What Tire Brands are you running?

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
So I just did my stock wheels in White, which I really like but I also like black. Since I have an extra set of ADV1’s I’m having them powder coated in black so I can swap to fit my mood. Which means I need to grab another set of tires. I have Michelin Pilot Sports (AS front, PS4 rear) right now but those are a little big for the other rims I have so I’m going to run a 255 front (on 8.5” rim) and 295 or 285 rear since my 305’s rubbed a little because of the offset.

So that leads to me this post. I’m lookin at a few brands and since this car seems finicky as hell with tires and handling I wanted to know what everyone is running.

My initial thoughts since this is a 2nd set is the Falken Azenis FK510’s. I’ve read some great reviews on this tire and they say it’s up there with the big boys and it’s about $600 cheaper a set.

So here is what I was thinking maybe you guys/gals can add some other options you’ve had good luck with:
Falken Azenis FK510
Michelin PS4S (tried and true but top dollar)
Toyo R888’s
Continental but not sure which one is the best for performance.

I’ve run Yokohama Advan’s on my Miatas and they stick like glue but tire rack reviews did not favor them well.
No Experience running a Bridgestones, Kumho. Pirelli I’ve not been a fan of, they came on a lot of my Mustangs and just never performed well IMHO.

The key thing is traction, as well all know you start adding power and this thing doesn’t want to hook at all. My 305 Michelins on stock rims do a good job of getting most of the power down and with the 275/305 setup on stock rims the car feels awesome. Thats just a tad to aggressive a tire for the other rims.

So what do ya’ll run And how do you like them?
Sponsored

Mk5phtm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra Phantom
Also curious to see others’ opinions and experiences with the Falken Azenis FK510’s

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Maxxis Victra RC-1s on a square 275/35-18 track setup and LOVE it!!!!

They slip and slide in the rain 🛝 Great in the dry

Last edited:

sojusoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
Driving on Falken Rt660 with 305s in the back. Can't say much about road noise because my car is loud. Pretty useless when the Temps drop and they are ok in the rain as long as you are not being a dumb ass.

Best review would be how they handle.on the track which I have yet to do. For street tires I like them.

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Maxxis Victra RC-1s on a square 275/35-18 track setup and LOVE it!!!!
I have never even heard of that tire! It’s a full slick so that makes sense but it looks sick!

MK5_Guevara

First Name
Giuliano
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
So I just did my stock wheels in White, which I really like but I also like black. Since I have an extra set of ADV1’s I’m having them powder coated in black so I can swap to fit my mood. Which means I need to grab another set of tires. I have Michelin Pilot Sports (AS front, PS4 rear) right now but those are a little big for the other rims I have so I’m going to run a 255 front (on 8.5” rim) and 295 or 285 rear since my 305’s rubbed a little because of the offset.

So that leads to me this post. I’m lookin at a few brands and since this car seems finicky as hell with tires and handling I wanted to know what everyone is running.

My initial thoughts since this is a 2nd set is the Falken Azenis FK510’s. I’ve read some great reviews on this tire and they say it’s up there with the big boys and it’s about $600 cheaper a set.

So here is what I was thinking maybe you guys/gals can add some other options you’ve had good luck with:
Falken Azenis FK510
Michelin PS4S (tried and true but top dollar)
Toyo R888’s
Continental but not sure which one is the best for performance.

I’ve run Yokohama Advan’s on my Miatas and they stick like glue but tire rack reviews did not favor them well.
No Experience running a Bridgestones, Kumho. Pirelli I’ve not been a fan of, they came on a lot of my Mustangs and just never performed well IMHO.

The key thing is traction, as well all know you start adding power and this thing doesn’t want to hook at all. My 305 Michelins on stock rims do a good job of getting most of the power down and with the 275/305 setup on stock rims the car feels awesome. Thats just a tad to aggressive a tire for the other rims.

So what do ya’ll run And how do you like them?
I am on the market for tires and found your thread, from what i read you are running 275/305 on your stock rims correct? I am not looking to replace my wheels yet so I wanted to see if going up on size like you mentioned was a good idea for normal daily driving since I'm not tuned yet so there's not a lot of power increase yet. However, I would like the car to handle a little better. Would you say that your set up would help me do that?

thanks!

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Absolutely. Combo works great and looks great and the car drives fantastic. Definitely a more aggressive look especially from behind. Everything fits fine. Make sure you have a good shop do the mounting and balancing nobody wants scratched rims or shaky tires

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Also following this thread. In the next several weeks, my car is going in for some big power mods and custom flex tuning. I should end up someone in the 500+whp range with e blend. I've read a few other threads in this forums where people say once you're in that power range, you need to start looking at R rated compound tires with 200tw or less. This car is a weekend around town, highway fun, and mountain pass car (including tail of the dragon and similar roads in the smokies).

On the stock rims and on stock suspension, i've ben able to ascertain that up front, even with spacers, max advised width from most folks is 275 front and 295 rear on factory wheels, especially if you want to keep predictable handling in check and sidewall flex to a minimum.

