Talkin’ Clutch - General Impressions

Kroberter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91MT Supra, 95 Rx7,67 Corvette 427ci
I feel like the travel is extremely long. I’m 5’7”, so the amount my leg has to move to get full engagement is taking me a lot of getting used to. My wife drives it too and she is 4’11” so it looks like she’s climbing a ladder when shifting.
I like how light it is for sitting in traffic. I never feel fatigued.
I’m about 130miles in to driving it so this is my first tank of gas before it turned into an ice rink. I’m sure I’ll get used to it and it’ll be second nature.
The car is incredibly rewarding when you shift quickly, the more I try to ease in the clutch the worse it feels. Slam it and dump it and it feels smooth. Leave the rev matching to the ecu.
Sponsored

sstevecc82

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
I feel like the travel is extremely long. I’m 5’7”, so the amount my leg has to move to get full engagement is taking me a lot of getting used to. My wife drives it too and she is 4’11” so it looks like she’s climbing a ladder when shifting.
I like how light it is for sitting in traffic. I never feel fatigued.
I’m about 130miles in to driving it so this is my first tank of gas before it turned into an ice rink. I’m sure I’ll get used to it and it’ll be second nature.
The car is incredibly rewarding when you shift quickly, the more I try to ease in the clutch the worse it feels. Slam it and dump it and it feels smooth. Leave the rev matching to the ecu.
I agree, the clutch pedal travel is long and feels light. Hopefully someone make a fully adjustable clutch pedal system.

OP
OP

Adrenaldestruction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Definitely long. It has grown on me, though!

I drove the S2000 the last couple of days, which I generally do not simply due to the tiny nature of the thing…
But getting that old(er) clutch feel, and tiny throw, was really a treat. Apples to oranges, I suppose - still learning to love the Supra but it’s coming along.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
Having driven nothing but manual cars (most with aftermarket clutch stops), I think that this is a great transmission. Is it as mechanical as an old s2000? Nope, but I don't think it ever was trying to be. Modern tech has evolved the way that manual transmissions are designed and handled.

We're all going to think it needs something different based on our experiences and physical design.

As far as a modern transmission goes, I personally think it's great. Engaging to the point where you're having fun, yet filled with enough tech that you can daily it without worry. Just like every car, you get used to engagement points and how hard it wants to grab. Seat time helps with it. But, what I find makes a bigger difference, is making mistakes. All those shifts that weren't smooth or the downshift that wasn't matched properly. That's what makes it a joy to drive. The chance to hone your skills each and every drive.

I know that no one here is trying to point out pure faults with it, but let's remember that it's probably one of the last manual transmission cars you'll be able to buy. So don't focus on what could have been done different and let's focus on the fact that we get the chance to enjoy it.
Sponsored