Why I Think Everyone is Wrong About the MKV (Video)

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
You guys need to think of the MKIV Supra in STOCK form, not the 1000hp monster they become in the aftermarket. It will 100% be better than a stock MKIV. Will it be as capable? That is an entirely different question, and frankly Toyota could care less about comparing with modified MKIV's. Close to 400HP with a lighter weight and newer suspension technology will make it a better car to drive. But will it live up to the legacy? No because WE have created the legacy of the supra. It has had 20 years to bake. Most people do not think of the MKIV in its stock 320HP 3400LB form. They think of it as their "buddy's buddy" Supra with 1000HP and will eat anything. And of course this car will not compare to those expectations. But I think the reality is, it WILL be a better car.

And this comes from an MKIV owner.
Sponsored

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
This thing is happening with everything , and i mean it , it happens with movie remakes / series next installment , with video games , with cars .Pretty much everything that had some big success in the past automatically raises fans expectations into the stratosphere . While i tend to agree that the continuation of the product should be done very carefully and truly make something that is not just gonna sell just because is the successor of the supra for example , the reality is that not everyone will like the new car and not because it is not good or worthy of the supra name but because it simply is not for him/her. Personally i believe a supra successor should be reliable, fast , accessible and be driven as a daily driving car ( the reason i want it be 2+2) . If these things are not true i will probably not get it , not because it won't be worthy but because my needs are these .For example it could not be accessible enough or be a 2 seater , would it be not a worthy supra successor ? maybe it is but the car is not for me , i will only criticize toyota if they make a sports car that is mediocre and just try to capitalize worthy names just for profit and coolness.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Will it be as capable? That is an entirely different question, and frankly Toyota could care less about comparing with modified MKIV's. But will it live up to the legacy? No because WE have created the legacy of the supra. Most people do not think of the MKIV in its stock 320HP 3400LB form. But I think the reality is, it WILL be a better car.

And this comes from an MKIV owner.
See, you even acknowledged it....the one factor that everyone is wanting to find out, “will it be as capable” as the MKIV? You know damn well the answer to that, but you refuse to accept it, and revert back to “Toyota doesn’t care about that, they want it to outperform the MKIV in stock trim”. Why do you suppose everyone wants a MKIV Supra nowadays and not a MKI, MKII, or MKIII Supra? Its styling?....nope. It’s handling?...nope. It’s creature comforts?...hell no! Everyone wants a MKIV Supra because it is CAPABLE of (let your tuner fantasies fill in blank). Sure, WE the enthusiasts made the MKIV what it is nowadays, but WE could have only done so knowing the MKIV stout CAPABILITIES! Nissan got it right with the R35 GTR...why can’t Toyota with the MKV Supra? We need a move forward in CAPABILITY! No one cares about a 400hp factory MKV Supra that has a drivetrain limit of 500hp. As a matter of fact, Toyota would probably do much better re-selling brand new 320hp MKIV Supra's in today’s market. Why? CAPABILITY! This is why I am saying, if Toyota is smart, they will not call the new car a Supra. Toyota probably won’t bother testing the MKV drivetrain limits as they did with the MKIV....remember the MKIV was detuned heavily for street use. If they call the new car something else, and it does well in terms of CAPABILITY, then GREAT!...if not, GREAT!...at least they won’t have destroyed the Supra name and you “MKIV owners” should love that!

Last edited:

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
[QUOTE="PerformanceSound, post: 9013 Toyota probably won’t bother testing the MKV drivetrain limits as they did with the MKIV....

Then i guess Akio said it needed more edge for no reason

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
not the styling part. :rofl:

MTv8pRK.png
That’s the hottest fat ugly chick I have seen in a while come outta Japan.

Nissan openly stated that the R35’s design was more function over form....its even written in their sales literature. Besides, the facial expressions of those NSX owners (and other super car owners) when they get thier ass handed to them by a “ugly fat girl” is priceless.

Strip down all that sheet metal, and yes...Nissan got it right!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE="PerformanceSound, post: 9013 Toyota probably won’t bother testing the MKV drivetrain limits as they did with the MKIV....

Then i guess Akio said it needed more edge for no reason
That’s funny, I don’t recall anyone ever telling the team of engineers that the MKIV Supra “needed more edge.” Oh what, don’t compare it to a MKIV Supra? Well then don’t call it a MKV Supra!

There is a reason a CEO tells his engineers “it needs more edge.” That statement in its self tells us that the car is too soft to begin with....engineered then uptuned...instead of engineered then detuned.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
That’s the hottest fat ugly chick I have seen in a while come outta Japan.

Nissan openly stated that the R35’s design was more function over form....its even written in their sales literature. Besides, the facial expressions of those NSX owners (and other super car owners) when they get thier ass handed to them by a “ugly fat girl” is priceless.

