Toyota Supra Interior Looking More Production in Latest Sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
BMW are making some seriously nice steering wheels these days. I like that interior too
Sponsored

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
I love the two tone, red interior is good, but too much red can be bad!

ostatem3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 M3
Vehicle Showcase
Precisely. If any of you had “the pleasure” of working on a BMW M5 V10, you surely know just how poorly designed those things are. For a car that sold for close to $100k and was considered the flagship M car for it’s time, it should be capable of surviving 100k miles and an atomic blast! Those things are junk that can barely survive daily driving! I do not know anyone who drives a BMW that hasn’t had some ridiculously priced repair or part go bad....every BMW driver I know always has a horror story with reliability, but always throws in the ole’ “yeah, but nothing handles like a BMW.” Yeah ok...

There is a reason a 2014 BMW M5 with 30k miles goes for $50k, and a 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo with 150k miles goes for $50k.
While I get what you're trying to say....The fact of the matter is BMW knows it's market and second hand buyers are primarily not those of concern. They are known as the highest leasing brand. Most of their buyers lease, meaning most of their buyers do not need to worry about anything past year 3. Depreciation is a bitch for the Germans do to their long-term history as an automaker. From a different perspective you should consider being able to get an exotic like motor for half the price with way more practicality...

My 2010 M3 derived from the S85 V10 isn't far off from the magical 100k miles and it has been a bulletproof ride even with the supercharger and plethora of other mods on the car. :D

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
While I get what you're trying to say....The fact of the matter is BMW knows it's market and second hand buyers are primarily not those of concern. They are known as the highest leasing brand. Most of their buyers lease, meaning most of their buyers do not need to worry about anything past year 3. Depreciation is a bitch for the Germans do to their long-term history as an automaker. From a different perspective you should consider being able to get an exotic like motor for half the price with way more practicality...

My 2010 M3 derived from the S85 V10 isn't far off from the magical 100k miles and it has been a bulletproof ride even with the supercharger and plethora of other mods on the car. :D
I agree, that is why Toyota should not be associated or co-developing a platform with a car maker that is concerned with leasing or short-term ownership. This has never been Toyota Motor Company's vision or goal. TMC has always been a firm believer that "the best new cars make the best used cars" hinting that their cars are made to last. It has been a proven concept and has made TMC what it is today. I personally don't care about the model names or iPod integration gimmicks in a car, I care about solid and sound platforms with drive-trains so capable that on or off-road, they can take a lick'n and keep on tick'n....especially when talking about sports cars like the Supra.

As for your 2010 M3 V8 (pretty car no doubt) having a derived engine from a V10 isn't something you want to be proud of, chances are you have already replaced your rod bearings or they have been replaced previously....I know this for sure because if you haven't, your motor is either rebuilt or replaced with updated rod bearings. The M3 V8 is a ticking time bomb from the factory, rod bearing failure has been documented over and over by BMW themselves. Throw in forced induction and other mods, and I personally guarantee you that the motor will spin 4 of the 8 bearings within 300 miles of driving. If non of the above describe your engine, then sir.....your car is a garage queen that was built to ONLY idle in the garage.

ostatem3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 M3
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, that is why Toyota should not be associated or co-developing a platform with a car maker that is concerned with leasing or short-term ownership. This has never been Toyota Motor Company's vision or goal. TMC has always been a firm believer that "the best new cars make the best used cars" hinting that their cars are made to last. It has been a proven concept and has made TMC what it is today. I personally don't care about the model names or iPod integration gimmicks in a car, I care about solid and sound platforms with drive-trains so capable that on or off-road, they can take a lick'n and keep on tick'n....especially when talking about sports cars like the Supra.

As for your 2010 M3 V8 (pretty car no doubt) having a derived engine from a V10 isn't something you want to be proud of, chances are you have already replaced your rod bearings or they have been replaced previously....I know this for sure because if you haven't, your motor is either rebuilt or replaced with updated rod bearings. The M3 V8 is a ticking time bomb from the factory, rod bearing failure has been documented over and over by BMW themselves. Throw in forced induction and other mods, and I personally guarantee you that the motor will spin 4 of the 8 bearings within 300 miles of driving. If non of the above describe your engine, then sir.....your car is a garage queen that was built to ONLY idle in the garage.
In regards to Toyota working with BMW from a Quality standpoint...it could be considered risky. However, Toyota knows how to build cars..BMW cars are only considered poor due to a few weak links in the system. I'd like to believe Toyota can identify those and make necessary improvements. Based off of what has been shown to date it is very unclear how much involvement Toyota actually has in the development of the MKV, which seems similar to the last venture with Subaru...I guess we will find out.

For my M3..it's far from a garage queen...my car gets abused on a daily basis! As stated, once you identify the weak points in the motor you're good to go. Yes rod bearings are considered an issue. But, my car has seen zero RB defects. I will state I changed my bearings myself but that was because I supercharged the car and was sitting north of 68k miles. When I took my bearings out they had very little wear so my car was experiencing none of the issues. Throttle actuators, none have been replaced...it has literally been bullet proof aside from a speed sensor that has gone bad. I've had my car for a healthy 70k miles with 20k of those miles seeing 600 wheel up from the std 360ish wheel. So personally, I feel in my case everything stated is incorrect. I can't speak for those who have experienced the issues mentioned above and I'm not dumb enough to say it doesn't exist...but it is not guaranteed to happen.

