The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
My experiences are the opposite. Every mkiv, I've seen is owned by the same guy; Hector, from the Fast and Furious, trying to "go legit, and get on the NIRA circuit."

It has horrible paint, either faded red/pink or dull black. Has a bunch of upgrades of various "old school" parts, and multiple anodized color schemes. Purple HKS cams, spray painted bolt dress kits, red reservoir caps. Also, stickers. Gotta have stickers. Also, not to forget windshield banners to match the color of the car, to "extend the hoodline, bro."

They all park as far away as possible from the mkv, backed in. When exiting any location, they always rev/two step/peel out and almost lose it and crash into a pole. Then, proceed to blast down the residential area going 95 thru a school zone. This is why there aren't many good examples. It's either, "I drop 55k on an Altima FULLY LOADED at 26% APR, or I get an mkiv. "I know a place/contact/auction sale, where I can find a unicorn bro." Because, "I can build it myself." They are scooped up fairly cheap in mediocre/salvage condition, then further degraded, until they end up crashed. Its a sad circle of mkiv life. Sad life for most until they are lost forever, unfortunately šŸ˜•. ALSO, this is IMO, based on my experiences with them and their owners, obvs it's not indicative of every example lol. I have seen a few, from this site that are super clean, and the owners kept good care of them.
Hispanics will rice out any car so there's nothing new there. :dunno:
Sponsored

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Its no secret that Im not the biggest fan of the A80 but the majority that I have ran across were in pretty decent condition. Sure there are riced ones out here and there but lets not make the A80 out to be the new 350Z. Now the RHD A80s were 50/50 lol...

Pretty much every MK4 that I have seen at meets are clean as hell. It's the MK3 that are usually trashed and riced out lol.
Probably because they are so abundant and can be had for relatively cheap that most owners could really care less about taking the proper care and maintenance that is needed for such an old car.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
These were taken at the most recent Supra Houston meet.

_nc_ohc=B2W1uGI_QpgAX80hF62&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

FVjv85IJmek8WdKs4E-AdHDdfQk&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=_86x2D520sgAX-DQfba&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=ucu2ldpmtRIAX8CMbFo&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=qACvidiRLBIAX-0nlad&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=q9vTnps5begAX8YUTBU&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=itjIdXIJUAAAX9bwhSm&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=GeWPyuT5OMkAX_nA7PW&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=uKEvjs3DnxAAX8Ma7XF&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=eEjKnsZU_VoAX981qCb&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=wrr08CVDxsYAX9FcTZY&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg
Thatā€™s the way to do it! Bam šŸ’„

Top Gear has an episode of the new MKV (back in 2020) and a ton of previous gens showed up at the end looking badass! They were all beautiful šŸ˜» However, Iā€™ve never seen any in the wild. So itā€™s mega cool when they can all get together like this.

Curious though, how do you get the guy who pulls up in the Pepto Bismol pink or Barney purple with sparkles, negative 35 degree camber, to not park next to the OEM clean spec ones? To me, that makes it priceless. The untouched look after all those years gone by.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
MKIV fanboys: The supra wouldā€™ve been so much better if Toyota had designed it themselves

I do love the old supras but letā€™s be real. Toyota didnā€™t make anything interesting (LFA excluded) since the 90s and it shows.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
MKIV fanboys: The supra wouldā€™ve been so much better if Toyota had designed it themselves

I do love the old supras but letā€™s be real. Toyota didnā€™t make anything interesting (LFA excluded) since the 90s and it shows.

I think they said it well, ā€œfor the priceā€ - thatā€™s even more key today in ICE cars uncertain future. The MKIV was so badass back in its day. We knew we were going to continue to put gas in our cars, there were other really good contenders to go up against, the market segment wasnā€™t as squeezed as it is today.

I hope I can hold onto this MKV as long as the MKIV guys have with theirs. I like the BMW esque of the MKV. If I lived in a snow area and needed a 4 wheel drive mobile, that GR Carola is pretty damn cool, as they were saying. Luckily Toyota is a big enough company to hit the buttons for all our different needs & wants. With their GR program, they actually add a little bit of spice as well, to that ā€œfor the priceā€ crowd (like me) šŸ˜œ