Not open for further replies.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
I prefer an i6 to a V6 sorry
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't see what the big deal is about a BMW i6, it's universally praised?
Sure, when its under warranty. Have fun in year 10....

CR-Magazine-Inline-Maintenance-repair-costs-3-web-09-17.png

Also, this motor has an aluminum block with 0.3mm of iron welded to the cylinder bores. Have fun rebuilding that or upgrading the pistons. Beemer mechanicals are great for performance while in warranty, but don't expect Toyota levels of durability or longevity. Out of warranty = 2jz swap time!
Sponsored

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Sure, when its under warranty. Have fun in year 10....

Also, this motor has an aluminum block with 0.3mm of iron welded to the cylinder bores. Have fun rebuilding that or upgrading the pistons. Beemer mechanicals are great for performance while in warranty, but don't expect Toyota levels of durability or longevity. Out of warranty = 2jz swap time!
Ya BMW maintenance and repair is high compared to Toyota. How much of that is BMW labor cost though?

I doubt Toyota will charge the same for labor. And from what I've read, Toyota has made improvements to the engine to make it more durable (D4-s system among other things I imagine).

I also find it ironic that you would swap out an engine after warranty instead of spending a few extra hundreds of dollars on maintenance because you're reluctant to deal with the cost associated with potential reliability issues.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Parts cost most is what gets you with BMW stuff, and constant CELL codes, and the fact that they suck at electronics and making reliable drivetrains and suspension.

You say ironic, but a jdm vvti 2jzgte can be had all day long for 2grand. Price out what replacing the vanos system on a BMW motor costs... And yes they fail all the time.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
This is what appears to be the new BMW Z4's main dash display.
Don't know if the interface will be similar in the Supra as well.

01524203546.png

And the latest interior spy shots [credits: carscoops]

2019-_BMW-_Z4-_Roadster-1.jpg

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Personally not sure I like that, looks kinda cheap to me... the Audi digiital dash is very nice but does take up alot of space at 11-12 inches...

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ If it does share a lot of the the same interior components with the Z4 it may in fact be the same dash display programmed to look a bit different.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Parts cost most is what gets you with BMW stuff, and constant CELL codes, and the fact that they suck at electronics and making reliable drivetrains and suspension.

You say ironic, but a jdm vvti 2jzgte can be had all day long for 2grand. Price out what replacing the vanos system on a BMW motor costs... And yes they fail all the time.
Precisely. If any of you had “the pleasure” of working on a BMW M5 V10, you surely know just how poorly designed those things are. For a car that sold for close to $100k and was considered the flagship M car for it’s time, it should be capable of surviving 100k miles and an atomic blast! Those things are junk that can barely survive daily driving! I do not know anyone who drives a BMW that hasn’t had some ridiculously priced repair or part go bad....every BMW driver I know always has a horror story with reliability, but always throws in the ole’ “yeah, but nothing handles like a BMW.” Yeah ok...

There is a reason a 2014 BMW M5 with 30k miles goes for $50k, and a 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo with 150k miles goes for $50k.

Last edited:

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
To be fair, it's always the concept car interior that is changed the most on the road to production. Designers always come up with some extreme design that isn't very practical for comfort or production limits.
Yup :(

toyota-ft-86-03.jpg

0681b3d3a33f088e8ad7c399f306cd7c39aafe8e.jpg

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
What cars are these?

FT86 Concept and the production 86.

Fwiw, a cabin with zippers on the dash and capacitive radio buttons through leather was never intended for production lol.

In the end, all I care about is easy-to-read instruments, low enough scuttle for good visibility and placement, low enough seat for good feel, and enough adjustability in the seat and steering wheel to be perfectly comfortable for aggressive driving (and helmet clearance).

Other than that, the dash could be made of sandpaper and the passenger seat could have pins in it for all I care. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.