The "Unofficial" Pricing U.S. 2020 Supra models!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Tada's friend said there was a specific reason for it relating to reliability iirc, but this was a long time ago when I asked about it being 340ps (my actual question was why not more).
Probably has to do with weight distribution
Sponsored

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
Based on Z4 pricing in US and Germany here is my guess for German Supra pricing:

Base 3.0 52,900
Premium 3.0 56,900
Launch Edition 59,900

All prices including German Taxes.

FreeFall

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
57 chevy, 12 mustang, accura, silverado
I've little doubt the car will trap at about 110-112 thru a quarter mile (not that it's a drag racer- just that quarter mile trap speed is about the most reliable measurement of HP vs weight), and that's certainly reasonably quick. Unlike the MkIV, it will be outgunned by the C7, and likely the mustang and camaro, as well (I get it that it's not competing in the same segments, but we were all quick to tout the MkIV for how it compared then, so fair's fair). I have faith that the chassis will be a good one, and that the intangibles like steering and brake feel will be on point. The interior will likely be quite nice as well. BMW and Toyota both historically do these things well, so it seems reasonable to assume that they will get this car right.

So, the price is right, and I'd say the performance is right (for me, at least; I don't care if it's "tunable" to 1,000hp- without a full cage, 1,000hp is adolescent bragging rights...gotta love seeing all the 1,000hp cars pulling mid 12s...at like 150mph lol), but I'm not really sure what is IS to me. It's a driver's car, or so I believe, and that just says three pedals to me. I'm gonna have to be the luddite here and say that the lack of a manual will probably count me out. In my opinion, it's neither supercar fast nor attempting to be anything like practical (which would be my only reasonings for wanting an automatic. Others differ, I know). When the fervor dies down, I will likely try to drive one. I will give it a chance because I really want to like this car. I've just never driven an automatic that was as enjoyable to drive as a manual. I realize that from the manufacturer's point of view, I am an outlier- a statistical anomaly. I accept that, but I will also vote with my checkbook.

We shall see how it goes and whether or not a manual is forthcoming. Besides, that will allow time for the usual BMW consumer inflicted beta testing (it's to be hoped that this has been "Toyota'd" out of it, but I'm not betting $60k on finding out. I swore I'd never buy another BMW product, and the Supra is as close as I will likely get).

Sure is pretty, though.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
This is all wishful thinking but since the low power output has been announced, I've been thinking "when was the last time Toyota offered a Turbocharged sports car?"

Since the demise of the MKIV, Toyota's performance division (TRD) has been in the business of supercharging their cars left and right adding about 100hp give or take by outsourcing blowers from Magnasun/Eaton. I'm talking 5-8 psi on weak rods and pistons in "economic" engines that were still covered under warranty under certain conditions such as being installed by a certified dealer.

The BRZ/FRS was rumored to have a TRD FI upgrade coming but seeing how the boxer can barely handle any boost reliably I think they decided not to.

Forward to now, what Toyota has with the MKV is a 700hp capable engine and a car that has legendary status among tuners. I mean even insiders are claiming it will be tuner friendly. Making a deal with reputable aftermarket companies like Greddy and HKS to create performance upgrade parts or "packages" (god forbid stages?! lol) of aftermarket support would be the perfect recipe for a successful Supra successor.

Buy the base model for $50K, add an intake, down pipe, intercooler, exhaust and tune for $10k. Now you have a +450whp MKV under warranty for $60k. I mean that's what everyone is going to do anyway, why not profit from it Toyota?

FreeFall

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
what Toyota has with the MKV is a 700hp capable engine and a car that has legendary status among tuners.
I have no doubt whatsoever that this engine can be tuned beyond the chassis' ability to handle it without touching the long block. It won't hook, but the power will be there, for sure.

Australian of The North

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Turbo 6 Speed & 2019 Toyota Supra GR GTS
... what Toyota has with the MKV is a 700hp capable engine and a car that has legendary status among tuners....
The badge, the A80 and the 2jz has legendary status...... NOT The A90 - not yet.

Its a car that hasn't even been released (until tomorrow), its almost entirely BMW and its got NOTHING on it derived from the A80, other than another iteration of the build code.... We don't even have official stats, and thus we are all just guessing at what actual figures might appear.

