Why I Think Everyone is Wrong About the MKV (Video)

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
If that happens, BMW will make their own Z4 Coupe. I guess they have already done it, just as Toyota has done its Supra Roadster in case.
I don't know about that, just because at least here in the US no one really brought the E86 Z4 coupe.
Sponsored

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
If I got the moolah, then hell yeah. Just from the talks I've had with people who've been in prototypes, this car is gonna be much more than the sum of it's parts.
hmm... Care to elaborate, what have they compared the feeling to?

simply put

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bus
After thinking over, the Supra will not disappoint and will very likely the best road sportscar money can buy. I think every person has his/her definition of the best sportscar, but unless you are Horacio Pagani, Christian von Koenigsegg, Mate Rimac, James Glickenhaus, Michael Stoschek or Henrik Fisker, you will have to content yourself with what is already for sale. So from that point, anything will be imperfect, be it design, engineering or anything else.

As you might have noticed, I like (expensive and complex) transaxles for mid-front engined cars, but it is not the only criterion. So if to choose between the Corvette with transaxle or the new Supra as we know, I'll take the later.

With any choice, money also is a factor. And among all the choice out there, mid-rear, 4 cylinder turbo, 6 cylinder NA, V8, 2 or 4 seats etc, the Supra will likely be a good compromise for many. The new Supra will be between the lightweight 4 cylinder sportscars like Lotus, Alpine, Alfa, MX-5 and the bigger V8 heavier V8 cars and other more practical and rather more comfortable cars, but also more affordable and street usable than supercars, and also a better value for badge snobs that cannot justify paying 'premium' for a 'non-premium' Nissan or Honda badge.

The M2 is considered such a great car, the new Supra can only be better. And who would want a 4 cylinder Porsche 718, that is bigger in size and probably weight than the new Supra? With the fastback trunk, it will also be even more practical than the GT86 for everyday needs.

And the best thing? No one will say the the new Supra will be under-powered from factory, and yet it can be made so much faster later, just see all those M3, M4, M5, M6, X5 M and X6 M. Not many modify Porsche, but many modify BMW and Toyota. So the new Supra will have a lot of market support. There is sportscar as the new Supra, they are either all bellow (track focused and unpractical or under-powered) or way above and not always really 'sport'.

The new Supra looks like hitting the right spot, even though the Z4 Coupe has been the worst selling BMW ever. With Toyota this might change.
this,... so much!

one point of contention is i bet the 718's are still lighter. those things look huge for being how light they are. when the 981 debut it was lighter than the smaller 987 before it.

best thing you mention is the price point and how much engineering a certain price point affords. i don't think we would even see a new generation of Z4 without the supra. the last Z4 wasn't a sales success though it looked good. mercedes barely makes over and de-powers an aging SLK to keep it relevant? audi's entry into this sector is either a 4 or 5 cylinder swoopy golf. porsche dominates with the 718 by sharing development cost and model strategy with the 911. being bmw and having parts of their history hinge on 2 seater roaster i don't think they could get away with not having an entry into this segment. yet they know they can't compete with 718's when it comes to sports, prestige, and most importantly profitability. i only made sense to partner with toyota to share this platform. considering how long it took to hash out game plans for each respective version it seems that without each other neither would happen.

so toyota, ahem... GR, gets the bones and the powertrain of a car that might peak at $70k and have expectations that a $70k german 2 seat roaster has. de-content that roaster to a $45k hardtop and we might have something special on our hands.

the more i thought about this the less i cared about being 100% toyota. honestly just as excited for a 4 banger too given the bones of the car. bmw turbo 4's are second only to VW/audi's in my opinion. possibly 3100 ibs. and under $40k!

anthracite

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 Supra
I agree with just about everything David has to say and believe a majority of enthusiast that were/are looking to buying this car have felt as of late with a lot of the rumors floating around. Toyota you obviously still have time to make it right and you set the bar high with the 2JZ even if that wasn't your intent. You choose to give this new car the Supra name which the last version ended up being a legend. Lets make sure this new one follows through. B58 block with Toyota internals and a Toyota/Yamaha head sounds capable if you want to go this route....just saying.

I'm to the point now where I don't even care anymore. I've got a MKIV. I think I may end up with a GTR instead of the MK5 next to add to the collection.

