Toyota Dealership Sets My A90 on Fire, is Giving Me an A91 Even Trade: A Cautionary Story

LaredoHK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Lancer Sportback
The last month has been a wild ride. Dropped off my A90 to the dealership for a Warranty Badge Replacement (It was cracked like others have posted) and it's 1 Year Service visit. The badge was replaced first, things went well. Next, the oil was changed, that went well, small amounts of oil were spilled on the engine due to the oil filter's location. Degreaser was used to remove the oil......

Here is where sh1t gets juicy. They claim a metal tool makes contact with a live wire that traverses the bottom of the car, and creates a spark. This spark then ignites the degreaser. This fire melts $3500 worth of wiring harnesses and kills the power steering.

After a month of waiting for parts to repair the car, they give up on the Rona affected supply chain and offer me an A91 as an even trade (with added CF mirror caps).

CRAZY I KNOW. I'm just here telling this story if it prevents anyone else from having a similar fate. They have been good about making things right all through the process but felt like I should bring the story here to share.
Sponsored

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
Sad story, but luckily it seems that you are happy with the outcome. Nice upgrade and hopefully you weren't without car for too long

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Damn... that's one hell of a story for "how did your service go?".. At least you are getting a worthy replacement.

Reading this closer - I guess I can go to the dealership and replace my cracked badge..

KellyJoe

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
It's a shame they didn't follow a simple procedure in the service manual. If you just loosen the oil filter housing / cap and just break the O ring seal, all the oil drains down into the oil pan while you go beneath to drain the oil at the pan. When finished down below and all buttoned up, the oil filter can be pulled out without a drop spilled. Glad you're being made whole and then some. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

LaredoHK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Lancer Sportback
Def not a car expert, but this is the one photo of the area (or at least one of the areas) where there was visible damage looking at the car on a rack from the underside.

119646058_3585777914779972_7324002789178442721_n.jpg

Ghostop

First Name
John snow
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Zl1 10sp 2017 civic type r
Was it stain like this on the bottom of the pan?

7CE731AE-7D3E-4D93-843B-DCC7B923CBBE.jpeg

OP
OP

LaredoHK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Lancer Sportback
I also realized I'm not up to speed on the 2021 Models, I'm getting a 3.0 Premium in Yellow, not an A91.

Jaxness

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxness.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra LE #1292, 2012 Yamaha R6
Damn. Did you lose any mods on the car?

I wouldn't be too upset with an A91 replacement, but I've already spent quite a bit of money on my A90 so I'd be bummed if I lost those aftermarket parts

ayoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Interesting the first offer was just to repair it. they set a fire on ur engine and killed the power steering on a car thats less than a year old during a what should have been a routine service. Personally, I would have been absolutely livid.

Feel like they thought about what would happen if insurance actually got involved and maybe thats why they decided to upgrade the offer? Id check to make sure there wasnt an NDA for accepting the offer and if so make sure no one can track down which dealer this happened to.
Sponsored