Thunderhill Feb 20-21

CaptCanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai ES
I got anti-wind buffeters from Verus for about $200, I know AMS makes them for around the same price, and I’ve heard of people getting them for less—not sure from where.
Thanks for the reply :)
Ya I see from the various threads there are a shedload of options and was thinking the pricier ones (not always true of course) might be better quality and able to handle 120mph vs tootling around town at 35.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TimM.

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
Hi folks - apologies for the thread bump for a tangential question - but it looks like you guys will know the answer :)
What are you doing to handle the buffeting? Laguna, Thunderhill, Willow, etc... will all see speeds well over 100mph and my reading in the buffeting fix threads, is that most people are driving them at respectable highway speeds or less.

I'm not a heavy track day guy, maybe 2-4 year, but with the windows down requirement on track, was wondering about faffing about for 3rd party workarounds. Thanks!
Yeah, I've been holding out on paying $150-ish for these aftermarket carbon fiber stick on deflectors you see everywhere, mostly because I've only owned my car during the cooler winter months but also because I keep hoping someone puts out a cheaper shiny black plastic one that matches the mirrors on the car.

For track days, I take a nerf dart and wrap it in non-residue masking tape and stick it to the mirror in the same spot the after market deflectors go. Works great for the morning runs at the track but, as we know, the afternoons in California get pretty breezy and the deflectors don't work so well then.

I'm not usually very frugal but it's irritating to have to spend $150 plus on these stupid little deflectors when cheap black plastic ones could be made for waaaaaay cheaper in my opinion.

CaptCanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai ES
Yeah, I've been holding out on paying $150-ish for these aftermarket carbon fiber stick on deflectors you see everywhere, mostly because I've only owned my car during the cooler winter months but also because I keep hoping someone puts out a cheaper shiny black plastic one that matches the mirrors on the car.

For track days, I take a nerf dart and wrap it in non-residue masking tape and stick it to the mirror in the same spot the after market deflectors go. Works great for the morning runs at the track but, as we know, the afternoons in California get pretty breezy and the deflectors don't work so well then.

I'm not usually very frugal but it's irritating to have to spend $150 plus on these stupid little deflectors when cheap black plastic ones could be made for waaaaaay cheaper in my opinion.
Interesting, I did a quick Google on what the heck those things are :) Ya I was at Laguna in Nov and coming up the hill to corkscrew was getting smacked right in the side of the face the wind was properly whipping up. Hadn't thought about that making the question moot.

To the OP, in a roundabout manner, how did the day go? With NASA, pessimistic me would be worried there'd be more serious racers in the top two groups leading to more oil getting leaked on track.
Thanks again chaps for the assistance!
Sponsored