U.S. Toyota Dealers without Mark Ups

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
There’s a local dealer by me (Toyota of Seattle) that takes this to the next level. Not only will they not sell out of state, they won’t sell out of the Seattle city limits. And not even the entire city of Seattle, only from a certain cross street and within

I’m in the burbs and was told, “Sorry, locals only”, but I live 15 minutes away 🙃
Wow. I know when I was calling around to out of state, I forgot to block my number on a call.... subsequently after that call I started getting bombarded by spam calls... pretty sure they sold my info. The owner even went as far as looking me up as I was talking to them.
Sponsored

LateBraker5

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Wow. I know when I was calling around to out of state, I forgot to block my number on a call.... subsequently after that call I started getting bombarded by spam calls... pretty sure they sold my info. The owner even went as far as looking me up as I was talking to them.
Yikes! That’s going way too far to dig up your personal info. We’re buying a $60k car, not $10M beachfront property

I have to say that buying my Supra was by far the absolute worst overall experience buying any car that I’ve had. Last spring / summer, called around dozens of places, only to be told of $20k markups, mandatory uncharged options, or waiting lists of 20 customers before me. I’m a pretty patient person, but I almost gave up a few times. Glad I didn’t, but it wasn’t fun.

Sounds like the market is getting a bit better, so good luck to everyone still on the hunt!

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
Yikes! That’s going way too far to dig up your personal info. We’re buying a $60k car, not $10M beachfront property

I have to say that buying my Supra was by far the absolute worst overall experience buying any car that I’ve had. Last spring / summer, called around dozens of places, only to be told of $20k markups, mandatory uncharged options, or waiting lists of 20 customers before me. I’m a pretty patient person, but I almost gave up a few times. Glad I didn’t, but it wasn’t fun.

Sounds like the market is getting a bit better, so good luck to everyone still on the hunt!
I called probably 50 places. Some dealerships were quite rude. Had one dealership just outright insult me. And another this wonderful lady that even searched around trying to help me find one. They had one but couldn't sell to out of state. Man I wish I would have been able to buy a car from her. Then @Rhane gave the heads up of the blue one I purchased. Sad it's not a manual, but wow do I love this car! Makes up for all the trouble to find one

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Yeah don’t give up! I remember it was like every two weeks or some schedule they’d release more to the dealers. The 1st place I bought from, Modern Toyota in Winston Salem NC, told me when to look on the website and search around. Just great honest people. ”Mom” was my sales person ❤

My 2nd Supra I finally settled with buying the dealer VIP package that was required. Their lowest package cost me $900 but my sales guys said that was the best they could do with a MSRP car. I hated to do it but they were so hard to come by, in the color combo I wanted.

But y’all are absolutely correct. It definitely takes patience. Crazy market out there. I hope it’s gotten better. I was very determined to get this car at that price point. For some people it’s not worth it.

However, I won’t forget the dealers that were asking $10-20k over though. Keeping them in mind never to buy from when the next Covid craze hits ;)

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
Yeah don’t give up! I remember it was like every two weeks or some schedule they’d release more to the dealers. The 1st place I bought from, Modern Toyota in Winston Salem NC, told me when to look on the website and search around.....
I second this, Modern Toyota in Winston Salem have amazing staff and charge MSRP. I currently am waiting on a Tacoma TRD Pro from them (I'm working with Marisa over there; extremely friendly)

That said I did have to travel to find a Supra at MSRP and willing to sell out of state (without additional charge). Fitzgerald Toyota Chambersburg, PA is a really small dealership in the middle of nowhere but are great people to deal with (Alex helped me out)

Like Modern Toyota, they only require a deposit once an allocation is confirmed (unlike other dealers that require it even when they don't have allocations, therefore you're not even guaranteed one)

Speaking of allocations, Toyota releases allocation twice a month. Hopefully you're on a call list..this way as soon as a dealer has an allocation they'll contact you that day.

