Went to the track tonight, much was learned…

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Decided before the weather get god awful here in Fl I’d try to get to the track with the new tune and see how things went. In the process learned a few things.

1. I bumped up to e40, I thought this will be ok I was e30 before whats a little more ethanol… Current tune did NOT like that at all. Car felt sluggish and even short shifted 2, 3 4th gear. of course I forget to hit “start logging” so I didn’t know why.

2. At near 500rwhp the 305/30 PS4S’s are NOT up to track duty. NT555RII’s will be getting ordered. When I actually built a bit of boost and left hard in 2nd it just massacred the tires, didn’t even finish that run.

3. Leaving at a much lower 2nd gear and about 1800 rpm it got out better (track prep tonight was really good) but still spun as soon as boost kicked in but I stayed in it ended up being the better run of the evening.

Overall it went 11.5 @ 118mph which I felt was off the pace it just didn’t feel good (such is my luck when I go to the track)
For comparison. With catted downpipe and Jb4 map 3 went 11.98 @ 113
with catless downpipe on JB4 map 5 went down to 11.79 @ 116
then tonight it very traction limited and with the wrong fueling went 11.5 @ 118. It’s got more in it for sure. I did manage some 1.7 60’ times, on a street tire not to bad but it took work to do it.

Mod list is Injen intake/charge pipe, turbo inlet, catless DP, AFE exhaust, not so great tires and JB4 with Backend MHD flash tune custom Map 6

When I got out I ran a quick log file and immediately saw the problem trims maxed out and timing in 3rd gear dropped all the way to 0* for a long time before it recovered and if then it was pulling timing all over. The last time I saw that I had to pull back on the ethanol content. Stopped into WaWa and put 3 gallons of premium it and let it mix and low and behold trims dropped way back down where the should be and viola all my timing came back and the car started running amazing.

So that was a bummer that i had it jacked up for the runs (of which I only got 3 cuz BMP is slow as hell running the lanes). I got it dialed back in, gonna order tires as these are about all done, I did a 3rd gear run and the car just roasted the tires into 4th. It’s got more in it on a tire and the right fuel, maybe low 11, high 10 on a tire. Lessons learned, run a tire, don’t mess with your e content when the car is running good 🤪
Sponsored

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
It was never designed to be a drag racing car out of the box haha.

This is to be expected but at least you were able to make a few passes in the process.

I'm sure the more drag/roll racing folks will chime in on tires, wheels, etc.

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Yea it’s way better on a roll but without a tire even that is dicey right now. 3rd gear with T/C turned off and the car steps out sideways all the way through 3rd and doesn’t get it together until your well into 4th.
Sponsored