn't "smack", it's my opinion, and that seems to be what the OP is asking for...maybe Toyota will come to their senses on test drives...for now, I bought a car I know I like ;)

20200416_121307.jpg
well, I hope you enjoy your higher end MT BRZ/86. :)

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R
Both are fun cars! This is not about 86 vs Supra (apples vs oranges) It is about which is more "FUN" to drive. Though fun can be very subjective, it's more HOW you drive and PUSH your car to the limits which actually makes it more fun!

Usual recipes for fun!
Lightweight, balanced, high revving engine, superb steering/handling characteristics, great exhaust sound, manual :D
Always more fun if you can tail or beat a more high powered car :p

b85ce91d86c868790ae984da0021b9d4--driving-quotes-car-quotes.jpg

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Both are fun cars! This is not about 86 vs Supra (apples vs oranges) It is about which is more "FUN" to drive. Though fun can be very subjective, it's more HOW you drive and PUSH your car to the limits which actually makes it more fun!

Usual recipes for fun!
Lightweight, balanced, high revving engine, superb steering/handling characteristics, great exhaust sound, manual :D
Always more fun if you can tail or beat a more high powered car :p

b85ce91d86c868790ae984da0021b9d4--driving-quotes-car-quotes.jpg
Yes. On a road course, especially a technical one, it's 95% talent/set up over power. I can't count the times I've seen NA miatas hound cars with 6x the HP on track.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

20200416_121307.jpg
That green gold combo is just sick :bow:
I drove Supra a lot on twisties and it wasnt more fun than my 86 for me, thats why I did hold off with Supra purchase (and belive me I was ultra hyped to get it) at least till new GR86. And 8ZF is not as good as PDK (its really good but on AS good), its slower than BMW DCT too. PDK is almost art level as auto trans goes, but it still isnt manual no matter how fast it shifts :(

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That green gold combo is just sick :bow:
I drove Supra a lot on twisties and it wasnt more fun than my 86 for me, thats why I did hold off with Supra purchase (and belive me I was ultra hyped to get it) at least till new GR86. And 8ZF is not as good as PDK (its really good but on AS good), its slower than BMW DCT too. PDK is almost art level as auto trans goes, but it still isnt manual no matter how fast it shifts :(
Love that red as well, same I chose in '13 :)
Sponsored