Vehicle was resprayed without me knowing

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Guys and gals... I have had some bad luck this past 18 hours of my Supra ownership.

My supra was vandalized last night and they broke the driver mirror, so now my supra is awaiting a new mirror to be installed. As the repair shop was putting together the estimate they noticed the car has been repainted in several locations, they called and asked me if I knew my car had been resprayed at all. I obviously said no. There were several places on the hood, front fender, and rear fenders. The rear fender has a lot of paint overspray but I never noticed this since I dont know paint.

The car has only been out of my possession for a total of 16 hours when I dropped it of to get a clear bra and window tinting last week. I dont think it is possible to respray parts of a car in 16 hours but I could be wrong. Am I? Like I said I dont know paint.

I called the dealership and they are looking into it. Supposedly it was at 2 other dealerships prior to getting to them and it had 100 miles on the odo when i accepted delivery 3 weeks ago.

To the point of this. I would have never bought this vehicle if I would have known there was respraying for any reason. I would have rather paid MSRP for a 2021 with zero needing to be resprayed. I understand cars get damaged during transportation but when I pay this much for this vehicle I prefer no paint damage at all. I dont want to get rid of the car over this issue but this clearly impacts the value and the fact that the damage/respray was never mentioned, because like I said I wouldnt have completed the purchase. Anyone run into this before? Got any advice? I am a little at a loss right now and not sure what to do in this situation. Feel free to PM me.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Port/dealer repairs sold as new with no history is fairly common on new cars.

This is why I never trust the dealer and check the car with my own eyes prior to delivery. If it was a daily driver, however, I would not be so picky.

Jason In2details

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Yellow
I am very surprised any pro Clear Bra Shop would miss overspray on a car? IT quite possible a pro detailer could remove overspray without a problem.

lowlife

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2004 VW R32
Port/dealer repairs sold as new with no history is fairly common on new cars.

This is why I never trust the dealer and check the car with my own eyes prior to delivery. If it was a daily driver, however, I would not be so picky.
Exactly, I knew so many MK6 GTI/R owners who ran into this issue. Depending on the state the dealer only has to disclose the damage if it exceeded 3-6% of the MSRP. Which means your car assuming MSRP was about 53k could have anywhere from $1590-$3180 in repairs and they didn't have to tell you.

OP
OP
Suggs.OR

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The issue I am worried about is this car was at 2 other dealerships and had 100 miles on the odometer when i took delivery. So there is the possibility that it wasnt damaged during transportation and should have been disclosed. Oregon is $1000 or more of damage at market rate repairs for notification of any damage. With this vehicle specifically, I would have never bought with a respray.

lowlife

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2004 VW R32
You can lawyer up I guess. The dealers are going to play the blame game between each other more than likely. I personally would not have taken delivery of a "new" vehicle with 100 miles on the odometer in the first place, but thats me.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
a lot of cars gets damaged at the port and some get resprayed at the port or some at the dealership.

my car arrived at dealerhsip and when they load the car off the trailer, the driver scraped the whole left back bumper. right away they re-sprayed it at local body shop..and i walked away from the deal.. dont want dmaaged car.

what color did you get? some colors are easy to spot the blotchiness

OP
OP
Suggs.OR

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got the car in the nocturnal black. These respray parts were very noticeable once someone pointed it out. I always just thought it was from the way I was looking at it. Luckily I have this issue mainly resolved. The dealership has bought back the car at the original purchase price that I paid and now I start the search for a 2021.

To make this story as short as possible, the car was found to be damaged while at the original dealership, they repaired it and passed it onto the dealership where I bought it as new with no records of the repair. From my understanding of Oregon law any repairs prior to purchase must be recorded. I could have interpreted that wrong though because I am not a lawyer. Either way, the dealership sold it to me. I find the damage on a Monday and call them. By that following Thursday they offered to buy the vehicle back from me at the cost I paid. They just bought back the car yesterday.

OP
OP
Suggs.OR

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s an awesome dealership. I would definitely go back to get a 2021.
I would go back to the dealership for any other purchase, but right now after this I just need to go with someone else.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I would go back to the dealership for any other purchase, but right now after this I just need to go with someone else.
I wouldn't. They've proven themselves to be a good dealership. If anything this would refrain me from going elsewhere because you know now if there's a problem, they'll fix it.

OP
OP
Suggs.OR

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I havent totally counted them out. I told my sales guy I would be open to working with him if they wanted to. Paperwork with the buy back is still getting figured out with title being in the middle of being processed so who knows what will happen.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
My supra was vandalized last night and they broke the driver mirror, so now my supra is awaiting a new mirror to be installed
Sorry to hear about this, I'm glad you have a solid dealership taking care of you. As for the vandalizing, did someone just smash your mirror? Was it parked out in the street? I hate hearing about stuff like this happening and takes the fun out of owning something nice.
Sponsored