Was this a good ppf install?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
You do have a point... šŸ¤” thats probably why i don't have PPF.
I donā€™t run ppf on my Supra.. mainly because I want to enjoy the car and not save it for the next guy.. That said, my Supra is a garage queen so I donā€™t drive her much to begin with.. and when I do, surface streets only.

My other cars run ppf.
Sponsored

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
I scanned over the other folk's comments very briefly. I'll just add that, from the photos provided, there are definitely areas where they did a substandard job. There are so many bends and crevices on the Supra that I'm sure it's a challenging car to get right, but there shouldn't be any loose edges or bends where the film is lifting. Parts should be put on the car correctly. If this is a full car PPF job for $5k that's really on the cheap end of the spectrum, but things need to be corrected by a professional. When I had mine done the installer actually came out to my house a couple of times to give attention to areas I had that were of a concern. He didn't want to wait until I had time to bring it to him, because the longer you wait the harder it is to correct.

Steventje

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
No way, there was no love in that work. I only have front PPF (Bumper, headlights and hood), and it's near perfect, I don't even notice it up close unless you look around the sensors. Definitely ask for a refund. I would have sleepless nights if I paid for that.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I donā€™t run ppf on my Supra.. mainly because I want to enjoy the car and not save it for the next guy.. That said, my Supra is a garage queen so I donā€™t drive her much to begin with.. and when I do, surface streets only.

My other cars run ppf.
Arguably, I doubt most people get PPF to increase resale value - I feel like minor chips and wear and tear like this barely makes a difference on value when selling and you're never going to have the PPF pay for itself in resale value. Especially if you sell to like carvana or something, won't make a scrap of difference then, speaking from experience.

I think most people get it because they are anal about their car looking pristine and would rather shell out cash ahead of time instead of risking having to look at an ugly chip. Whether that is worth it or not is really up to the individual.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Arguably, I doubt most people get PPF to increase resale value - I feel like minor chips and wear and tear like this barely makes a difference on value when selling and you're never going to have the PPF pay for itself in resale value. Especially if you sell to like carvana or something, won't make a scrap of difference then, speaking from experience.

I think most people get it because they are anal about their car looking pristine and would rather shell out cash ahead of time instead of risking having to look at an ugly chip. Whether that is worth it or not is really up to the individual.
Yeah, I don't think you understood me because I type like a retard. I'm not talking about resale value.. I honestly don't care about resale value. What I'm talking about is PPF is not the most pretty thing.. sure some of the custom installs where they don't use pre-cuts can look very clean, but the best look is without clearbra...especially on a black garage queen.. a 3 inch car. So while I own the car, I don't want to see clearbra on my Supra.

I run clearbra on my other cars as I drive them pretty hard and it's a compromise between having chips or having ugly outlines around my bumpers close up. I install clearbra on my own so it's not expensive to do at all, a couple hundred bucks won't stop me. Hell, I'm a guy with a useless Eventuri intake and engine cover and 3D Designs CF paddles. Complete waste of money and I love them.

Clearbra is only good for smaller rock chips.. bigger rocks including 100MT bolders will usually still chip your paint and buckle your bumper and hood in under the bra.. I know because I usually replace clearbra after a couple of years on my daily drivers as it's a wear item.

I also think my kindergarden teacher was an arse.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra A91 (Refraction)
I would have been pissed. The scratch/gouge would have pissed me off. I would have them remove that shit PPF job and get my money back.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m worried about. The point of ppf is to protect to get a scratch worse than a rock chip in the process. Def not ā€œnormal.ā€

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PPF is never perfect, and our cars are one of the most difficult. However, that job is still butchered. Some of the stuff is ok, but the cuts into the paint, the tears along the cuts, etc are pretty bad. They should be refunding and paying to repair the damage done.
Agreed. This car his harder then a good portions of exotics. Iā€™m quite worried about the cuts. Have no idea how I would fix that.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gonna be blunt here, the work looks about as nice as a plumbers azz. I also have full body ppf+ceramic, xpel. Install was of flawless quality and everything is still holding up perfectly one year later. Make them fix this or demand a refund, amateur work. Wouldn't have taken it home like this. One thing I learned about products like this, weather it's a Gucci bag for the wife or a louis wallet for me, always always check the seams, always check the stitch work. Artisan crafts where hand work is being done require extra attention to detail before receiving the product,Due to these sort of problems and imperfections.
Ppf is not perfection. Iā€™m sure you have faults.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is the reason why it's worth 'dealing with.' If it were me (and I know I'm not everyone), and it was just a bad job, I'd just cut my losses and have it redone. But it's in the paint. This needs to be dealt with.
agreed. appreciate it.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thats pretty crappy, i paid 1800 for front half and the worst part of it, that im really not happy with but decided to live with it is a nastsy Frankenstein stitch overlap crap under the front nose. His excuse was i didnt want an cutting on the car so he had to overlap the small filler piece that butts up to the mest grill, to which i said you could have marked it and trimmed it on the bench before pulling off the backing. after seeing clear coats coming up i didnt want them to pull it and risk needing paintwork.

20211011_121223.jpg
20211012_111130.jpg
its certainly a hard car to ppf. at least that's kinda hidden.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Step 1: tell them you will dispute the charge on your credit card if the donā€™t redo it. Tell the owner to personally check their work. Someone mentioned this previously and itā€™s great advice. It assumes you paid on a cc.

If you are not happy with second time, send your original post on this thread to credit card company as proof along with whatever customer service guarantee they have. Get refunded.

Step 2: find out who PPFs the cars for the exotics (Ferrari, Lambo, McClaren) and take your car there. Their price may be higher but you are paying 90% for skill/experience/customer service and 10% for product. This is what I did. I found the smallest issue with mine (I am SUPER picky) and they redid the entire section. The PPF is awesome now. Our cars are harder to PPF than most exotics. Ask them how many Supras theyā€™ve done too.

Also, if the price is really high and money is an issue, just get the front half of the car fully PPFed. This is what I did. Biggest bang for the PPF buck IMHO.
if he damaged the paint already I hesitate in him fixing it. Might just cut losses here.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gonna be blunt here, the work looks about as nice as a plumbers azz. I also have full body ppf+ceramic, xpel. Install was of flawless quality and everything is still holding up perfectly one year later. Make them fix this or demand a refund, amateur work. Wouldn't have taken it home like this. One thing I learned about products like this, weather it's a Gucci bag for the wife or a louis wallet for me, always always check the seams, always check the stitch work. Artisan crafts where hand work is being done require extra attention to detail before receiving the product,Due to these sort of problems and imperfections.
It's a hard car to do man. But, yes this is not good. below average.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Quick answer to subject line is ā€˜noā€™.

I get folks wanting ppf on front bumper and hood, maybe fender and rockers, but why the entire car?

Do you like wear a frikken raincoat while with your girl friend/wife? wtf?
main reason is its special edition paint.
Sponsored