Tires feathering

Jreezy

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
Need some help, my tires are feathered. I have a 2020, H&R springs, Fronts 19×10 and 19×11 in rear. I'm being told that I need to get aftermarket lower control arms because the front camber can't be adjusted in front. Is this true? I know I can't undo the feathering. But once I get new tires. What do you guys recommend, to prevent the new tires from feathering?
Sponsored

ope_sry

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 premium
Yes- no factory adjustment for camber unfortunately. Aftermarket control arms or camber plates needed

edit- rear camber is adjustable from factory to an extent, the front has no adjustment

OP
OP
Jreezy

Jreezy

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
Yes- no factory adjustment for camber unfortunately. Aftermarket control arms or camber plates needed

edit- rear camber is adjustable from factory to an extent, the front has no adjustment
Ok thanks for the help and confirming.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
This is from toe, not camber. What are you current alignment settings? You did get an alignment after installing the springs, right?

Toe is adjustable front and rear from the factory.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Need some help, my tires are feathered. I have a 2020, H&R springs, Fronts 19×10 and 19×11 in rear. I'm being told that I need to get aftermarket lower control arms because the front camber can't be adjusted in front. Is this true? I know I can't undo the feathering. But once I get new tires. What do you guys recommend, to prevent the new tires from feathering?
it is not conclusive that feathering is caused by alignment although it is possible. on the topic of not being able to change front camber independently is true however, geometry of suspension, camber, toe, & caster are inter-related. meaning, you can change camber by adjusting toe. on a stock, suspensions, springs, wheels, tires, & ETC. if you adjust toe to 0.0, camber should come to -1.8. since you changed few parts, this will be different. I'm curious to know how did it effect and how much.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I'd try a different alignment shop. The place that did your last one may not have done it right.

OP
OP
Jreezy

Jreezy

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
This is from toe, not camber. What are you current alignment settings? You did get an alignment after installing the springs, right?

Toe is adjustable front and rear from the factory.
The car already had springs when I bought, so not sure if previous owner did alignment, tires have about 9k miles when I was told they are feathered (Nitto NT555). Here's where I'm at currently...

20221208_132749.jpg

OP
OP
Jreezy

Jreezy

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
I'd try a different alignment shop. The place that did your last one may not have done it right.
True, I just don't want to go waste more money if the alignments isn't what I need.

OP
OP
Jreezy

Jreezy

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
it is not conclusive that feathering is caused by alignment although it is possible. on the topic of not being able to change front camber independently is true however, geometry of suspension, camber, toe, & caster are inter-related. meaning, you can change camber by adjusting toe. on a stock, suspensions, springs, wheels, tires, & ETC. if you adjust toe to 0.0, camber should come to -1.8. since you changed few parts, this will be different. I'm curious to know how did it effect and how much.
This is where I'm currently at.

20221208_132749.jpg

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The car already had springs when I bought, so not sure if previous owner did alignment, tires have about 9k miles when I was told they are feathered (Nitto NT555). Here's where I'm at currently...

20221208_132749.jpg
This was before or after you noticed the tire wear? The toe settings where pretty bad before this. Is it more wear on the front or rear? I am guessing front?

OP
OP
Jreezy

Jreezy

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
This was before or after you noticed the tire wear? The toe settings where pretty bad before this. Is it more wear on the front or rear? I am guessing front?
This is after I was told my tires were feathered, so I went to get an alignment. So does the alignment look good now? or what would you recommend any adjustments? But yea definitely in front.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
This is where I'm currently at.

20221208_132749.jpg
Like I said, feathering may not necessarily caused by alignment. it could be driving habit as well as condition of rubber. for example, I had a brand new all weather tire on my BMW and after 1 session on the track, it was feathered like crazy. that I still have on my bmw even after 3 years.. and previous tire did not feathered. This was due to few things. the all season tires does not have grip yet I pushed it beyond its capability and this being brand new, rubber is not yet galvanized. meaning molecule is not yet "settled". I'm not saying this is your case but what I experienced and learned from it.

in my opinion, it is not crazy difference between before and after but it looks like fixed some discrepancy which is good. and looks like they performed factory setting. for your reference, this is my alignment.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/my-pewter-supra-build-log.5904/page-3#post-144563

OP
OP
Jreezy

Jreezy

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
Like I said, feathering may not necessarily caused by alignment. it could be driving habit as well as condition of rubber. for example, I had a brand new all weather tire on my BMW and after 1 session on the track, it was feathered like crazy. that I still have on my bmw even after 3 years.. and previous tire did not feathered. This was due to few things. the all season tires does not have grip yet I pushed it beyond its capability and this being brand new, rubber is not yet galvanized. meaning molecule is not yet "settled". I'm not saying this is your case but what I experienced and learned from it.

in my opinion, it is not crazy difference between before and after but it looks like fixed some discrepancy which is good. and looks like they performed factory setting. for your reference, this is my alignment.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/my-pewter-supra-build-log.5904/page-3#post-144563
thanks for the info, are running any mods suspension wise?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
This is after I was told my tires were feathered, so I went to get an alignment. So does the alignment look good now? or what would you recommend any adjustments? But yea definitely in front.
The front toe is kind of aggressive. For street use, I would just zero it out.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
thanks for the info, are running any mods suspension wise?
it is stock except anti-roll bar. only other thing that may have contributed change is, 5mm spacer and the tire, 285 35 18. this changes OD of the tire, hence height as well. you may noticed my front toe is 0 which will make the car, "direction change happy". may not be suitable for street driving but I had many people liking it for track.
Sponsored