Can Toyota ban you for placing multiple deposits with dealers?

tm7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrx
Just started trying to find a 2023 red mt supra. Really feeling the pain. Have been calling dealers all day to figure out waitlist, deposits, MSRP, etc. One dealer I was talking to told me that if Toyota sees that you have placed multiple deposits at dealerships, they'll cancel all your deposits and ban you from purchasing cars from them? Not sure if he was BSing me or what so that I would be scared into only putting a deposit with him, but has anyone heard of this? Was hoping to put 3 or 4 refundable deposits at dealers to hopefully secure a car this year.
Sponsored

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
I donā€™t think thatā€™s true because you can get on multiple dealer lists while on the hunt for a car and havenā€™t heard about anyone getting banned. I know the struggle, I called legitimately 80 dealerships when I was on the hunt for my Supra. Hackensack Toyota in NJ had a bunch of yellow ones recently and I know Toyota of Cedar Park in Texas gets allocations frequently. Most dealerships were telling me itā€™ll be about a 1-2 year wait because their lists were so long.

OP
OP

tm7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrx
Thanks guys. Judging from the replies and looking around at other people's experiences, that sales guy was definitely BSing. Gonna forget about him and continue my journey

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Toyota USA couldnā€™t care less. Toyota sells the cars to the dealers and itā€™s the dealer responsibility to sell the car.

The dealer is just tired of people canceling their deposits because other buyers do the same thing as you.

Dealers shouldnā€™t really take a deposit unless they have an allocation to sell. Itā€™ll minimize people canceling when another dealer gets the car first.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Lol is there even a Toyota ban like Ferrari ban? I only heard of don't sell our Taco to terrorists and don't mount .50 cal spiel. šŸ¤£
They shall use that supposed resource to ban dealer markups.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Ok, I sold Toyota vehicles and we got so tired of dealing with people like you that we made our deposits NON refundable. My best advice, find a good honest sales guy at a good honest dealership, place a deposit and wait.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Ok, I sold Toyota vehicles and we got so tired of dealing with people like you that we made our deposits NON refundable. My best advice, find a good honest sales guy at a good honest dealership, place a deposit and wait.
These guys who make their deposit nonrefundable usually deliver in the end no bullshitting you?

RaceReX

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium, 2009 SRF
As far as I know, dealers donā€™t turn in names for people who put deposits down.

they do turn in names for people who buy cars, but thatā€™s for the warranty database. And it doesnā€™t get collated.

just sounds like the stereotype of a bad car dealer.

which is why, for my entire life, Iā€™d rather go to the dentist than buy a new car.

its almost to the point that Iā€™d rather have surgery than buy a new car.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
which is why, for my entire life, Iā€™d rather go to the dentist than buy a new car.

its almost to the point that Iā€™d rather have surgery than buy a new car.
wut? There are a lot more crappy dentists than sales people and they'll leave you in massive pain, and debt, remove unnecessary teeth... bit extreme and not good analogy imho... vs spending 15 min at crappy dealer. hmm šŸ¤” what have they done to you at these dealers...

Furthermore is buying used always a good experience?? Doubt.

I think next time, buy a Tesla from website. No person to deal with, maybe you need to prove you're human, that's all :D

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
i doubt this will hold in court, but it's an easy way to weed out the bullshit buyers.

the GM of the dealer will just refund the deposit if the customer tries to get their non-refundable refund back by taking it to court.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
@noogie we had a form that clearly stated the process including the deposit being non refundable, each customer signed and dated it. Iā€™m no lawyer but it seemed pretty cut and dry to meā€¦

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
@noogie we had a form that clearly stated the process including the deposit being non refundable, each customer signed and dated it. Iā€™m no lawyer but it seemed pretty cut and dry to meā€¦
only a lawyer/judge can determine the validity of that contract. i'm just saying if the customer wants to hassle you, they can challenge this in court, and the GM will probably just refund the customer to avoid all the wasted time over $500/1,000.

GMs don't want to keep anyone's money without selling a product. they just do this non-refundable strategy to avoid BS buyers that have multiple deposits and create a lot of unnecessary work for dealers. the idea is that it should weed out 95% of these types of buyers.
Sponsored