The Magazine Scan Thread

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I get what you are saying.. they are just trying to capitalize on the name with a poor attempt. Well it’s too late now to change anything etc. Toyota will have a BMW as its flagship car for years to come and if this doesn’t sound bad.. not sure what else will.
I don't mind the two working together if it's the best of both worlds, not the worst. BMW engine and excitement coupled with Toyota engineering and reliability sounds like a win-win to take down another German competitor about fun. We just have to test drive and see if they succeeded on that. Or wait till tomorrow or even later tonight once the reviews go live.
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mind the two working together if it's the best of both worlds, not the worst. BMW engine and excitement coupled with Toyota engineering and reliability sounds like a win-win to take down another German competitor about fun. We just have to test drive and see if they succeeded on that. Or wait till tomorrow or even later tonight once the reviews go live.
Hey all I’m saying is also cater to the enthusiasts. Don’t leave them out. Looks at the auto Supras of the past vs. manuals. Look at what’s more desirable.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey all I’m saying is also cater to the enthusiasts. Don’t leave them out. Looks at the auto Supras of the past vs. manuals. Look at what’s more desirable.
Can't compare the autos of the past to the present. The autos today are leagues ahead now of the manual but you lose the spirit of driving. I wished they gave a manual not because I would want one, but to cater to those who would pay for it. Also, you never know if Getrag is giving BMW shit for working with Toyota and threatened to never make another manual transmission to them. I still don't know what happened with Toyota and Getrag but they seem extremely displeased and would do their best to sabotage any plans of having their names associated with them. And as a note as the first line on wiki

Getrag (German: [ɡəˈtʁaːk]), stylized as GETRAG,[5] is the world's largest supplier of transmission systems for passenger cars and commercial vehicles.

Doesn't really bode well if they won't help them out..

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
We all know you aren't happy with this Supra you have made it more than clear.

But its hard to compare the supra Vs its competition 25 years ago and now. Technologies, car classes, manufacturing methods, have all changed so much.

I think the Supra is going to be awesome, Everyone wants to compare it to the MKIV, but not all the A series cars were monsters, just one. The path this supra takes I think will be an incredibly enjoyable and fun car to drive. There will be tons of potential to up the power. But I do believe its missing the manual trans desperately as well.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can't compare the autos of the past to the present. The autos today are leagues ahead now of the manual but you lose the spirit of driving. I wished they gave a manual not because I would want one, but to cater to those who would pay for it. Also, you never know if Getrag is giving BMW shit for working with Toyota and threatened to never make another manual transmission to them. I still don't know what happened with Toyota and Getrag but they seem extremely displeased and would do their best to sabotage any plans of having their names associated with them. And as a note as the first line on wiki

Getrag (German: [ɡəˈtʁaːk]), stylized as GETRAG,[5] is the world's largest supplier of transmission systems for passenger cars and commercial vehicles.

Doesn't really bode well if they won't help them out..
Meh.. Getrag is not the be all end all for transmissions. There are tons better out there.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah.. agreed. Now this abortion is comparable to Honda Civic Type R as even that FWD car is faster than what we are getting with the Supra name. This world would be better without this car being called as a Supra. But Toyota has no concern for tradition, honor or doing the right thing. For them money is the only thing they care about. If the founder of the company hears about.. its flagship car is made by BMW he might shoot everyone that was responsible for it and go back to his grave. Pathetic.
Jesus bro, think you need to take a five from all this Supra stuff man. I'm stressing about how much you're stressing.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jesus bro, think you need to take a five from all this Supra stuff man. I'm stressing about how much you're stressing.
:( the stress is real.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
True, but what brand are the manuals in BMW sourced from?
They sold their soul to have the flagship car made by BMW.. might as well go the extra step and swallow their pride and make things work again with Getrag

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
They sold their soul to have the flagship car made by BMW.. might as well go the extra step and swallow their pride and make things work again with Getrag
Getrag would rather go bankrupt:rofl:

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
We all know you aren't happy with this Supra you have made it more than clear.

But its hard to compare the supra Vs its competition 25 years ago and now. Technologies, car classes, manufacturing methods, have all changed so much.

I think the Supra is going to be awesome, Everyone wants to compare it to the MKIV, but not all the A series cars were monsters, just one. The path this supra takes I think will be an incredibly enjoyable and fun car to drive. There will be tons of potential to up the power. But I do believe its missing the manual trans desperately as well.
That's the thing. It's a "A" series car, but is it even Toyota's "flagship" sports car anymore? The LFA, the LC and the forthcoming GR Supersport certainly would have something to say about that. :dunno:

It seems that they do intend it as a "Halo" of sorts... maybe its that the mission has changed?

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
That's the thing. It's a "A" series car, but is it even Toyota's "flagship" sports car anymore? The LFA, the LC and the forthcoming GR Supersport certainly would have something to say about that. :dunno:

It seems that they do intend it as a "Halo" of sorts... maybe its that the mission has changed?
The mission of the GR SuperSport seems to be "Roadgoing LMP1 car"

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
I get what you are saying.. they are just trying to capitalize on the name with a poor attempt. Well it’s too late now to change anything etc. Toyota will have a BMW as its flagship car for years to come and if this doesn’t sound bad.. not sure what else will.

Founder would say.. we allied with Germans once back in the 40s and we ended up with two nuclear bombs in our backyard. Are you sure you want to try this again?
If we are following this trend, guess they will kamikaze this supra.