Strip down all that sheet metal, and yes...Nissan got it right!
im going to borrow HKS' line. someone needs lasik if they think that hot mess looks good.
yes comparing a 91 NSX to a modern day car, ok sure. a riced out Civic has better nurburgring lap time than the Godzilla. :lol:

yeah no, the R35 is too fat, bloated, ugly, and no manual... if its such a great car than go buy one and go away... dont let the door hit you on the way out.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
See, you even acknowledged it....the one factor that everyone is wanting to find out, “will it be as capable” as the MKIV? You know damn well the answer to that, but you refuse to accept it, and revert back to “Toyota doesn’t care about that, they want it to outperform the MKIV in stock trim”. Why do you suppose everyone wants a MKIV Supra nowadays and not a MKI, MKII, or MKIII Supra? Its styling?....nope. It’s handling?...nope. It’s creature comforts?...hell no! Everyone wants a MKIV Supra because it is CAPABLE of (let your tuner fantasies fill in blank). Sure, WE the enthusiasts made the MKIV what it is nowadays, but WE could have only done so knowing the MKIV stout CAPABILITIES! Nissan got it right with the R35 GTR...why can’t Toyota with the MKV Supra? We need a move forward in CAPABILITY! No one cares about a 400hp factory MKV Supra that has a drivetrain limit of 500hp. As a matter of fact, Toyota would probably do much better re-selling brand new 320hp MKIV Supra's in today’s market. Why? CAPABILITY! This is why I am saying, if Toyota is smart, they will not call the new car a Supra. Toyota probably won’t bother testing the MKV drivetrain limits as they did with the MKIV....remember the MKIV was detuned heavily for street use. If they call the new car something else, and it does well in terms of CAPABILITY, then GREAT!...if not, GREAT!...at least they won’t have destroyed the Supra name and you “MKIV owners” should love that!
You need to stop making blank statements. I know tons of people that brought a MK4 because they love the way it looks. Its a nice timeless design. Most Supras out there aren't 1000hp+. Someone needs to stop watching F&F movies. I disagree, go drive a any previous R32/33/34 and than compare it to the R35.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
While i personally prefer how the R33 looks over how the R35 looks, the R35 has become the benchmark for many performance cars today, i mean even the new NSX is barely competing with a car that came 10 years ago , even porches and the AMG GT . This is quite a feat in my opinion . Also the engineer of the GTR wanted the car to be heavy , and keep in mind that a car this heavy does 0-100 in about 2.8 seconds , so it is not all about big engines /power and very lightweight , things are way more complex than that

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
While i personally prefer how the R33 looks over how the R35 looks, the R35 has become the benchmark for many performance cars today, i mean even the new NSX is barely competing with a car that came 10 years ago , even porches and the AMG GT . This is quite a feat in my opinion . Also the engineer of the GTR wanted the car to be heavy , and keep in mind that a car this heavy does 0-100 in about 2.8 seconds , so it is not all about big engines /power and very lightweight , things are way more complex than that
Same here, a good friend of mines brought a R33 over a used R35 for that reason and the lack of a manual.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You need to stop making blank statements. I know tons of people that brought a MK4 because they love the way it looks. Its a nice timeless design. Most Supras out there aren't 1000hp+. Someone needs to stop watching F&F movies. I disagree, go drive a any previous R32/33/34 and than compare it to the R35.
The MKIV Supra is not a pretty car, it really isn’t. Timeless design??? The RX-7, NSX, and 300ZX are pretty cars with timeless designs....the MKIV Supra isn’t. It's f@#king fast...yes....pretty?...no! This has been mentioned time and time again in publications. Does it make it a bad car? No. Heck, Lamborghini even borrowed the headlights from the 300ZX on their Diablo because Nissan did such a beautiful design....true story. By the way, I am not a F&F fan...that is one reason I never purchased a MKIV Supra....actually for that exact reason.

Exactly!...thank you. That’s what most Supra fanboys on these forums don’t know or understand. Everyone is so quick to tell others to buzz-off and go buy the "other car", but that is not point of the argument. The point is Nissan didn’t go backwards in engineering on the R35...and it’s styling was the last factor on the list during development. Again, strip down all the sheet metal and you have a car that is so over-engineered and CAPABLE that tuners haven’t even determined the drivetrains' limits....10yrs and counting.

Even the R35 owners that I have talked to admit it isn't going to win a beauty contest; they just brought it for the performance.
So true...same here, all GTR’s owners I’ve spoken to, especially folks at AMS (I live 30min away from AMS Performance) have all said “the looks were the last things I considered when I bought the GTR."

Same here, a good friend of mines brought a R33 over a used R35 for that reason and the lack of a manual.
Yup. My only gripe with the R35 is no manual option....but, every racing event I have been too in the past 3yrs...a GTR has walked away with first place trophies. What a machine.

Last edited:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
The MKIV Supra is not a pretty car, it really isn’t. Timeless design??? The RX-7, NSX, and 300ZX are pretty cars with timeless designs....the MKIV Supra isn’t. It's f@#king fast...yes....pretty?...no! This has been mentioned time and time again in publications. Does it make it a bad car? No. Heck, Lamborghini even borrowed the headlights from the 300ZX on their Diablo because Nissan did such a beautiful design....true story. By the way, I am not a F&F fan...that is one reason I never purchased a MKIV Supra....for that exact reason.
To each their own. I think the MK4 looks fu*king sweet. I love how you pass off your opinions as fact; so I guess I'll do the same. Lol putting your dated looking 300ZX with the the FD and NSX. :lol: Yes we all aware of the Lamborghini using the 300ZX headlights, but that doesn't mean the Z32 is a good looking car. I think your love as a Nissan fanboy might be showing a little. ;)
Sponsored