Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

Mark_Supra

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Unknown
if the new Supra eventually came in the format of being a manual it would convince me of saving up to get one...a targa top and manual would be icing on the cake though...although i could be swayed by an auto..

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Garbage, they are everything that's wrong with newage journalism.

Spreading all bad mis-imformed data to all those uneducated enough to buy it.

If i was Toyota, I'd add these guys to a no press car list.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
What a croc...the guy is not man enough to say who he is our how to contact him, wouldn’t surprise me if he is an anonymous member here, enjoying our reactions to his bs articale...I say delete the post or not allow any more responses dont waist our time...

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I also saw this posted on Supraforums. I also would prefer the V35A > B58. :stirthepot:
I think we all would, no doubt. And I'm sure we all would love for Toyota to 100% be creating this project in house. And we would all love for it to have 450-500 horsepower.

But sadly that's just not this game works. If we all sat and waited for Toyota's exec to greenlight a project that checked every box on the wishlist, I assure you it would never happen. That's just how it goes. I know for a fact that there are people inside Toyota who fight tooth and nail to get the resources and funding to make sports cars beyond even our imaginations, with wild technology that Toyota develops deep in their R&D departments, but projects like those don't come to reality because they just aren't worth it for Toyota. In the end, they are a business that is designed to make profit and benefit shareholders, and focusing on sports cars and racing is not an efficient use of their resources to that end. The fact that Toyota is creating multiple production sports cars, is racing in GT3 and LMP, and is producing new concepts and technologies focused on performance is a huge step up from Toyota just a decade prior.

Everyone has a right to complain or critique the MKV Supra, of course. But the same basic misunderstanding of not only the car industry and Toyota's structure, but also vehicle dynamics and actual driving feel in favor of spec-slinging, is so goddamn tiring.

I wish people just drove more cars and tried to understand things better, but in the end I suppose ranting on the internet is just much easier. (I'm doing it right now! :p)

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I think we all would, no doubt. And I'm sure we all would love for Toyota to 100% be creating this project in house. And we would all love for it to have 450-500 horsepower.

But sadly that's just not this game works. If we all sat and waited for Toyota's exec to greenlight a project that checked every box on the wishlist, I assure you it would never happen. That's just how it goes. I know for a fact that there are people inside Toyota who fight tooth and nail to get the resources and funding to make sports cars beyond even our imaginations, with wild technology that Toyota develops deep in their R&D departments, but projects like those don't come to reality because they just aren't worth it for Toyota. In the end, they are a business that is designed to make profit and benefit shareholders, and focusing on sports cars and racing is not an efficient use of their resources to that end. The fact that Toyota is creating multiple production sports cars, is racing in GT3 and LMP, and is producing new concepts and technologies focused on performance is a huge step up from Toyota just a decade prior.

Everyone has a right to complain or critique the MKV Supra, of course. But the same basic misunderstanding of not only the car industry and Toyota's structure, but also vehicle dynamics and actual driving feel in favor of spec-slinging, is so goddamn tiring.

I wish people just drove more cars and tried to understand things better, but in the end I suppose ranting on the internet is just much easier. (I'm doing it right now! :p)
Guff, totally agree at the end of the day they are a “business” and in business to make money and cant be all things to all people or build all cars to all buyers at a price everyone one wants...what is frustrating I guess is the MKIV was such a great car in so many ways and loved so much we want a similar car with more HP, todays safety, and modern features in the 40-50-60K range and it simply cant be done...We as the buyer have choices and if the new car doesnt meet expectations for whatever reason, there are other options and Toyota knows it...The new car we know will be different in many ways, but I am confident it will still be a hell of a cool car and very successful...

OP
OP
vb22

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300

I'm fine with chassis sharing, but IMO I wish they had went the Miata/124 route instead. I'm not so much a hp queen like most on Supraforums. I and many others here have express our concern about BMW's reliability, or the lack of.

That is the sad part. Toyota is the largest automaker in terms of profit and the 2nd largest in volume. All while little Mazda is doing a RX successor all by themselves. It's just sad that Toyota would settle for a straight up reskin hardtop Z4 as the flagship of their brand. But I am glad to see that Toyota is offering more sporty products.

I feel that I have been open minded about this join venture. I'm really excited to see the production car. I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one, I'm just hoping it will still work after the warranty expires. :p

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I'm fine with chassis sharing, but IMO I wish they had went the Miata/124 route instead. I'm not so much a hp queen like most on Supraforums. I and many others here have express our concern about BMW's reliability, or the lack of.

That is the sad part. Toyota is the largest automaker in terms of profit and the 2nd largest in volume. All while little Mazda is doing a RX successor all by themselves. It's just sad that Toyota would settle for a straight up reskin hardtop Z4 as the flagship of their brand. But I am glad to see that Toyota is offering more sporty products.

I feel that I have been open minded about this join venture. I'm really excited to see the production car. I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one, I'm just hoping it still works after the warranty expires. :p
Yeah, for sure. When I'm off of my high horse, I really wish we got the Lexus 3.4TT, or some permutation of it, but despite the separation of the Toyota and Lexus divisions and the politics that lay inbetween, I'm fairly confident that that motor was considered and passed on, for some reason. It's like to ask a Toyota engineer about this sometime in the future. I have my hunches, but I don't want to be presumptive.

Additionally, I think the idea of a reskinned Z4 is widely accepted but, in reality, very wrong. This is again speculation (with founding in things I've been told by certain people), but supposedly one drive in this car will make is think it is a Toyota with a BMW badge, and not the other way around. Now, I'll reserve that statement until I've actually driven the car, as it's just hearsay at this point. Just know that Toyota did not just write a check so they could "license" the Z4. Chassis development has been Tada's #1 priority since the inception of the project.

OP
OP
vb22

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Yeah, for sure. When I'm off of my high horse, I really wish we got the Lexus 3.4TT, or some permutation of it, but despite the separation of the Toyota and Lexus divisions and the politics that lay inbetween, I'm fairly confident that that motor was considered and passed on, for some reason. It's like to ask a Toyota engineer about this sometime in the future. I have my hunches, but I don't want to be presumptive.

Additionally, I think the idea of a reskinned Z4 is widely accepted but, in reality, very wrong. This is again speculation (with founding in things I've been told by certain people), but supposedly one drive in this car will make is think it is a Toyota with a BMW badge, and not the other way around. Now, I'll reserve that statement until I've actually driven the car, as it's just hearsay at this point. Just know that Toyota did not just write a check so they could "license" the Z4. Chassis development has been Tada's #1 priority since the inception of the project.
Like others have said, probably due to cost as one of the factors. Building the engine in Japan and than having it shipped to Australia doesn't seem too economical. Also maybe not wanting a $75k+ LS to have the same engine as a "$50k" Toyota. The team also said that they wanted it to have a straight six like with past Supras.

Personally I don't mind or care that is really just a reskinned hardtop Z4, chassis wise. I just wish the Toyota team would have done a little more to differentiate their version from BMW. I would love to believe that, but the Bimmerpost insider said the "Supra" is just a Toyota in name and exterior design. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Sponsored

Last edited: