Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a very misunderstood car.. people that have never driven one hate and once they do.. they absolutely adore it. GenV is what the Viper always wanted to be.

The latest gen Viper is definitely a thing of beauty as well as an absolute destroyer on the track. Why they don't outsell everything else in that class is a total mystery to me.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
That's just a conspiracy theory. It's all about the $$$, that's all. Toyota couldn't give half a hoot if you were putting a VR38 and AWD in your Supra in video game land. If their market research says that their involvement in Forza isn't making them profit, then they won't make a license deal.
I don't think a VR38 is even an option in Forza for the Supra, its more that 'mods' in general are allowed. Note, the new Need For Speed lost the license too...
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/09/04/no-toyota-in-need-for-speed-payback-either

Yet GT Sport and games like Project Car 2, that don't have a modification system, got the license. So the theory is pretty sound.

Guff, as often the case, is correct in the entirety of what he said for reason as well as PD's involvement.

Turn 10 just didn't care much about adding Toyota to the game.
I don't think so. Turn 10, like Polyphony, set out to make an all inclusive, encyclopedia of the automotive landscape. Every major manufacturer is in the new Forza Motorsport, except Toyota's street cars (their race cars and trucks ARE there). Turn 10 cares plenty about having Toyota's. Here's the list of them from the last Forza Horizon game....

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/games/fh3/cars/toyota

Their current graphics spec hasn't changed on FM7, the 2 games share art assets. All of those Toyotas from FM3 have been upgraded to their current fidelity spec, even for 4K (FH3 just released their XBox One X 4K patch). Hell the mk3 Supra was only just upgraded to the latest spec in DLC for FH3 last year. This for sure is a licensing issue, and Turn 10 definitely wants Toyota on board. Unless Turn 10 did something to piss off Toyota, this is entirely on Toyota's end. And per my big previous post, they are loosing way more then whatever it is they think they are gaining by doing this. If you have no info on this I'd understand, but it would be great if you could pass my feedback on to the right people.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
The "no mods" theory isn't so crazy when you think about it...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/02/news/companies/toyota-self-driving-car-company/index.html

You can bet your ass there will be protections in place to prevent people from modifying self driving cars. Still, the whole thing smells of one hand not knowing what the other is doing and vice a versa. They obviously want people to modify GT86s, (the car was built to take a roll cage!) and the same dude is heading up the Supra so I'm sure that arm of Toyota is down with user modified vehicles (what was that brand, or right, Scion...). Maybe the licensing arm is more closely related to the self driving/future direction arm.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I don't think a VR38 is even an option in Forza for the Supra, its more that 'mods' in general are allowed. Note, the new Need For Speed lost the license too...
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/09/04/no-toyota-in-need-for-speed-payback-either

Yet GT Sport and games like Project Car 2, that don't have a modification system, got the license. So the theory is pretty sound.

I don't think so. Turn 10, like Polyphony, set out to make an all inclusive, encyclopedia of the automotive landscape. Every major manufacturer is in the new Forza Motorsport, except Toyota's street cars (their race cars and trucks ARE there). Turn 10 cares plenty about having Toyota's. Here's the list of them from the last Forza Horizon game....

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/games/fh3/cars/toyota

Their current graphics spec hasn't changed on FM7, the 2 games share art assets. All of those Toyotas from FM3 have been upgraded to their current fidelity spec, even for 4K (FH3 just released their XBox One X 4K patch). Hell the mk3 Supra was only just upgraded to the latest spec in DLC for FH3 last year. This for sure is a licensing issue, and Turn 10 definitely wants Toyota on board. Unless Turn 10 did something to piss off Toyota, this is entirely on Toyota's end. And per my big previous post, they are loosing way more then whatever it is they think they are gaining by doing this. If you have no info on this I'd understand, but it would be great if you could pass my feedback on to the right people.