Lastly, as good as Modern Toyota has been to me, I do try to avoid buying a new Toyota from SET (Southeast Toyota Distributor) because they annoyingly add on the most over priced items (including a $699 TOYOGUARD package which is just two oil changes and some paint sealant that'll last maybe a season). Most times these are options that cannot be negotiated out.

I prefer to deal with Central Atlantic Toyota dealerships.

1650117818190-png.png

Here are the same accessories but as you can see pricing is different due to region.

Compare.jpg

Southtown

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sti
I second this, Modern Toyota in Winston Salem have amazing staff and charge MSRP. I currently am waiting on a Tacoma TRD Pro from them (I'm working with Marisa over there; extremely friendly)

That said I did have to travel to find a Supra at MSRP and willing to sell out of state (without additional charge). Fitzgerald Toyota Chambersburg, PA is a really small dealership in the middle of nowhere but are great people to deal with (Alex helped me out)

Like Modern Toyota, they only require a deposit once an allocation is confirmed (unlike other dealers that require it even when they don't have allocations, therefore you're not even guaranteed one)

Speaking of allocations, Toyota releases allocation twice a month. Hopefully you're on a call list..this way as soon as a dealer has an allocation they'll contact you that day.

Lastly, as good as Modern Toyota has been to me, I do try to avoid buying a new Toyota from SET (Southeast Toyota Distributor) because they annoyingly add on the most over priced items (including a $699 TOYOGUARD package which is just two oil changes and some paint sealant that'll last maybe a season). Most times these are options that cannot be negotiated out.

I prefer to deal with Central Atlantic Toyota dealerships.

1650117818190-png.png

Here are the same accessories but as you can see pricing is different due to region.

Compare.jpg
Yeah SET is horrible. But at least with my dealer, their Toyogaurd comes with lifetime oil changes.

wavy warrior

First Name
Warrior
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Walk
Yeah what @LateBraker5 said. If you’re like me and want to do almost everything online, I searched the toyota website for the car I wanted (red interior/grey exterior) and found the dealers that had them. Then, I reached out to their online manager. They will have someone call you. I made it very clear what I‘d pay (MSRP) and if they were willing to do that. So basically, I did the work for them and made sure the terms were clear. You don’t have to go into the dealer. I did it for two different dealers, two Supras. Hope that helps :).

Almost forgot… at the end of the purchase, even long distance like me, they will put their “finance” guy on the phone with you to sell you lots of end of sale goodies. My recommendation, don’t buy a thing. Anything they are selling you can buy better after market. Clear coat for the vehicle, extended warranty (don’t need it), special dealer service package, you name it. It’s just not needed unless the money in your pocket is absolutely burning a hole in it and that dealer is now your favorite charity. Also, do your financing prior to going into them. Sometimes they can get the best deal. In my case, not even close. So it’s best to do your homework. It’s actually fun being in the driver’s (seat so to speak) of a car purchase.

Bottom line: it’s your money. You can be nice but firm. They will be glad to take your money. If not, move on to another dealer. You’ll get what you want… Capitalism at its best!
Appreciate the guidance. Trying to do as much research as possible, but feel like Supras are unique in the sense that they are not your average car sitting on the lot. Because they only make a few thousand a year, does this give me more or less power with the dealership since again I'd be trying to order through them online. Any tips and "homework" you share is much appreciated.

wavy warrior

First Name
Warrior
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Walk
There’s a local dealer by me (Toyota of Seattle) that takes this to the next level. Not only will they not sell out of state, they won’t sell out of the Seattle city limits. And not even the entire city of Seattle, only from a certain cross street and within

I’m in the burbs and was told, “Sorry, locals only”, but I live 15 minutes away 🙃
yea that's hilarious and absolutely trash. Do they get enough business that they can be THAT selective?

LateBraker5

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
yea that's hilarious and absolutely trash. Do they get enough business that they can be THAT selective?
Apparently they do have enough business, at least for their limited selection of cars that come in. The salesperson said they get so few cars in that they had to limit their customer base to just certain city residents. It's rather short sighted if you ask me.

