TOYOTA GAZOO Racing to commence sales of GR Supra GT4 in March 2020

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
You may want to read up on them as power delivery is handled differently. One clutch is typically odd gears and the other even gears. In a DCT you can be in the next desired gear without being in it per se. It is just waiting to be engaged to the drivetrain but already engaged on the motor side. Torque delivery can be pretty much uninterrupted due to the arrangement.

there are some downsides, but for a track car, the gains far outweigh the losses.
Yep, I'm aware how the DCT shaft set-up works (we actually just developed a new gearkit at work for one of the most popular DCT on the market atm) but it's very similar with the planetary arrangement in the auto box too - depending on the sun/planet and clutch pack arrangement...
Sponsored

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
GRMN was discussed as having DCT even when I was there, but the issue is on road reliability. You can bump the cost of the car (tentatively set at $85-90k atm) to pick up some of the possible costs for servicing/warranty work, but there's still a possibility that it will end up coming with an upgraded ZF8. I could see it going either way, but given the GT4 is the development platform I think we may have our answer.
living with the Getrag DCT in my evo x, with all the ups and downs, the notchiness and "recommendations" how to take care of it in them getrag technical documentation...i would take the slower, but bulletproof ZF8 for a daily supra tbh. i'm
not saying that the ZF DCT would have the same "manners" as the Getrag in the evo x (or the unit in the GT-R), but i won't ever surpass the torque limit provided by the DCT maker, unlike the ZF. mean the ZF8 only started slipping at like double the factory horsepower.
am reallllllllly skeptical about the reliability of DCT's ;), in any case, Race teams can swap out tranny's in minutes and have the budget to do so :p

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
living with the Getrag DCT in my evo x, with all the ups and downs, the notchiness and "recommendations" how to take care of it in them getrag technical documentation...i would take the slower, but bulletproof ZF8 for a daily supra tbh. i'm
not saying that the ZF DCT would have the same "manners" as the Getrag in the evo x (or the unit in the GT-R), but i won't ever surpass the torque limit provided by the DCT maker, unlike the ZF. mean the ZF8 only started slipping at like double the factory horsepower.
am reallllllllly skeptical about the reliability of DCT's ;), in any case, Race teams can swap out tranny's in minutes and have the budget to do so :p
Yeah, a planetary gearset is inherently stronger than a spur gear arrangement.... But of course, there's more to a transmission that just the gearset :)

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Any know anything about the motor used in this car? It has a single turbo and too much torque to be an off the shelf version of either s55 or s58. Toyota tuned b58? Single turbo s58?

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/riley-to-run-toyota-gr-supra-gt4-in-2021/

Riley Named as First U.S. Team to Run Toyota GR Supra GT4
Riley Motorsports to campaign Toyota Gazoo Racing Latin America-owned GR Supra GT4…

Riley Motorsports has become the first confirmed team to campaign the Toyota GR Supra GT4 in North America, with the sale of the car having gone to Toyota Gazoo Racing Latin America.

Announced by Toyota Racing Development (TRD) on Friday, the new-for-2020 GT4 car will make its North American debut in the 2021 Michelin Pilot Challenge season-opener at Daytona International Speedway.

“We are pleased to announce the sale of the first GR Supra GT4 customer race car in the United States to Toyota Gazoo Racing-Latin America,” said Tyler Gibbs, general manager, TRD U.S.A., Inc.

“The passion of the Toyota Latin American distributors and dealers, combined with a team like Riley Motorsports, who is a long-standing proven winner in American sports car racing, should make for a competitive customer effort with the Supra GT4 on track next season.”

Drivers for the program have yet to be announced.

“We are really excited to be part of the new GR Supra GT4 racing program in IMSA next season,” said Bill Riley.

“It looks competitive right out of the box, and I know it won’t disappoint.”