Also keep in mind that they pulled the GT86 out of NFS as well, Payback only has the BRZ

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Also keep in mind that they pulled the GT86 out of NFS as well, Payback only has the BRZ
Probably after they saw what the front of the facelifted GT86 looked like, didn't want to nauseate their customers.... :p

Last edited:
OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
it's definitely a money thing; the marketing guys said Toyota wanted a certain amount of money, and certain companies were not willing to pay that amount.

it may be both though... like hey, wanna mod our cars from stock configuration, then pay this or don't allow them to be modified.

totally a different part of the company from myself though.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
it's definitely a money thing; the marketing guys said Toyota wanted a certain amount of money, and certain companies were not willing to pay that amount.

it may be both though... like hey, wanna mod our cars from stock configuration, then pay this or don't allow them to be modified.

totally a different part of the company from myself though.
Gran Turismo all day.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Lame. Toyota should be paying Turn 10 to have their cars in the game.

I guarantee other manufacturers have the foresight to recognize the value of this kind of marketing and brand association, and are making deals with Turn 10 to get more exposure. For instance I just got a free DLC upgrade in FM7 with both the new Huyndai Turbo Veloster and the i30 N Veloster Turbo. Also Ford, who is absolutely killing it with producing enthusiast vehicles right now, is all over the current Forza games. Every single performance model they make currently is in there and some have been in free DLC as well, and they debuted the new Ford GT with the last FM game. Even Porsche, who was the only hold out on the last game, is back with a vengeance and worked a deal to reveal the new GT2 RS with the roll out of the current game as well.

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lame. Toyota should be paying Turn 10 to have their cars in the game.

I guarantee other manufacturers have the foresight to recognize the value of this kind of marketing and brand association, and are making deals with Turn 10 to get more exposure. For instance I just got a free DLC upgrade in FM7 with both the new Huyndai Turbo Veloster and the i30 N Veloster Turbo. Also Ford, who is absolutely killing it with producing enthusiast vehicles right now, is all over the current Forza games. Every single performance model they make currently is in there and some have been in free DLC as well, and they had they debuted the new Ford GT with the last FM game. Even Porsche, who was the only hold out on the last game, is back with a vengeance and worked a deal to reveal the new GT2 RS with the roll out of the game as well.
Hm, give an american company our cars, or the Japanese, native company that had our cars in the first place and have assisted us in the past on development?

I wonder how this could be such a easy question to answer, regardless of relevancy.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I think Toyota should try to facilitate the advertising side more, but without further details its hard to tell. anymore it's become clear to me that things in life are seldom due to a single reason and instead are mostly an amalgam of things.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Hm, give an american company our cars, or the Japanese, native company that had our cars in the first place and have assisted us in the past on development?

I wonder how this could be such a easy question to answer, regardless of relevancy.
There didn't need to be a choice here. Both games could have had the license (as they've always had in the past), but either Toyota got greedy with the licensing fees for some reason as A70 is suggesting, or Sony worked another sneaky deal with Toyota where they got Microsoft and EA excluded somehow. Sounds far fetched, but Sony has been pulling BS like that a lot lately in the videogame biz. Blocking other companies to maintain their death grip on the console market, even if it hurts their own customers (which it doesn't in this case, but it hurts lots of Toyota fans).

This isn't just an XBox player vs Playstation player problem either anymore. Microsoft has taken all of their 1st party games and made them completely cross play and 'pay once, play anywhere' with the PC. You can get the exact same version of Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 3 (both the current games) on PC. You can not, and never will, be able to get a Gran Turismo game on PC. And the PC gaming market has made huge inroads on consoles in the last 10 years, the combined PC and XBox player base is much larger then the PS4 player base. Again, Toyota bet on the wrong horse.

Last edited:

Patchaaron

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS350, corolla
so completely unrelated question that I probably know the answer to... but would you know if will the s-FR ever become an production car or is that program scrubbed?

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
so completely unrelated question that I probably know the answer to... but would you know if will the s-FR ever become an production car or is that program scrubbed?
Chances are minuscule, I guess. I might have bought one to build a track car.

Patchaaron

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS350, corolla
Chances are minuscule, I guess. I might have bought one to build a track car.
Dang, I was Wanting one as a commuter/ for weekends at willow springs. (I live 20 minutes away) I wouls Have made it look at close to the white and cf connect they had along side the ft-1 a few years back.
Sponsored