Now I will forever know them as the dealer that I will NOT be going to even after supply chain eases up and things go back to normal.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Appreciate the guidance. Trying to do as much research as possible, but feel like Supras are unique in the sense that they are not your average car sitting on the lot. Because they only make a few thousand a year, does this give me more or less power with the dealership since again I'd be trying to order through them online. Any tips and "homework" you share is much appreciated.
Like I said, search online until you find the car you like. Keep changing the zip code to expand your search. Contact the dealer online. They will call you back. Ask if they will sell the car at MSRP and out of state. Once you find that, SOLD. Then you just pick a transport company. Modern Toyota used their own shipping company and was great. I promise you are not buying a Ferrari.

I found two dealers that wanted to sell me a grey/red Supra. One in MD the other in IN. Both were at MSRP (MD was a pinch more with some VIP add on). I picked the MD dealer only because it was this hard to find phantom (matte) grey and theirs was coming in sooner.

Phenomenal job @starman on the dealer specifics and regional breakdown!

TEXSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Macan GTS
I am from Dallas, and I am new to the forum. I have reached out to 11 dealers. There are dealers willing to sell at MSRP, but they add “mandatory” dealer add-ons on top of the distributor add-ons. So, what appears to be a MSRP deal is not really MSRP. The biggest scam going is the Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps installed by the distributor for $925. Their cost basis for those is likely less than $100. The search continues….

wavy warrior

First Name
Warrior
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Walk
Like I said, search online until you find the car you like. Keep changing the zip code to expand your search. Contact the dealer online. They will call you back. Ask if they will sell the car at MSRP and out of state. Once you find that, SOLD. Then you just pick a transport company. Modern Toyota used their own shipping company and was great. I promise you are not buying a Ferrari.

I found two dealers that wanted to sell me a grey/red Supra. One in MD the other in IN. Both were at MSRP (MD was a pinch more with some VIP add on). I picked the MD dealer only because it was this hard to find phantom (matte) grey and theirs was coming in sooner.

Phenomenal job @starman on the dealer specifics and regional breakdown!
Gotcha. Appreciate the wise words. Because the Supra is a bit more rare than a camry or an accord, do I have the advantage when conversing with a dealer or is it in their hands? Trying to do as much research on the purchasing and negotiating process, but they always seem to go over common vehicles like F-150s and the like.

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
I am from Dallas, and I am new to the forum. I have reached out to 11 dealers. There are dealers willing to sell at MSRP, but they add “mandatory” dealer add-ons on top of the distributor add-ons. So, what appears to be a MSRP deal is not really MSRP. The biggest scam going is the Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps installed by the distributor for $925. Their cost basis for those is likely less than $100. The search continues….
Mine had the mirror caps on too. But it was on the window sticker. You shouldn't have to pay anything more than what's on the sticker. Unless its something they can't take off like lowjack

TEXSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Macan GTS
Due to two distribution agreements Toyota signed long time ago with Gulf States and Southeast, Toyota is essentially stuck with those two distributors. They can legally add options to a factory Toyota, and list it on the Monroney Sticker. But, they are charging more for an identically equipped Toyota (when compared to states that are directly supplied by Toyota) by adding options that are of dubious value to the end customer. As for LoJack, I helped a friend negotiate it out of the deal on a Jeep even though the dealer insisted it was already installed. Turns out that it was not installed, and they use the “it’s already installed” lie to convince you that it’s a mandatory charge.

Mine had the mirror caps on too. But it was on the window sticker. You shouldn't have to pay anything more than what's on the sticker. Unless its something they can't take off like lowjack

elusive

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
I took delivery of my 3.0 Premium MT yesterday for MSRP. I'm located in Florida; if anyone is looking for a really good dealer that will sell at no mark up, reach out to Clearwater Toyota. The guy over there - his name is Steven Treu - is the best and most transparent person I've worked with. Promised me MSRP and he stuck to his word.

Here's his card if you guys want his info, super nice guy. Tell him Chris sent you and he'll take care of you.

IMG_8182.jpg
Sponsored