TC spontaneously activating/Too sensitive

ChrisMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
I've recently switched wheels and tires on my car to some Rays 57CRs using 305/35/19 on the rear and 275/35/19 on the front. For the life of me I cannot figure out why my TC is spontaneously activating during the simplest of maneuvers. I could be getting on or off a highway ramp at 45mph and have TC momentarily kick on as if it were detecting loss of grip, which isn't happening. Whats truly frightening is having this happen at higher speeds, usually 90+ on long corners.

This never happened with the stock wheels and only just started happening after switching over to the new set. I've had to resort to driving with TC one click off as this is the only way to prevent this issue from occuring. I was thinking maybe an alignment issue, but it was aligned by the shop who mounted them to begin with. The cars' also lowered on MSS springs, but then again, it was lowered with stock wheels and this didn't happen. Could this be a ride height sensor related issue? I was getting the chassis function limited warning on my screen a few weeks ago, but has since disappeared. Anyway, if anyone's experienced this issue in the past and knows a solution, or can impart some knowledge/advice on how to proceed, that would be great!
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Definitely changing tire size (profile) & height can alter the OEM computer calcs & settings. I’d keep that sucker turned off with one click. Good thinking on your part. Otherwise you’re burning through your brakes pads for no reason. As long as you feel in control. TC is great for the majority of the public that doesn’t know how to handle the car when you start to loose grip. They brake too hard with the wheel turned for example, causing a spin.

Best advice would be enjoy that new setup and take her on track. You’ll never want that sucker on again.

Last edited:

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
i'd double check the ride height sensor as they're prone to being knocked loose or snapping.

also, did you go into the car's tire settings and change the values? "other summer tires" and "other tire size", etc?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Change the tire settings to other in the menu. Same thing happened on my car when I switched from the stock tires to RT660s. Changing the tire settings not only fixed it, the TC now behaves even better than it did on the stock setup.

OP
OP
ChrisMK5

ChrisMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
i'd double check the ride height sensor as they're prone to being knocked loose or snapping.

also, did you go into the car's tire settings and change the values? "other summer tires" and "other tire size", etc?
Yeah I'm thinking ride height sensor as well since I do indeed have my tire setting switched to "other". I'm also wondering if this could be an alignment issue as well?

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Yeah I'm thinking ride height sensor as well since I do indeed have my tire setting switched to "other". I'm also wondering if this could be an alignment issue as well?
i'd do an alignment first, yeah. being lowered + on 18" wheels, the car has changed quite a bit. since you're in miami, go to Apex Alignment near Tamiami Airport for the alignment. he's a genius, he's kinda stern but you'll get used to the guy. i personally like 0 toe front. also have your tire pressure checked (basics)

OP
OP
ChrisMK5

ChrisMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
Ha that's ironic, I was recommended to go see him by Alex over at MPI, albeit, for my rear tire rub issue. In Alex's words, the man's a mad scientist when it comes to alignments haha. Anyway, MPI will also be checking my ride height sensors on Monday first thing and then I have an appointment at Apex that Thursday. It's got to be one or the other, I'm stumped at this point...

Tire pressures in check with 38ish psi in the front and back currently on Nittos NT555R2s
i'd do an alignment first, yeah. being lowered + on 18" wheels, the car has changed quite a bit. since you're in miami, go to Apex Alignment near Tamiami Airport for the alignment. he's a genius, he's kinda stern but you'll get used to the guy. i personally like 0 toe front. also have your tire pressure checked (basics)

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Ha that's ironic, I was recommended to go see him by Alex over at MPI, albeit, for my rear tire rub issue. In Alex's words, the man's a mad scientist when it comes to alignments haha. Anyway, MPI will also be checking my ride height sensors on Monday first thing and then I have an appointment at Apex that Thursday. It's got to be one or the other, I'm stumped at this point...

Tire pressures in check with 38ish psi in the front and back currently on Nittos NT555R2s
he is! lol. i would also voice my concerns to him. he may be able to provide an explanation as to why you’re experiencing what you are. i’m sure he’s worked with similar BMWs exhibiting that issue

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thats a lot of tire pressure for those R2's. I run mine at 30 on the street and many say that's too high. I've always been recommended around 25-28 regular driving, and I hooked best at 18 when racing. I run 30 just to keep the light off.

OP
OP
ChrisMK5

ChrisMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
he is! lol. i would also voice my concerns to him. he may be able to provide an explanation as to why you’re experiencing what you are. i’m sure he’s worked with similar BMWs exhibiting that issue
I shall do exactly that! Thanks for the tips my man, appreciate it!

OP
OP
ChrisMK5

ChrisMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
Thats a lot of tire pressure for those R2's. I run mine at 30 on the street and many say that's too high. I've always been recommended around 25-28 regular driving, and I hooked best at 18 when racing. I run 30 just to keep the light off.
:O
I will get those pressures adjusted asap. Thanks for the heads up!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Glad you found someone local! @bushido Bryan would know. Hope to see both of ya on track soon 😃 Either of y‘all doing NASA in Oct at Sebring? Or Daytona with Chin in Nov?

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Glad you found someone local! @bushido Bryan would know. Hope to see both of ya on track soon 😃 Either of y‘all doing NASA in Oct at Sebring? Or Daytona with Chin in Nov?
i was supposed to join Nov 11th at Daytona, but my track buddy and i decided it wasn't a financially responsible choice since we have several trips this fall. instead, i'll be doing autocross in November and a track event early next year :)

edit: haven't checked dates yet, but we'd like to do Homestead!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i was supposed to join Nov 11th at Daytona, but my track buddy and i decided it wasn't a financially responsible choice since we have several trips this fall. instead, i'll be doing autocross in November and a track event early next year :)

edit: haven't checked dates yet, but we'd like to do Homestead!
:offtopic:
Sorry @ChrisMK5 but I hope you get all fixed up and we see you out there as well ❤‍🩹

Yeah, Homestead fit my schedule well last year. Happened to be the weekends I was off. I work every other weekend. So I hit the ones that I can take a Friday off, cruise to whichever track, do the early check in and chill. It’s a nice little mini vaycay from the real world 😂

I don’t think Homestead lines up with the 2023 track groups. But will let you know when they release thier 2024 schedule. Up until April. Then I’ll pack it up again 🥵
Sponsored