Steve K>

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm to the point now where I don't even care anymore. I've got a MKIV. I think I may end up with a GTR instead of the MK5 next to add to the collection.

Steve K>
Same here....I donā€™t have a MKIV but have been researching the R35 GTR heavily now for the past two years. I had been in the market for a MKIV Supra for quite some time, but never really found clean examples. For ~$50-60k I wanted near mint MKIVā€™s but thatā€™s just not possible nowadays. So, I decided to wait for the FT-1 (now MKV Supra), and if it would be as special as the MKIV, the Iā€™d go that route....if not Iā€™d spend a bit more for a brand new GTR. To me, having a purebred sports car is top priority....in other words I donā€™t care too much for collaborations between manufacturers....especially different regions of the world as engineering mindsets vary greatly between cultures. It takes out all the competitiveness out of the sports car ownership. When you buy a Porsche, half the experience is owning Germanyā€™s finest engineering. The same thing goes for Corvetteā€™s, MKIV Supraā€™s, etc.... As much as I want to see the MKV Supra succeed, deep down I just feel like it will never be a real Toyota-engineered car....and at least to me, that is a big factor in purchasing a halo sports car. In the meantime, Iā€™ve kept myself busy with my 2JZX project. I have the funds ready for either a MKV or GT-R. My hope is that Toyota pulls a card out of its sleeves last minute and wows us all with something worthwhile.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
Guff, say the rumors are true about a 335hp inline six, auto, etc....do you plan on purchasing a MKV?
If I got the moolah, then hell yeah. Just from the talks I've had with people who've been in prototypes, this car is gonna be much more than the sum of it's parts.
hmm... Care to elaborate, what have they compared the feeling to?
Nothing that anyone's currently selling. :thumbsup:
I can say from personal experience that the newer 911 and Caymans (2009+) are much more than the sum of the parts and are truly a joy to drive. I feel that way about my S2000 too even though itā€™s a little ā€˜slowā€™ and ā€˜rough ridingā€™.

I have driven an M2 on a short test drive but didnā€™t get the full experience; many reviews say itā€™s much much more than the sum of its parts and more fun to drive than the M4 and other more powerful/expensive cars. If this car gets the similar M2 engine and magic, and shaves 2-400 lbs, we will be very lucky!

I also think some have hinted that itā€™s going to be a Caymen S type driving experience at Toyota prices... we can only hope.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious about something......rules of homologation in "production-based" cars and how it applies to the MKV Supra.

"In racing series that are "production-based", meaning that the vehicles entered in the series are based on production vehicles for sale to the public, homologation requires not only compliance with a racing series' technical guidelines (for example, engine displacement, chassis construction, suspension design and such), but it often includes minimum levels of sales to ensure that vehicles are not designed and produced solely for racing in that series. Since such vehicles are primarily intended for the race track, practical use on public roads is generally a secondary design consideration, so long as government regulations are met." - (Wikipedia)

Does this then mean that the GR Supra Concept racecar will in fact use a tuned version of the MKV Supra's engine? If so, the horsepower levels of the racecar should give us a good representation of what the production car's drive train can be capable of....no?

J90_Dreamer

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Versa
I'm curious about something......rules of homologation in "production-based" cars and how it applies to the MKV Supra.

"In racing series that are "production-based", meaning that the vehicles entered in the series are based on production vehicles for sale to the public, homologation requires not only compliance with a racing series' technical guidelines (for example, engine displacement, chassis construction, suspension design and such), but it often includes minimum levels of sales to ensure that vehicles are not designed and produced solely for racing in that series. Since such vehicles are primarily intended for the race track, practical use on public roads is generally a secondary design consideration, so long as government regulations are met." - (Wikipedia)

Does this then mean that the GR Supra Concept racecar will in fact use a tuned version of the MKV Supra's engine? If so, the horsepower levels of the racecar should give us a good representation of what the production car's drive train can be capable of....no?
This is a very good point, have the numbers been released yet?

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Just thought of the best comparison, MK4 is John Frusciante while MKV is Josh Klinghoffer

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots

I think in group three you can run a different engine as long as it is from the same manufacturer. They could stuff the 2UR in there.

That said, the GT sport video is definitely an inline six sound.