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In regards to Toyota working with BMW from a Quality standpoint...it could be considered risky. However, Toyota knows how to build cars..BMW cars are only considered poor due to a few weak links in the system. I'd like to believe Toyota can identify those and make necessary improvements. Based off of what has been shown to date it is very unclear how much involvement Toyota actually has in the development of the MKV, which seems similar to the last venture with Subaru...I guess we will find out.

For my M3..it's far from a garage queen...my car gets abused on a daily basis! As stated, once you identify the weak points in the motor you're good to go. Yes rod bearings are considered an issue. But, my car has seen zero RB defects. I will state I changed my bearings myself but that was because I supercharged the car and was sitting north of 68k miles. When I took my bearings out they had very little wear so my car was experiencing none of the issues. Throttle actuators, none have been replaced...it has literally been bullet proof aside from a speed sensor that has gone bad. I've had my car for a healthy 70k miles with 20k of those miles seeing 600 wheel up from the std 360ish wheel. So personally, I feel in my case everything stated is incorrect. I can't speak for those who have experienced the issues mentioned above and I'm not dumb enough to say it doesn't exist...but it is not guaranteed to happen.
Good thing you jumped on the rod bearings early, two of my close friends owned E90 M3’s and both had the rod bearings spin on them....wasn’t pretty. To me, things like the rod bearings or water pumps should be critical components that should last under extreme conditions. I hate to keep bringing up the 2JZ, but the 2JZ’s oem bearings are known to handle upwards of 1200hp!!! The MKIV never came with that kind of power from the factory, but Toyota wasn’t making good bearings for tuners, they were making good bearings for reliability and longevity (100k+ miles capability). I hope we see this type of attention with the new car....because it’s things like this that will sell a Toyota and not a BMW.

Last edited:

ostatem3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 M3
Vehicle Showcase
Good thing you jumped on the rod bearings early, two of my close friends owned E90 M3’s and both had the rod bearings spin on them....wasn’t pretty. To me, things like the rod bearings or water pumps should be critical components that should last under extreme conditions. I hate to keep bringing up the 2JZ, but the 2JZ’s oem bearings are known to handle upwards of 1200hp!!! The MKIV never came with that kind of power from the factory, but Toyota wasn’t making good bearings for tuners, they were making good bearings for reliability and longevity (100k+ miles capability). I hope we see this type of attention with the new car....because it’s things like this that will sell a Toyota and not a BMW.
Agreed, BMW really dropped the ball on testing their Rod bearings. Sorry you had two friends who had to go through that..I do not wish that experience on anyone! I honestly do not fully understand how tolerance stack up was not completely considered or how if it was considered went undetected. The 2JZ is an excellent example of Toyota over engineering for the sake of quality and like you, I expect nothing less from the motor collab they did with BMW.

Last edited:

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT
Not interested in a bmw power plant. Toyota enthusiasts want to see a Toyota in-line 6 power plant maybe with a pro charger
I guess I'm not a Toyota/Supra enthusiast, because I wouldn't hesitate to take a BMW TT I6 over a ProCharged Toyota I6. I wouldn't even let a ProCharger touch my GT and I have no love for this car.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'm not a Toyota/Supra enthusiast, because I wouldn't hesitate to take a BMW TT I6 over a ProCharged Toyota I6. I wouldn't even let a ProCharger touch my GT and I have no love for this car.
Same here....once we all see the “different” parts between the two motors, it may put our nerves at ease. For now, im still not convinced the BMW I6 TT will be able to hold up well compared to a 2JZ.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, here we go again, the decsion was made a long time ago, it will have the BMW I6, complaining about it wont change Toyota’s decision. If you dont like it, dont buy it...
I’m not complaining about it.....I think everyone knows it will be a BMW motor, whoever doesn’t is probably in denial at this point. I am, however, a bit skeptical on Toyota using “their own” anything on the BMW motor. Maybe different valve covers and wiring harness routing.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I’m not complaining about it.....I think everyone knows it will be a BMW motor, whoever doesn’t is probably in denial at this point. I am, however, a bit skeptical on Toyota using “their own” anything on the BMW motor. Maybe different valve covers and wiring harness routing.
Toyota gives every motor it works on a little kiss at the end of production. That convinces the little motor to work extra hard and reliably. Hope everyone can sleep easy now.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota gives every motor it works on a little kiss at the end of production. That convinces the little motor to work extra hard and reliably. Hope everyone can sleep easy now.
Lol...right, the different valve covers that say "Toyota 3000 Two Way Twin Turbo" or the wiring harness that would normally protrude from the top-left side of the firewall to the the bottom-left side. I hope for more, but like I said (and I hope im wrong) it will probably be minimal changes if this car will remain affordable.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.