OP
OP
Aryanenzo

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
if you have buddy who owns a newer bmw or are close to some of the guys in here you could try swapping the wheels and going for a test drive, if it's the tires you should notice a change in 2 minutes :)
I don't. This is the problem. I have no one to change tires with to test. I'd have to buy new tires.
Sponsored

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
i know it's a long shot but you could try stopping by a beemer dealer and explaining the problem, if you're lucky and they are customer focused they could lend you a set of wheels for a test drive ?
they are bound to have used wheels around so it shouldn't big problem for them, but you never know..

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
another option could be to stop by a tire shop and take one of the guys with you for a testdrive, if they confirm it's the tires you could suggest to buy a new set if they can guarantee it will solve the issue and if not that they will have to take them back ?

Both of these suggestions are based on how stuff like that works here in Norway, not sure if it's at all possible in Canada but I sure hope it is

OP
OP
Aryanenzo

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I'm planning on getting continental DWS06+. The narrower thrrad blocks should help with the noise. I'm driving on asphalt.

OP
OP
Aryanenzo

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Had my mechanic drive the car and he said it seems the tires are causing some kind of resonance but there's no abnormal wear. I have about 4.9mm of tread left.

Does anyone know what the quietest summer tire is with excellent wet performance for PNW. Or perhaps I should go with all seasons like DWS06+?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Had my mechanic drive the car and he said it seems the tires are causing some kind of resonance but there's no abnormal wear. I have about 4.9mm of tread left.

Does anyone know what the quietest summer tire is with excellent wet performance for PNW. Or perhaps I should go with all seasons like DWS06+?
In general, traction and noise will be proportional (or resolution inversely so) - at least that's been my experience. I went with PS4S and they're a bit louder than the OE PSS rubber... but I'm happy to make the trade because the handling is improved. I'd bet that the DWS06's will be a much quieter tire with good wet performance... but nowhere near the grip in dry conditions (and possibly not quite as good in wet as the PSS). But if you want to drive it year round up there... either having two sets or running AS tires all year would be normal.

I live somewhere with only 1 season (maybe 1.5) so it didn't make sense for me.

RobGun239

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 MY 2023
Hey everyone,

sorry to dig out this old thread, I'm having the same issue with my Supra and I'm starting to loose my mind. The car is brand new, with not even 2000 miles. The noise in the video sounds the same or at least very similar. Did you manage to find the problem?

For me the noise appeared after changing to a brand new set of Continental winter tires (at 30, 60 and 80 mph). I've been to the dealership several times, they balanced the wheels and calibrated the toe which seemed to be off for the rear axle. Ever since it's not that loud anymore but it's still there and really annoying.

Weirdly enough, it never changes in pitch or volume, no matter how fast I go. Braking, accelerating, tight turns or putting it in neutral while driving doesn't affect it either.

In a few days I have another appointment where they want to put on the summer tires to see if the noise disappears and they also want to call in a Toyota engineer. However, I'm not so optimistic, never had a car at a dealership that often...

OP
OP
Aryanenzo

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Hey everyone,

sorry to dig out this old thread, I'm having the same issue with my Supra and I'm starting to loose my mind. The car is brand new, with not even 2000 miles. The noise in the video sounds the same or at least very similar. Did you manage to find the problem?

For me the noise appeared after changing to a brand new set of Continental winter tires (at 30, 60 and 80 mph). I've been to the dealership several times, they balanced the wheels and calibrated the toe which seemed to be off for the rear axle. Ever since it's not that loud anymore but it's still there and really annoying.

Weirdly enough, it never changes in pitch or volume, no matter how fast I go. Braking, accelerating, tight turns or putting it in neutral while driving doesn't affect it either.

In a few days I have another appointment where they want to put on the summer tires to see if the noise disappears and they also want to call in a Toyota engineer. However, I'm not so optimistic, never had a car at a dealership that often...
I've sold the car since and bought a ND2 MX5.

However I did realize what the sound was. The same thing happened when I switched the tires on the Miata. It is the tire compound itself creating resonance with certain asphalts.
It does change with changing the alignment because its less tire noise.

It is 100% the tires. My Extreme Contact Sports were making the same sound until they wore in a bit more and now its really imperceptible. On the Supra, it happened on the stock PSS tires and it never got better. On my BRZ, the PS4S made the same sound. On my Mitsubishi GTO TT, the tires it had made the same sound, but only in British Columbia and not Alberta.

RobGun239

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 MY 2023
Thanks for the quick response!
I can understand why you sold it. A car with that price tag shouldn't have this kind of problem, especially not a BMW ๐Ÿ™ƒ
At least it's "just" the tires and not something else. I will report back here after I get a response from the dealership, for anybody else who encounters the same problem.

