Supra ZF8HP51 vs BMW GS7D36SG

snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370Z TT
How is the ZF8HP51 (3rd Gen ZF) compared to a BMW GS7D36SG DCT?

Reason I am asking, is because I am looking at doing a transmission swap into my Nissan 370Z Twin Turbo using either a ZF8 or a BMW DCT.
Many people are doing these swaps these days on lots of different older platforms, with more modern trans swapped in and using standalone transmission controllers like HTG and Turbo Lamik to control them . And I am interested in doing the same. Most people are using the older Gen 1 ZF8s to swap into their cars.

I don't think anyone has done it with the Gen3 ZFs (ZF8HP51) that are in the A90+ Supra. I would like to use newer tech, so when I do the swap I will chose between the ZF8HP51 if possible or the BMW GS7D36SG.

Has anyone had good experience with both these trans and compared them in terms of smoothness, response and shift speeds?
Sponsored

OP
OP

snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370Z TT
Apparantly they use ZF8 now in M cars is because of the switch to AWD and cost savings. According to some sources, BMW did not want to invest in an AWD DCT, and ZF8s are far cheaper and readily available for many situations including awd ZF8s.

But who knows?
Sponsored