UK… ordering to delivery

mwilkinson

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra and 1996 Supra (J-Spec RZ)
Greetings everyone.

My first post on this forum. I've been using the site for a few months without registering whilst I awaited the delivery of my Supra.

I ordered it in August 2021 and I picked it up on Thursday (27th Jan) from Guildford Toyota. I have an Ice Grey 3.0 Pro.

This will join my 1996 mkiv Supra.

Alas, like many other members I've already been hit with issues. On the day of collection it was delayed after I received a call from the dealer about a battery issue. They basically had to replace the battery.

After collecting the car and driving half way home I noticed that the SatNav wasn't working and I have the dreaded USB and pin code message (I know I should have checked this whilst at the dealership!).

I'm now trying to get this sorted. I was met with the "it will activate in a few days" comments, but I thankfully have read a few threads on here that say otherwise. The car will go back in next week and hopefully the SatNav will get sorted. Apparently they have requested a new pin through the BMW system.

These issues have left a sour taste in my mouth. The dealer had the car a full week before I collected it, but it seems to me that they probably PDI'd it the morning I was due to collect it and didn't leave enough time.

Despite the above l do really like the car and I am excited to own it. I'm a big fan of the Supra franchise.

Anyone else bought through Guildford Toyota?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davidpingu

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8 Civic Type R, Mercedes GLC
Sorry to hear about your teething issues. I hope these are quickly rectified. Do you have a long drive to the dealer? This is the first car I’ve ordered using carwow and as a result when mine does arrive I’ve got to make about a 2.5 hour journey so I’ll need to make a call and run through as many pre checks as I can with them I think. I’ve ordered mine from Steven Eagell Luton.
If I got a 5 month turnaround I’d be super happy with that considering my current ETA is closer to 9 months from order.
One question I do have for you would be do you have solid confirmation of the shipping spacers on the front shocks being removed as part of the PDI?
I don’t know if this is such an issue with UK dealers but lots in the US have found these still on the car which will ruin the ride and stance of the car.
Finally, what are your early thoughts of the car, teething issues aside?

mwilkinson

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hello.

I'm only approx 30 minutes from the dealer, but it still feels that way when its costing me my time for something that should have been checked before giving the car to me.

It isn't for the purchaser to conduct an inspection of their new car to make sure the dealer has done their job - although it seems it would be prudent to do so.

I'll be sure to keep you updated on the outcome of this.

I've not checked the suspension spacers, although I was reading about this last night. I'll check this later.

In terms of the general car, I love it. I will confess I was an early hater of the car. Being a mkiv owner I wanted something a bit less BMW and a lot more powerful. My mkiv is 600 bhp, so expectation was somewhat unrealistic.

I've only done about 170 miles in her, but she is very compliant and the power delivery puts a smile on my face. I think the exhaust has been strangled since earlier models and is quite quiet, even compared to the one I had on loan last year from the dealer.

Getting a car in Jan in the UK isn't the best time as the weather has been pretty bad, so I've not been able to put my foot down.

I had the XGuard CX2 ceramic coating put on the car which has been a god send as I can quickly hose the car down and most of the salty grime comes off.

Overall I'm very happy with the car, it looks amazing and handles really well. I don't regret buying it at all.

For me the power and handling of the car is important, but more so its uniqueness. I didn't want a performance car that was only distinguishable by a wide wheel arch and badge over the rest of the generic and similar models the manufacturer offered. The Supra feels more special and exotic in comparison to these cars.

I don't think you will regret buying one.

Davidpingu

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for your feedback. All the more impressive that someone with a MkIV has positive things to say. I’m 100% with you on the generic thing.
I can’t deny BMW make strong performance cars but the sheer number of them on the road and that from a little distance there’s little to distinguish the front of a 420 from an M4 or a 218 from an M2 just leaves me feeling very ‘meh’ about the brand.
For me I think the MKV is the perfect way to enjoy a solid BMW platform without looking like everyone else.
It’s always individuality that appeals to me from the DC5 I had to the FK8 I have right now to tie me over til the MKV.
It’s just nice to have something with some personality!
Well enjoy your car, especially when the warmer days come. Any plans for it? The point on the exhaust is a frustration of mine too. I’ve had the same with my FK8, it is very quiet. An axle back system on these seems the only road legal option and they still aren’t cheap.
I won’t be looking to do much to mine but I am tempted by some of the aftermarket paddle shifters and steering wheels I’ve seen on here!

Chappers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR 3.0L Tungsten Silver
Hey all I got notified that my car should be here earlier april/may from aug/Sept when placed 17th December counting down the days haha ?

mwilkinson

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for your feedback. All the more impressive that someone with a MkIV has positive things to say. I’m 100% with you on the generic thing.
I can’t deny BMW make strong performance cars but the sheer number of them on the road and that from a little distance there’s little to distinguish the front of a 420 from an M4 or a 218 from an M2 just leaves me feeling very ‘meh’ about the brand.
For me I think the MKV is the perfect way to enjoy a solid BMW platform without looking like everyone else.
It’s always individuality that appeals to me from the DC5 I had to the FK8 I have right now to tie me over til the MKV.
It’s just nice to have something with some personality!
Well enjoy your car, especially when the warmer days come. Any plans for it? The point on the exhaust is a frustration of mine too. I’ve had the same with my FK8, it is very quiet. An axle back system on these seems the only road legal option and they still aren’t cheap.
I won’t be looking to do much to mine but I am tempted by some of the aftermarket paddle shifters and steering wheels I’ve seen on here!
No plans for mods at this time. That is a dangerous spiral and I'm quite busy with the full restoration of my MKIV Supra.

This car has been bought to use on a daily basis, so messing with it and the warranty don't seem overly sensible.

But never say never.....;)

Hey all I got notified that my car should be here earlier april/may from aug/Sept when placed 17th December counting down the days haha ?
Fingers crossed it arrives earlier. When I originally got told my delivery had been moved forward I wasn't convinced it would happen. It was very exciting when the build popped up on the MyT app.

mwilkinson

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Car is going in on Friday for the SatNav fix. Fingers crossed.

Hakiro09

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 500
Just got my first update from the dealer. They currently have no ETA. Hopefully next month I'll get better news

NDR008

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Auris, GR Supra 2.0 Dynamic
Just got my first update from the dealer. They currently have no ETA. Hopefully next month I'll get better news
When did you order?
I put mine in at end of October. For 3 months no information. But this week the dealer said the system indicates end of March. :)

Hakiro09

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 500
Hi

I ordered m
When did you order?
I put mine in at end of October. For 3 months no information. But this week the dealer said the system indicates end of March. :)
Hi
I ordered Jan 2022, so not long ago. I guess I have a while to goo_O

Davidpingu

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I checked in with mine yesterday. I ordered on 8th December 2021 and have no updates as yet. Based on the above, hopefully I can expect an actual Expected delivery date by the end of March

NDR008

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Auris, GR Supra 2.0 Dynamic
I checked in with mine yesterday. I ordered on 8th December 2021 and have no updates as yet. Based on the above, hopefully I can expect an actual Expected delivery date by the end of March
Currently they are picking up. Most ETA were 7-9 months, that was 3 months ago.
Sponsored