OP
OP
Aryanenzo

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Thanks for the quick response!
I can understand why you sold it. A car with that price tag shouldn't have this kind of problem, especially not a BMW ๐Ÿ™ƒ
At least it's "just" the tires and not something else. I will report back here after I get a response from the dealership, for anybody else who encounters the same problem.
I sold it for the following three reasons:

More rattles than my 5 year old BRZ. Ended up taking apart the interior and inserting foam
Absolutely garbage sound system. The MX5 has a better system.
Burn a quart of oil every 1600 miles or so. Toyota refused to do anything about it.
After 6-7 dealership visits in a year of ownership I decided it was time to let go.

Other misc things:
The steering wheel felt awful, even after getting an aftermarket one. Its just the wrong shape.
No external trunk release
wind buffeting (Yes i know there's a fix but we shouldn't be having to do this stuff buying a $55000 Toyota/BMW product.)
Poor visibility, the only car that is worse is the Camaro
Seats were hard, uncomfortable, not supportive.
Poor steering feel and feedback.
Every god damn time i pulled on the door to close it there was a creak that made the car feel so cheap. Some really cheap plastics were used all over the interior as well.

Doesn't feel like they really thought this car out like they did with the 86 twins. They just wanted to rush a product out with the Supra name. There are so many issues with this car, it shouldn't be rattling and vibrating like this for example. It should have never had the wind buffeting issue. It should've had a external trunk release. We shouldn't have to cut holes to create subwoofer exhaust ports. There shouldn't have used a BMW X1 steering wheel. Somewhere along the line during development someone messed up big time. My 2021 ND RF with a hardtop roof has less rattles than this supra ever did.

Jay_

First Name
JONGWON OH
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0
๋น ๋ฅธ ๋‹ต๋ณ€ ๊ฐ์‚ฌํ•ฉ๋‹ˆ๋‹ค!
์™œ ํŒ”์•˜๋Š”์ง€ ์ดํ•ด๊ฐ€ ๋˜๋„ค์š”. ๊ทธ ๊ฐ€๊ฒฉํ‘œ๊ฐ€ ๋ถ™์€ ์ž๋™์ฐจ๋Š” ์ด๋Ÿฐ ๋ฌธ์ œ๊ฐ€ ์žˆ์–ด์„œ๋Š” ์•ˆ ๋ฉ๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. ํŠนํžˆ BMW๋Š” ๊ทธ๋ ‡์ง€ ์•Š์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.๐Ÿ™ƒ
์ ์–ด๋„ ๊ทธ๊ฒƒ์€ "๊ทธ๋ƒฅ" ํƒ€์ด์–ด์ด์ง€ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ๊ฒƒ์ด ์•„๋‹™๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. ๋™์ผํ•œ ๋ฌธ์ œ๊ฐ€ ๋ฐœ์ƒํ•˜๋Š” ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ๋ถ„๋“ค์„ ์œ„ํ•ด ๋Œ€๋ฆฌ์ ์œผ๋กœ๋ถ€ํ„ฐ ๋‹ต๋ณ€์„ ๋ฐ›์€ ํ›„ ์—ฌ๊ธฐ์— ๋‹ค์‹œ ๋ณด๊ณ ํ•˜๊ฒ ์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
[/์ธ์šฉํ•˜๋‹ค]
์ €๋Š” ์˜์–ด๋ฅผ ๋ชปํ•˜๋ฏ€๋กœ ๋ฒˆ์—ญ๊ธฐ๋ฅผ ์ด์šฉํ•˜์—ฌ ์ดํ•ดํ•ด ์ฃผ์‹œ๊ธธ ๋ฐ”๋ž๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.

2.0 ์ˆ˜ํ”„๋ผ๋ฅผ ํƒ”๋Š”๋ฐ ์ง€๊ธˆ์€
์ €๋Š” 900๋งˆ์ผ-2023๋…„ 45์ฃผ๋…„ ์ˆ˜ํ”„๋ผ๋ฅผ ๊ฐ€์ง€๊ณ  ์žˆ์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.

2022๋…„ 2.0 ์ˆ˜ํ”„๋ผ์—์„œ 2๋…„๋™์•ˆ ์ด๋Ÿฐ ์†Œ์Œ์„ ๋“ฃ์ง€ ๋ชปํ–ˆ๋Š”๋ฐ,

์†Œ๋ฆฌ์˜ ์‹œ์ž‘์€ 37๋งˆ์ผ ์ดํ›„๋ถ€ํ„ฐ ์‹œ์ž‘๋ฉ๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
์ด์ œ ์ด์ƒํ•œ ๋ฐ”๋žŒ์†Œ๋ฆฌ ๋•Œ๋ฌธ์— ์—์–ดํŒŸ์„ ๋ผ๊ณ  ๊ณ ์†๋„๋กœ๋ฅผ ์šด์ „ํ–ˆ์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. :(

๊ฒฐ๊ตญ ์ด ๋ฌธ์ œ๋ฅผ ํ•ด๊ฒฐํ•˜์…จ๋‚˜์š”?

์ด ๋ฌธ์ œ๊ฐ€ ํ•ด๊ฒฐ๋˜๊ธธ ๊ฐ„์ ˆํžˆ ์›ํ•ฉ๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
Sponsored