That said, most people that are tuned seem to be running these (but not all of these come in size combination noted above):

1. PSS - stock tires are trash and i'm currently on these but need to ditch them :-(
  2. Continental Extreme Contact Sport 02 (highly reviewed tire and outperforms PS4S currently) but not sure this will be able to handle higher power levels....
  3. Michelin PS4S - have these on my GTI and love them but that car is a completely different situation and way less HP. Can still spin the fronts in that car w/ this tire though.
  4. Pirelli P Zero - had these on a previous car and didn't really care that much for them IMO
  5. Toyo R88R - well rated tire for autocross and high performance driving. Not sure even this tire will be able to provide traction at 500whp. Anyone have commentary on this?
  6. FALKEN AZENIS RT660 - these seem to get average reviews at Tire Rack, haven't ever used them
  7. Nitto NT555RII - had the first iteration of this tire over 15 years ago and they hydroplane like a mofo back then, folks seem to say not much has changed w/ the evolution of the tire but the compound is sticky and life are pretty good for dry days.
  8. Michelin Cup 2's - track tire that gets great reviews but is top of class on $
  9. Various MT tires - lots of sidewall flex that are not really designed for spirited driving outside of straight lines....just what i've read.
Am i missing anything i should be considering/looking at that might hook at 500whp that is not a drag radial? I do most of my driving around town and in the mountains when i make it out there. Thanks in advance, love the communities knowledge and suggestions!

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
The stock rear rim is 10” wide and a 305 works great it also keeps it closest to the stock 275 tires diameter which is 26.6 and the 305 is 26.2 the 295 is 25.9 almost 3/4” shorter in diameter. This affects gearing and Speedo accuracy. If you get to far out of whack with the front tire diameter can affect the VSC as wheels speed differences can play havoc with the computer l, luckily there is some adjustment in the vehicle settings to help.

I can tell you at 500whp the PS4S isn’t going to be much help there. Even 2nd gear launches will net you a lot of wheels spin thru 3rd. Even rolls in 3rd it trips the traction control at 40mph. As long as you pedal it a bit they will do ok but nothing like a drag radial (Nitti/MT).

another thing that hurts your launch is lowering springs unfortunately. You take a huge amount of weight transfer out of the equation by putting a spring that is both stiffer and has less travel, at that point it’s simple physics. They look amazing but if you want better traction the stock spring allows a lot of weight transfer. I ripped a 0-60 in 3.3 in the street before I lowered it after it was much harder to launch, even at the track.

all things to consider pending your goals. It’s about how you stack items together and not just 1 item in particular.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
The stock rear rim is 10” wide and a 305 works great it also keeps it closest to the stock 275 tires diameter which is 26.6 and the 305 is 26.2 the 295 is 25.9 almost 3/4” shorter in diameter. This affects gearing and Speedo accuracy. If you get to far out of whack with the front tire diameter can affect the VSC as wheels speed differences can play havoc with the computer l, luckily there is some adjustment in the vehicle settings to help.

I can tell you at 500whp the PS4S isn’t going to be much help there. Even 2nd gear launches will net you a lot of wheels spin thru 3rd. Even rolls in 3rd it trips the traction control at 40mph. As long as you pedal it a bit they will do ok but nothing like a drag radial (Nitti/MT).

another thing that hurts your launch is lowering springs unfortunately. You take a huge amount of weight transfer out of the equation by putting a spring that is both stiffer and has less travel, at that point it’s simple physics. They look amazing but if you want better traction the stock spring allows a lot of weight transfer. I ripped a 0-60 in 3.3 in the street before I lowered it after it was much harder to launch, even at the track.

all things to consider pending your goals. It’s about how you stack items together and not just 1 item in particular.
Good to know, i just recalled from a lot of dialog that a 305 is really out of spec for a 10" rim but thanks for the input. Yeah, i know that to be honest, most of the tires in the list i shared aren't probably going to hook but i'm not out to just roll race this beyotch, i'll just have to very conscience of the right foot. :)

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium

What performance mods did you have when you did 3.3?

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Honestly very little. Catted DP, JB4, 93 maybe cold air. One reason was it was the right amount of power for the tire on the car so it hooked up pretty good. Right now at almost 500 wheel horsepower. I did 3.9 yesterday. Pretty much spinning through second gear, third gear and a little bit sideways. Lol.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Honestly very little. Catted DP, JB4, 93 maybe cold air. One reason was it was the right amount of power for the tire on the car so it hooked up pretty good. Right now at almost 500 wheel horsepower. I did 3.9 yesterday. Pretty much spinning through second gear, third gear and a little bit sideways. Lol.
Very nice, 93 tune, so I assume Map 2?

Yeah, for 500whp+ def need some beefy tires for launch.

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Yea I think that sounds about right.

As for 305’s in the other post, Yea it’s a teenie bit out spec but I just look at it as extra curb protection 😂
Sponsored