Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Again, amazing how somebody who would appear to understand the car industry, literally hasn't the slightest clue on how the development process works.

Seems to be a recurring theme here.
This guy and the guy from Pure Function should get together and make a new YouTube channel called Pure Bullshit....because I agree with you Guff, they say some of the dumbest shit.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
What i have concluded from all this process since the end of production of the JZA80 until today, is that "anticipation was much higher than the actual interest.
Rumors and myths, intentional or not, used a whole movement, a whole generation to wait the new Supra as the "Holy Grail" of the JDM new era. Especially after the NISSAN GT-R's success and resurrection as a supercar killer, relatively affordable, and based on the previous Skyline GT-R's philosophy, many believed the Supra would follow a similar path.
Something that until the last minute was living inside each one of us ....
But that, was not the case.
Reality has proven most wrong and buried every last hope of those who would hope that the new Supra would be a super GT with the status, and performance it deserved.
All these, are not words to impress or disappoint.
Automotive world has change. Especially for sportscars. But people have adjusted. We have no choice after all.
But within these new limits, the Supra could have been something else.
Purely Toyota/LEXUS/Gazoo derived. Something to deserve the Supra name status and the heavy mark that left in the JDM golden ages.
Facts talk.... Before the latest series of spyshots and the official release of the GR Supra Racing Concept, there were about 3 times more posts than after the official release.
Which proves that "anticipation was much higher than the actual interest...

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Don't know whom to blame -- if that is at all the right thing to do -- but when I type "compact sports car" in Google, it shows SUVs and CUVs. Sports cars are not what they were.

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
Don't know whom to blame -- if that is at all the right thing to do -- but when I type "compact sports car" in Google, it shows SUVs and CUVs. Sports cars are not what they were.
Yeah, I know. There's even such things as Nismo Jukes and other automotive jokes.

Sammy82

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'99 Subaru sti
I know I over exaggerated a little at the end so I'm glad some people found it funny.

The fact that that one of the most reliable sports cars in history, is now powered by one of the least reliable manufacturers parts is pretty horrific. Even if Toyota improved the engine and made it more reliable, they didn't design it from scratch and whenever you try and lift someone up, they also pull you down in the process.

To me this reeks of the same story line as the 3rd gen Eclipse. :/
BMW produce strong engines, it’s just the other bolt-ons and electronics tend to be unreliable,..

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
It’s probably safe to assume that 500-600HP will be attainable with a bone stock BMW bottom-end....but “any racer....any real racer” will probably crack open the block and reinforce it properly....BMW or not. I personally am building a 2JZ, and while I know they can handle crazy power on stock internals, I am building it completely for piece of mind and long term up-tuning.
Sponsored