With all that, the A90 has NO right to inherent the legacy, nor the linage of the Supra line - YET.
Its not an evolution or developmental progression of the Line, its a complete rebooting of every single aspect, from Tyre caps to badge - its all new.

I'm not saying the A90 is a good or bad car, merely that by facts alone, it has no right to be hauled up early onto the same hall of fame pedestal the A80 has. To be worthy of the supra name its going to have to match the cool factor, the wow factor, the performance factor and tune-ability of the A80, whilst compensating for its reduction of driver engagement... all that's going to take about 5-10 years to fully pan out.

I suspect tomorrow will be a mixed reveal, with the majority facing significant disappointment, and only a minority will be excited. BUT - Tomorrow is just Day 1 for the Series 1 A90 supra. Let see how it does. Will it start out with a credible "Supra" badge?, or will it leave Detroit as the "Zupr4"?

Sammy82

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'99 Subaru sti
Are you guys actually thinking that if you mod this car it will still be covered under warranty? Whoever is thinking this, put the crack pipe down.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
I have no doubt whatsoever that this engine can be tuned beyond the chassis' ability to handle it without touching the long block. It won't hook, but the power will be there, for sure.
What makes you say no? M4's and M3's, which have same torsional rigidity, are hooking up with 1000whp and drag radials.

One caveat might be the super short wheelbase (like 14 inches shorter than M's lol), but we will see what actually happens...

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Are you guys actually thinking that if you mod this car it will still be covered under warranty? Whoever is thinking this, put the crack pipe down.
The very same company in question here has released countless TRD superchargers that are covered under warranty after installation. Why couldn't this be applied here on the A90?

TRD at this very moment offers mods for the 86 and other vehicles that won't void the warranty.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
The badge, the A80 and the 2jz has legendary status...... NOT The A90 - not yet.

Its a car that hasn't even been released (until tomorrow), its almost entirely BMW and its got NOTHING on it derived from the A80, other than another iteration of the build code.... We don't even have official stats, and thus we are all just guessing at what actual figures might appear.

With all that, the A90 has NO right to inherent the legacy, nor the linage of the Supra line - YET.
Its not an evolution or developmental progression of the Line, its a complete rebooting of every single aspect, from Tyre caps to badge - its all new.

I'm not saying the A90 is a good or bad car, merely that by facts alone, it has no right to be hauled up early onto the same hall of fame pedestal the A80 has. To be worthy of the supra name its going to have to match the cool factor, the wow factor, the performance factor and tune-ability of the A80, whilst compensating for its reduction of driver engagement... all that's going to take about 5-10 years to fully pan out.

I suspect tomorrow will be a mixed reveal, with the majority facing significant disappointment, and only a minority will be excited. BUT - Tomorrow is just Day 1 for the Series 1 A90 supra. Let see how it does. Will it start out with a credible "Supra" badge?, or will it leave Detroit as the "Zupr4"?
No Supra has ever had something in common, ffs we had a hatchback Supra turn into a GT and then into a luxury!:doh:

FreeFall

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What makes you say no? M4's and M3's, which have same torsional rigidity, are hooking up with 1000whp and drag radials.
I've seen guys with about 1,000hp go high 8s at 165 or so in an M3...with a cage and slicks. I have never seen 1,000hp in anything but a dyno queen or the local "fly by king" that didn't have a cage. At that point, it's kind of a drag only car. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but if one were inclined to go that way, there are better options to start with, I think, without "un-engineering" the best chassis that BMW and Toyota could come up with. My $.02 and worth less than that.

rob13567

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 camaro 2ss
Don't have a crack pipe sir, just thinking since the horsepower is a little low and alot of talk about the engine being tunable. it's trump card would be like the mustang's having 600 or 700 hp and still being covered under warranty.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
I completely agree with you. People in this forum can be so questionable.
Low power supra? --> I'll just boost it or supercharge it. Fuck your warranty, right?
High cost? --> Its a supra!
Its going to be light! --> I will lol so hard tomorrow if this thing weighs 3,500 lbs.

The very same company in question here has released countless TRD superchargers that are covered under warranty after installation. Why couldn't this be applied here on the A90?

TRD at this very moment offers mods for the 86 and other vehicles that won't void the warranty.
that includes... air intake, filters, aero pieces...
TRD "offered" superchargers for their tacoma and tundra line up years ago. They pulled out for many specific reasons.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.